Feb 17, 2021
Hey everyone, this is the sequel to my original thread on my CPU overheating.

So I decided to test bench my computer and had a moment of genius wherein I didn't attach the cooler.
The CPU (10600k) reached a temp of 115 degrees celsius and remained there (no spiking) for 30 seconds before I realised something was amiss and shut it down immediately.

Considering the TJunction of the 10600k is 100 degrees, my question is:
How much damage have I done?
This is a new CPU, and this being the very first time it has been started up, I would love to hear how bad the damage might be.

Thanks guys and girls!

Solution
Biggest_Cheeser,

On behalf of Tom's Hardware Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Based on your description of the event, if you never booted into Windows and ran a significant load, then your processor should be OK.

As you've discovered, although Tj Max (Temperature Junction Maximum) or "Throttle" temperature is 100°C, certain new motherboards have BIOS that allows Tj Max to be set as high as 115°C, which is an extremely poor concept, as it exceeds Intel's Thermal Specifications. Altering Intel's specifications to accommodate inadequate coolers just to delay thermal throttling is NOT an acceptable or sensible solution under any circumstances...
Feb 17, 2021
From your first post.

Ran a test bench and booted into BIOS. CPU temp shot straight to 115 degrees celcius but maintained that temp (No spiking).
Is it because I didn't have the cooler on?

Never ever do that! If you have no cooler don't turn the PC on!

Probably no damage.

Believe me: This is something I'm not going to quickly forget ;p
Haha cooler is mounted now, everything is safe ... even from me :p

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Biggest_Cheeser,

Based on your description of the event, if you never booted into Windows and ran a significant load, then your processor should be OK.

As you've discovered, although Tj Max (Temperature Junction Maximum) or "Throttle" temperature is 100°C, certain new motherboards have BIOS that allows Tj Max to be set as high as 115°C, which is an extremely poor concept, as it exceeds Intel's Thermal Specifications. Altering Intel's specifications to accommodate inadequate coolers just to delay thermal throttling is NOT an acceptable or sensible solution under any circumstances. Please check your BIOS version and whether any updates are available, but regardless, definitely change it back to the correct value of 100°C.

Keep in mind that as all AIO coolers eventually fail (predominantly due to flow issues), if the Tj Max setting in BIOS is correct, then the resulting overheat condition will be limited to 100°C, NOT 115°C.

Also, as others have unanimously and overwhelmingly emphasized, never run any CPU without a cooler.

The consensus among well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders and expert overclockers, as well as Intel's Engineers, (see page 7, paragraphs 9 & 10), is that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. So regardless of environmental conditions, hardware configurations, software workloads or any other variables, Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

PdancCI.jpg

Additionally, keep in mind that Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient (room) temperature, for which the International Standard for "normal" is 22°C or 72°F. So as most users don't operate their computers in a constant thermal environment throughout the year, what may be reasonable Core temperatures during Winter months might become excessively high during Summer months. A properly sized cooler should allow for annual fluctuations in ambient temperature.

At the top of each Forum you'll see "Sticky" Threads, which are valuable information resources that are permanently "stuck" in place so they're always available for everyone's benefit. The Stickies frequently contain the information you may be seeking, which can save you time and frustration searching for answers from other sources who may be somewhat less than well informed. If you'd like to learn more about processor temperatures, then at the top of the CPUs Forum where you posted your Thread is a Sticky you should read:

Intel CPU Temperature Guide 2021

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT:sol:

Reactions: Biggest_Cheeser
Solution
Feb 17, 2021
Biggest_Cheeser,

Intel CPU Temperature Guide 2021

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT:sol:

Thank you so much for this :D What an excellent starting point to learn more.
Everyone has been super helpful and this is definitely going to keep me busy for a couple of days reading up on everything in your reply :D (And subsequently out of trouble :p )

Thanks as well for showing me how to put this as solved too. Haha was about to make a seperate thread just for that :p

Cheers!! :)