TL:DR Will a 120-volt home wire be ok for a car?

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Have a ton of extra 2 prong extension cords when I was a cable installer. Are these cords sufficient gauge to add a 12-volt accessory plug to a car?

I don't want the wire to melt but if they can take 120 Volts from a house outlet, they should be overkill for using in a car correct?

kanewolf

Titan
Have a ton of extra 2 prong extension cords when I was a cable installer. Are these cords sufficient gauge to add a 12-volt accessory plug to a car?

I don't want the wire to melt but if they can take 120 Volts from a house outlet, they should be overkill for using in a car correct?
What amperage? What distance? What gauge wire? Those are the questions you have to answer. Once you have the wire gauge, then you can look up the amps that it will support at a specific distance. They you just have to determine if that is sufficient. Powering a USB charger, sure. Powering a 1000W subwoofer amp? No.

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply, I forgot about this and haven't received the usual email saying someone replied... I have decided to just pay a guy to do this mod... the issue is more complicated, the firewall seems to be a 3 or 4 part wall with voids and not much hand room for my big hands...