TN or IPS For Gaming???

G

I am looking at the Asus VS247H-P and the BenQ RL2455HM. These are said to be very good monitors for the money. But the one thing that I am worried about is the TN panel on the BenQ. The Asus is an IPS.

My major concern is the way the BenQ will look at different angles. I fell that if I am not directly centered in front of the monitor, the colors will start to fade or darken, just like my laptop monitor. That can be very, very annoying to a gamer like me. I play on consoles only.

So my question is whether I should stick to the Asus, or go with the BenQ. Are the bad angles on a TN panel going to be a big problem for me?

Any input would be great. Thanks to all who help.

G

I fidget around a lot in my seat. I lean to the left and then to the right and then i sit up straight. Then I do it all over again. You don't think that it would matter?

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
As far as recommendations as to what monitor to buy, it all depends on the type of games you play. TN panel monitors are known for their very fast response times (<2ms) and high refresh rates (120Hz and 144Hz), but is countered by the bad viewing angles and bland color pallet (due to the 6-bit panel). IPS monitors on the other hand are know for their slow response times (5ms and greater) and lower refresh rates (except for the newer Overlord and QNIX IPS monitors which are capable of up to 120Hz). PLS and IPS monitors use 8-bit (and sometimes 10-bit) LED backlit panels, which have great viewing angles and color reproduction. So, if you primarily play RTS or RPG games, then stick with a PLS or IPS monitor. However, if you play mostly FPS games, I would recommend you wait for Asus to release the very much anticipated ROG SWIFT gaming monitor. This monitor will be the very first 27-inch 144Hz 2560x1440 10-bit TN panel with Nvidia G-Sync technology and a 1ms response time. From all of the preliminary reviews, the 10-bit TN panel looks just as good as any PLS or IPS monitor and does not suffer from the viewing angle issues or color banding of current generation 6-bit TN panel monitors. Expected retail price is $799 and should be available for purchase sometime in July:

http://rog.asus.com/296652014/news/rog-announces-the-pg...

http://rog.asus.com/324842014/gaming-monitors/swift-pg2...

G

Thanks very much for the reply. But that is way over my budget. Honestly, I am aiming for below 200 dollars. I only play
Call of Duty on my Xbox. And every once in a while it play around with some racing games. What about if I go for maybe a 5ms IPS monitor. That way I get good color reproduction, while getting pretty good response time.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
I find it a bit odd that you are wanting to know the best monitor to use with an XBox One (or 360?). Tom's Hardware forums are focused on PC gaming, so that threw me off a bit when you mentioned a game console. I can honestly say, there won't be much difference between you using a TV vs a computer monitor. Response times are about the same with the exception if you went with a plasma screen vs LED screen. Plasma TVs have much better contrast ratio, response times, and refresh rates vs LED TVs. Unfortunately, Plasma TVs are being phased out, so in the future there won't be much of a choice once 4K is in full effect. It will come down to what size of TV you want and brand you like the best.

G

I did mention, however, that I only play on consoles. But that is beside the point. I want every single little edge I can get. Even if it does not seem noticeable. I am very very competitive. So the little stats are important to me.

I have thought about getting plasma. Right now though, anything is better than what I have. I am currently gaming on an old memorex MT2024. Does not do modern games any justice at all.

Horc

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
http://www.ncix.com/detail/aoc-23in-framless-tft-lcd-7b-88456-1286.htm

It's $140 in Canada right now, and I own one. Completely beautiful and high value for the price. Haven't read a bad review on it yet nor any issues with longevity. I understand it's not one of the big named premium brands, but it does a damn good job for what it's worth.

Give it a look with some extra google searches and good luck on your quest for a monitor!

Solution
G

Thank you very much.