TN or IPS for gaming?

DarkDaedricLord

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
I'm building a rig and I'm keep on going back and forth between a TN and a IPS panel. Is having the 1ms GTG compared to 5ms GTG worth the loss of colour.

Solution
If you're gaming, and unless you're going to pay for a very expensive IPS panel that doesn't have backbleed lighting issues, I'd recommend getting a good TN panel. Only professional graphics artists, or somebody with a trained eye is likely to notice the difference anyhow, plus the response times will probably be noticeable between 1ms and 5ms depending on your hardware.
If you're gaming, and unless you're going to pay for a very expensive IPS panel that doesn't have backbleed lighting issues, I'd recommend getting a good TN panel. Only professional graphics artists, or somebody with a trained eye is likely to notice the difference anyhow, plus the response times will probably be noticeable between 1ms and 5ms depending on your hardware.

Solution

andreaszero

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015

Just for the info, the BenQ RL2455HM is the official monitor of the MLG. It's a very good monitor for gaming with low response times. I will suggest you the monitor below, the reviews says it all, plus I have it and I assure you it's good, it has only 2ms response time and it has excellent colors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153&cm_re=asus_vs248h-_-24-236-153-_-Product

andreaszero

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015

From what I've seen from reviews, it seems like a good monitor, it has a lot of features for gaming and only 1 ms response time. If you have the money you can get that but I suggest checking them all out on youtube first. You can clearly see the colors there and the quality of the images.

There are very few Acer monitors I'd choose over a BenQ monitor. That Predator unit happens to be one of them if you have the hardware to run at a high enough frame rate to avoid tearing and other performance issues with it's 144hz refresh rate. The standard is that you want to be able to run at the same FPS as your refresh rate, or higher, which is pretty hard to do at Ultra on modern games. If you can settle for high or medium settings on some games it's ok, but unless you have some heavy duty hardware, a GTX 780 or higher, or R9 290 or higher, I wouldn't go that route.

It depends largely on game title and settings. For example, on Witcher 3, even the Titan or 980 TI can't maintain even 60FPS at 1080p 60hz with some of the gameworks features turned on. The 970 might be able to maintain the performance necessary for a good gaming experience on a 144hz monitor if you're willing to turn down some features. On other titles, it might require a drastic reduction in quality settings. My advice is to NOT go with a 144hz monitor unless you're buying a R9 295x2, GTX 980, 980 TI or Titan X, but that doesn't mean you can't still have a good gaming experience with a 144hz monitor and a lesser card if that's the way you choose to go. You'll just probably have to reduce some settings. If you don't mind doing that, then it might be a good fit.

nokturrduk84

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXcNlh85Ps

Watch it & decide yourself.
Once I compared my TN monitor to my friend's IPS monitor & difference was a huge in viewing angles. TN seemed sh*tty compared to IPS. So, I'd get IPS all the way.

P.S. This was the monitor we got for my friend. It's a great one: http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-EW2440L-Widescreen-LED-Monitor/dp/B00JWEZD66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430914636&sr=8-1&keywords=Benq+EW2440

I highly recommend it.

P.S.S. This shouldn't be here. It's a RAM section.

How often do you game standing at a the side of your monitor? I've never once in over 30 years of gaming found a need to be sitting anywhere but directly in front of the monitor. Unlike consoles you're not usually gaming with multiple players on the same screen. I don't think the viewing angle is pertinent for gaming. But that's just my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS