TN or IPS Panel

ricky.youtube

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Hello guys. So, my brain is blocked after 4 days of research about this topic.
I play a lot of FPS (CS:GO, COD, PUBG) and i also love to play Skyrim (with a lot of visual mods for better graphics).
I know IPS brings a better color/image (which is perfect for Skyrim) but is more 150$ than a TN Panel.

This is my problem. I am confused about choosing either of this monitors:
Asus PG279Q (IPS)
Asus PG278QR (TN)

One is IPS (better for Skyrim) the other is TN (better for FPS).
For what i found, TN panels suffer from color branding and IPS suffer from glow and blacklight bleeding, but this is told by some people, not everyone who owns both TN and IPS monitors.

Main questions: will i notice the 3ms difference from TN(1ms) to IPS(4ms)? isn't the TN panel enough for skyrim? Is it worth to pay more 150$ for an IPS?

Solution
I'm just a random guy on the internet giving you my opinion. Use your own judgment not mine, do some more research if you're not sure. And no problem.

I personally like (and need) correct colours which a tn panel has trouble with. You won't notice the difference between 1 or 4ms at all. Both monitors are identical except for the panel. Tn panels don't mean extra fps or anything it's just a different way of displaying something.

Personally I would happily spend the extra on the ips to avoid the bad viewing angles and worse colours.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The PG279Q has pretty widespread backlight bleed issues, I own one. Had to return three of them before I got one that had what I would call an acceptable amount of bleed. If I could do it again I would've gotten the TN if only to avoid that hassle.

If I sat you down in front of those two monitors I highly doubt you would be able to tell the difference, the main difference comes when you try to look at them from an angle, the IPS will retain it's color accuracy, the TN's colors will shift dramatically. This is called viewing angles, IPS panels have a much larger viewing angle. However when at the correct angle the different in color accuracy likely would not be noticeable.

Is that input lag or response times? Regardless I wouldn't trust the manufacturer claims of those numbers, there is no standardized way to test for that. Agin I highly doubt you would be able to tell the difference they are both very responsive panels.

I do not think the PG279Q is worth $150 more than the PG278Q, especially will all the issues the PG279Q has. I would look at the Acer Predator XB271HU if you want to go IPS.

ricky.youtube

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018

I'm confused because everyone has a different opinion. Most people say IPS image/color is much better but some have problems with glow and bleeding(not talking about the viewing angle). Others say TN is fine and the only difference is viewing angle but some have problems with color branding (i dont care about viewing angle).

I think i'm going with the cheapest one (TN) and if i don't like it, i'll just trade to an IPS.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
A very high end TN panel like the one in the PG278QR is excellent, I have seen it in person. I think people get the idea that all TN's are garbage and have poor colors because they have never seen a good TN panel. Or they just read that on a forum and rolled with it. The 100 dollar TN panels you can get on amazon and the like are pretty bad but they are in no way comparable to a monitor like the PG278QR.

If you're an animator get an IPS. If all you do is play games I think you would have to have super human vision to tell the difference between a PG278QR and the PG279Q in any respect when at the proper viewing angle.

ricky.youtube

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018

I'm going to trust you and go for either Dell S2716DG or Asus PG278QR.
Thank you.