TN vs IPS monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
That BenQ monitor belongs here:
"There are fast IPS panels which bridge TN and IPS, not as slow as average IPS, not as fast as TN, better image reproduction than TN but not as good as good IPS. This solution in between is e.g. Dell U2412M."
The monitor type I wrote before.
It is not a bad choice. :)

ZeusGamer

Admirable
Are you gonig to be playimg FPS games very competitively? If so, TN panels are good becuase of refresh rates that can go as high as 144 hz. But the color reproductions are bad and will often look washed out. Having a TN panel is not recommended if you're going to be photo editting or video editting because of the colors.

while IPS is better, TN is not that bad as long as you are not viewing it from below or some angle, but for the player (you will be sitting in front right?) it should be good (though ips is better)
i have never owned an ips monitor so i do not know how bad is the response time. i have a 120hz TN monitor, serves me good.
but yeah, if you need color accuracy, then TN is not your option

TN or IPS? It depends on what you need and want.
For more to gaming, I would recommend TN.
For more to photo/video editing, IPS suits you better.
There are fast IPS panels which bridge TN and IPS, not as slow as average IPS, not as fast as TN, better image reproduction than TN but not as good as good IPS. This solution in between is e.g. Dell U2412M.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

I feel as though that TN panels that have high refresh rate are only good with FPS games like Battlefield series, Counter-Strike series, CoD series, and etc just because it will give better advantage with having such a high refresh rate.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Look at it this way, if you want a high refresh rate monitor with somewhat washed out colors, you can choose the TN panel. TN panels are very good for FPS gaming like mentioned above. BF series, Crysis series, CoD series, just whatever FPS games you can think of, you're going to see an advantage with a TN panel with high refresh rate. But don't expect to play Skyrim on it and expect it to look pretty. Because it won't.

IPS panels are very good for professional use, AND if you want your games to look pretty. Very good color reproduction and contrast ratio. Really it depends on what you do to your system and which budget allows you to buy which monitor.

for the monitors that you want, first, read/watch some reviews. after that go to a store and see them for yourself. for me, this is something personal, it's like buying a car, you have to see it, try it out. it's not like buying an hdd where looks barely matters.
you will look at it for hours and hours. you should know which one when you see it (of course don't forget the review)

First of all, I apologies for the late reply. Secondly, I am impressed by how many people have shared their knowledge with this. Thirdly, most computer stores I go to in Australia don't actually allow the customer to see how the monitor will be like. Same goes with other computer accessories like keyboards. :( That is why your responses are crucial.

I will try to answer everybody's questions in one paragraph too:

I will be playing games like Battlefield, and other FPS games on the market. And yes I know that competive gaming will require faster response time and refresh rate to get the kill. However I am fine with 60Hz for now as money is a deterrent, unless I can find a cheap 120Hz or 144Hz monitor no more than AUD$200 (it will be a miracle).

ZeusGamer

Admirable

This is a really good monitor: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1094&products_id=24384

I used to have that until I upgraded to a 1440P monitor.

which models are you looking at? sorry if you posted it already and i missed them

i am loving my monitor (it is the most expensive monitor that i bought, ever) even though it is TN

to those who own an IPS, is the ghosting that bad? also, is it correct that there are cheaper ips? e-ips i think is what it's called, i think they are cheaper than IPS, and likely not as good (relatively). can someone confirm?

Hey I did a bit of research on this before. And these panels are subgroups of IPS monitors, their names have letters in front to just distinguish the name.

Read this:
AH-IPS is a sub type of IPS family. In reality there is no "IPS" panel by itself, it's always one of the following variation:
-> AH-IPS, H-IPS, P-IPS, S-IPS, eIPS (economic IPS), E-IPS (Enhanced IPS), AS-IPS, IPS-Pro or PLS (Samsung version of IPS).

They are all pretty much the same at the end of teh day. Any advantages point they mark, are always on the highest end (read: Professional grade monitor) models. At the consumer level, even high-end ones, there isn't much difference. It might be 5-10% better at something, but also 5-10% worst at something else.
That is why, people regroup them as just IPS, as the differences isn't noticeable, unless you seek something very specific. That is why also, Samsung tried to name their IPS panels to PLS, as an attempt to difference itself, as a new panel technology, but in reality, it's just IPS, and has nothing really special, as, like I mentioned, what ever percentage its good at doing, it's about the same percentage worst at doing something else. The differences is just to avoid patent disputes, mostly.

The big difference is that eIPS are always 6-bit panels, while the rest CAN BE 6-bit panels as well, but can also be 8-bit, and some types can be true 10-bit panels and even higher. So, doesn't mean that a panel is AH-IPS panel, that is necessary is an 8-bit panel, it can be a 6-bit panel.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/78007-ips-vs-ah-ips/

Ce3in

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

You might aswell try to grab a cheap 1080p IPS panel if you're not going 144hz with TN.

But as mentioned and most of us will no, if you are a competive gamer will require at least a 120Hz and a fast response rate. As for me, I am not the best player out there but will want at least a decent monitor. So the 1ms is probably the way to go IMO.

What are your thoughts on a TN with 60Hz and 1ms response rate?

ZeusGamer

Admirable

I feel that TN panels are supposed to be for fast refresh rates. That's the only advantage they have over IPS panels. Choosing a TN panel that can only go up to 60 hz? You'd lose the advantage of having a TN panel. Is an IPS panel more expensive where you live?

I am based in Australia where prices don't stop increasing... And if I do get a 144Hz monitor, it will be absolutely out of my budget. And 60Hz will do fine, I am not too competive and not a professional either. I wouldn't want IPS because of its slower response rate. I rather get a 1ms response rate monitor if I can't afford a 120Hz/144Hz monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS