Info To all of my friends with a black screening RX 580, a possible solution.

Nov 18, 2020
Hello, Just like most of you reading this thread I have a RX 580 that black screens when playing games for a second and then pops back up like nothing ever happened. To make this concise I have tried the common fix of boosting the amount of power allowance in wattman settings among various settings which can be found online readily. These did not work however and thus I looked at buying a new gpu. I picked up a 2080ti and after using it for a bit needed to take it out to install a new cooler, within this time I plugged my RX 580 back into my computer and started playing games on it and I haven't had a black screen since. While I'm not sure exactly what fixed it, I would recommend reinstalling your graphics card drivers if what else is online doesn't work. Just wanted to post this so other people will have something to help them when nothing else works. Ill attempt to answer any questions in the comments below. Thanks.

Hi Liberal.

Reinstalling your GPU drivers should be the first thing you do when you have graphics issues. Not the last thing.

Could have been the drivers.
Could have been the fact that you reseated the GPU.
Could have been the monitor cable.

Could have been a few things.

Nov 18, 2020
Hi Liberal.

Reinstalling your GPU drivers should be the first thing you do when you have graphics issues. Not the last thing.

Could have been the drivers.
Could have been the fact that you reseated the GPU.
Could have been the monitor cable.

Could have been a few things.
Thank you for replying, yes in retrospect that seems obvious but reinstalling drivers seemed like a big obstacle in comparison to just adjusting wattman settings within the amd software as a lot of other users point out on various threads across the internet. You are correct however, and will use this as experience in the future, just wanted to spread some personal learnings that were not found readily on the internet in my opinion. Also, the GPU had been taken out and put back in on multiple different occasions prior to the installation of the 2080ti, and looking back on it I did need to purchase a display port cable for my first monitor so that might have been it as well as I was using hdmi 2.0 so it could have been that as well. Thank you for bringing this up as hopefully this can help someone out there who doesn't have a solution to this problem.

Last edited: