To be or not to be, sweet prince?

Zombie_Trump

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Thing is, I just bought a new Gaming rig for Black friday with a i5-6500, Sapphire N+ Rx 480(which is said to have an edge on dx12) ...
So I am curious, as to installing win10 or win7, I really have doubts about 10 and dont really like it. So the only reason I'd get it was if it gave me a solid kind of edge in gaming for the dx12. So my question is, for this Radeon Rx 480 ... is it worth all the hassle for dx12, will the dx12 games, for example run fine visually in a dx11 win7? (a 5fps decrease would not bother me).

sooo yeah, i heard a lot of talk and rumors, but how much of a help is dx12 nowadays?? I mean... DOOM, for example on a win7, with dx11, but Vulkan, would probably run awesomely on rx480, right?

Solution
Right now, DX 12 is still in its infancy, the developers are a long way off getting to grips with it.The few DX12 compatible titles I have installed show little improvement over DX11 either in performance or visually but it IS forward looking.

As 12thmonkey points out, you can just ignore the tiles and treat Win 10 as Win 7 with better security and a more robust built in browser (Edge) but it's your choice on the OS, Win 7 is still a very good piece of software.
Whichever you select, make sure you install the 64 bit version.

The new DOOM runs spectacularly on just about everything, how ID pulled it off I don't know but your system should run it maxed out under OpenGL and stay well over 60FPS, even at 1440 rez! If you're a FPS junkie...

Zombie_Trump

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
I just really dislike the interface, and the spying issues, ik they're personal hangups. to clarify:
1- in dx11 titles, the dx12 will give literally no advantage
2- dx12 titles can be run on a win7, but with crappier shadows and 5fps less or something like that? :) cuz...i could live with that until 2018 or smthin *haha*

a pure dx12 title will not run on 11, but we won't see pure dx12 titles this decade.

The interface is nearly the same as 7, just ignore the tiles (unlike 8 where you couldn't).

The spying issues, there are ways to turn them off, but i have to say 'so what' to it, for some reason people trust installing software from random companies, but not MS, who's got the most reputation to lose? the random company, nope they'll just fold and start again.

pbm86

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Installing Windows 7 on a Skylake system is problematic. The installer is missing the required USB drivers. So you can't install from a flash drive or use a USB mouse or keyboard. There are some solution to the problem that usually involve integrating XHCI USB drivers in the Windows 7 ISO.

Installing win7 is only problematic on low end boards.
I had no troubles installing it and using both my USB mouse and keyboard. But I'm using a 200 bucks mainboard I heard there are some issues with low end boards.

As win7 doesn't Support dx12 games will run in dx11
It's less a matter of fps, dx12 simply looks a lot better than dx11

Right now, DX 12 is still in its infancy, the developers are a long way off getting to grips with it.The few DX12 compatible titles I have installed show little improvement over DX11 either in performance or visually but it IS forward looking.

As 12thmonkey points out, you can just ignore the tiles and treat Win 10 as Win 7 with better security and a more robust built in browser (Edge) but it's your choice on the OS, Win 7 is still a very good piece of software.
Whichever you select, make sure you install the 64 bit version.

The new DOOM runs spectacularly on just about everything, how ID pulled it off I don't know but your system should run it maxed out under OpenGL and stay well over 60FPS, even at 1440 rez! If you're a FPS junkie and have a display that can keep up, use the Vulkan option (remember to leave AA set at 8X to enable the Async Compute acceleration) and watch it really fly! :)

Solution
You can't easily turn off automatic updates on Windows 10 - - - that might influence your decision.

I've always turned it off on every OS I've had (using Win7 at present) because I got fed up with too many screw-ups from a bad update, plus it left very little bandwidth for doing anything else on line while the updates were downloading (still only got low bandwidth in my village, they won't bring fibre all the way to the street).

I prefer to update only what I really need and at my convenience, not Microsoft's convenience.