[SOLVED] To buy a Ryzen 9 3900x or wait for the Ryzen 7 5800x

Mileta

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hey guys,

Last year I bought a Ryzen 5 3600 with a x570 board (Asrock Pro4 ) and BeQuiet Black Rock Pro4 with the intention of upgrading some time in the future. Now that the prices and some specs of the Zen3 architecture are leaked my question is:
Should I buy a Ryzen 9 3900x right now, because i can get it for around 400€. The price for the R7 5800x is leaked to be 449USD, that will be around 480+€ when it gets here where I live (based on the price back when R5 3600 launched).

I mainly use my PC for 1440p gaming (paired with a strix 1080ti). From time to time I do some video/photo editing but nothing too crazy. I do stream but with that my current cpu isn't breaking a sweat.

I, personally, do not think the 5800x will outperform the 3900x (and i do get 4c8t more), but even if it does so I doubt it will be worth 80+€ more.

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It's too early to tell for sure, and I honestly am not aware if this happened overseas (from US), but history has shown that once the new CPU is released and commonly available that AMD and retailers DRASTICALLY reduce the price of the previous generation. I paid almost the same for my first Ryzen 3 1200 (on release) as I have for subsequent 1700 and 2700X. I am hoping that will happen again so I can score something 3xxx which will hopefully play nice with my motherboard.

Given the pricing being announced now, I see no reason to upgrade my entire base system, yet. I just don't have the use case ATM.

Do you need the upgrade to either of those CPUs?

Do you feel games are not working as you like to?

If you really need or really want to upgrade, I would probably wait for the R7 5800X benchmark results, or even better, wait a little longer and see if AMD launch a Ryzen 7 5700X and get that one instead.

Mileta

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Depends on what you want to gain from the upgrade. If it is fps in games then you would likely get more by selling your 1080ti and upgrading the video card.
The 1080ti is still bottlenecked by the Ryzen 5 3600 (a bit) so I doubt. If I was playing on 4k then sure but not for 1440p. I never capped out the GPU so far.

Do you need the upgrade to either of those CPUs?

Do you feel games are not working as you like to?
The thing is I am usually playing some badly optimized games that tend to be CPU heavy and would benefit from good single core performace (https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-r20-scores-updated-results) for now the R9 3900x is 3rd on the CB20 score list sorted by single core and for 400€ it's pretty impressive I'd say.

dimtodim

Reputable
Hey guys,

Last year I bought a Ryzen 5 3600 with a x570 board (Asrock Pro4 ) and BeQuiet Black Rock Pro4 with the intention of upgrading some time in the future. Now that the prices and some specs of the Zen3 architecture are leaked my question is:
Should I buy a Ryzen 9 3900x right now, because i can get it for around 400€. The price for the R7 5800x is leaked to be 449USD, that will be around 480+€ when it gets here where I live (based on the price back when R5 3600 launched).

I mainly use my PC for 1440p gaming (paired with a strix 1080ti). From time to time I do some video/photo editing but nothing too crazy. I do stream but with that my current cpu isn't breaking a sweat.

I, personally, do not think the 5800x will outperform the 3900x (and i do get 4c8t more), but even if it does so I doubt it will be worth 80+€ more.

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions!
[/QUOT
2 mounts ago i buy 3900x i dont wanna wait for enithing and what i can say its super fast and strong cpu :)

InvalidError

Titan
It's too early to tell for sure, and I honestly am not aware if this happened overseas (from US), but history has shown that once the new CPU is released and commonly available that AMD and retailers DRASTICALLY reduce the price of the previous generation.
Don't expect that to happen with Zen 3 though:
1- Zen 3 MSRPs are higher, so new parts won't be putting any real pressure on Zen 2 prices any time soon and
2- since Zen 3 uses the same 7nm process as Zen 2, expect AMD to shift wafer starts to Zen 2 pretty quickly, which could lead to Zen 2 prices actually bouncing back to near launch MSRP due to limited supply

The main reason Zen 1/1+ prices fell through the floor after Zen 2 launched is because AMD still had to burn its excess 16/12nm wafer orders. This won't be happening with Zen 3.

Reactions: punkncat
The 1080ti is still bottlenecked by the Ryzen 5 3600 (a bit) so I doubt. If I was playing on 4k then sure but not for 1440p. I never capped out the GPU so far.

The thing is I am usually playing some badly optimized games that tend to be CPU heavy and would benefit from good single core performace (https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-r20-scores-updated-results) for now the R9 3900x is 3rd on the CB20 score list sorted by single core and for 400€ it's pretty impressive I'd say.
If it is single-thread performance you are after the 5600x will beat the 3900x hands down

Latest posts