Question To buy HPE RAM or not?

starkana

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I purchased a HPE ProLiant DL325 G10 server which came with 2x 16GB of DDR4 RAM. I'd like to add more RAM to the server but am wondering if I should buy HPE branded RAM or not. Based on all my research non-HPE RAM will work just fine but may not display in iLOs health status and it would throw an alert that non genuine HPE SmartMemory is installed.

HPE claims that their ram enhances performance and service. I'm curious if anyone knows if there truly are any benefits or not.

HPE DDR4 SmartMemory

See FIGURE 1-19: An overview of choices in technology in HPE Gen9/Gen10 servers.
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/getdocument.aspx?docname=4AA6-6217ENW

The section on NVDIMM-N (HPE Gen10) explains the use of HPE DDR4 and how the addition of Flash memory allows the DRAM data content to be backed up into
the flash memory.

In HPE Gen10, HPE introduced an industry standard NVDIMM-N that has seen major architecture changes. NVDIMM. A non-volatile dual in-line memory module (NVDIMM) is a type of random-access memory for computers. Non-volatile memory is memory that retains its contents even when electrical power is removed, for example from an unexpected power loss, system crash, or normal shutdown. NVDIMM-N modules combine DDR4 DRAM with NAND flash memory.

FIGURE 1-19 shows other choices for memory.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With the kind of money already invested, spending a little more to keep everybody from the existing ram to the software to the warranty people happy would be a small price to pay. For you to use outsourced ram will be all the excuse HPE needs to void any implied warranty unless you can prove beyond even their doubts that the damage was absolutely not caused by the off-brand ram.