To change memory frequency in BIOS

Lalit_2

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
I bought a corsair vengeance 1600 MHz ddr3 ram. My mother board model is dh55tc. under bios it shows the system memory speed to be 1333mhz. will this ram work and if there is a to make it work by adjusting the settings in bios. My OS IS WINDOWS 8.1.

Go into the BIOS, and find the XMP setting, and enable it. That should allow you to choose from a choice of a few different speeds that the memory supports. Pick a 1600 speed one, and then Save and Exit. System will reboot, and your memory should then be working fine at 1600 speed.

Lalit_2

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

I am unable to find xmp setting in bios setup. can u guide me step by step. My os is win 8.1, mother board intel dh55tc.

XMP is an Intel created feature. Memory sticks that support XMP (and almost do anymore since most systems in use are Intel based). You BIOS should have a section for memory. That page should have the option to enable or disable XMP. It is the same for any motherboard really.

Intel might be calling it SPD. I cannot find a manual anywhere for that motherboard, but I did find this:

To be fully compliant with all Intel® SDRAM memory specifications, the board should have DIMMs supporting the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data structure. If your memory modules do not support SPD, you see a notification to this effect on the screen at power up. The BIOS tries to configure the memory controller for normal operation.

SPD is the base requirement for XMP.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
SPD has been supported in DRAM going back to DDR and DDR2, DDR3 is where XMP came into play and is for DRAM that runs 1600 and up. Your mobo is an 1156 that is made by Intel which supports 1066/1333 DRAM so unless they updated the BIOS to encompass XMP it may well have no XMP available. Further, these mobos were designed to run with the then current DRAM specs which used low density memory ICs (chips). Current DDR3 is made with high density memory ICs so the Vengeance may well not even be compatible unless it is an older model. If they don't run at all (highly possible) would look for the original GSkill Ripjaws (not the newer X or Z lines, the plain old Ripjaws) or their NT series of value DRAM, both of which are made with the low density memory ICs