To Core or not to Core; that is the question

Des Astor

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
After giving up a small but fairly busy 'puter consulting firm to pursue another career, I got completely out of the hardware environment for about 5 years and am actually not surprised about the dumbfounding changes that have taken place in these few years. To make things "short," I am in need for a potent rig but quickly realized the stupendous degree of ignorance that I know have to overcome to actually implement my needs. Although I have done some research to quote myself a system I am not sure if I actually need the level of hardware that I had come up with (which is very similar to some of the systems quoted in the "Best Builds 2017" poll on this board, e.g., the "Blackout"). I apologize for my rambling but I had just a few days ago decided that I needed a new system and have not yet found the time to read up on the technical aspects of the following issues and hope that readers can provide helpful pointers to help come up with a system that:

a) will manage most, not necessarily all games that are thrown at it (running at highest settings, or even capable to run 4K),

b) should be capable of managing virtual reality programs, hardware, and such well and without significant hiccups or stalls

c) can manage photo editing of 4K raw files using Photoshop and Light room with a shitload of filters and other shenanigans without chocking while I aggressively edit.

While I was always quick to push my machines to their physical limits back in the 80's and 90's via OC, manipulating pins and buses on the chips, early cooling attempts or other mods, those days are behind me. These day hardware is just so much more powerful that modding is not a necessary implementation for me anymore (unless I were interested in tinkering, which I just don't). Despite being a freak for speed, I can now satisfy that need by simply purchasing a powerful chip from the shelf.

To this end, I am looking for a machine that gives me the power to do what I described above, w/enough flexibility to upgrade until the system is totally outdated which, if past experiences predict future ones, should be in 5 years or so.

While I'd be willing to spend up to 2K USD on parts (I'd prefer to safe the labor as I enjoy completing the builds myself) I'd actually would like to spend as little money as possible by making smart hardware choices!

A main consideration is that of CPU cores (i.e., is it really worth the money to get as many cores as possible or can I get away with a 2 core I5 processor, for example). In my past life, I have primarily used AMD chips bc I was on a budget & did not see much difference between Intel and AMD, and in fact in the very early 2000's AMD actually had a leg up on Intel. At this time, I am practically illiterate about the development of motherboards and how AMD vs. Intel based boards compare. In the end, I simply want a motherboard that accommodates a fast enough processor while providing the most flexibility and upgradibility. I don't have a particular affinity to either chip manufacturer and thus would just want a chip/board pairing that provides the better "bang for the buck" although I would prefer a motherboard that can accommodate at least one or two generation of future CPUs.

Since my target applications are primarily of visual nature, my bottle neck will lie in that domain. Thus, I would want to spend more money on a video card capable of lots of throughput to ensure smooth and stunning visual imagery. But since video development seems to have advanced dramatically just don't know what current card, chips or driver have become a particularly "to go to" item.

Ah, and since solid state storage is now also available for relatively cheap, I am wondering whether it would be advisable to use a SSD to run OS AND games AND applications, or would it be better to keep the SSD just for the OS and active applications. I am planning to use an external drive for file storage so the SSD or HDD would be for actual processing. Again, I am just trying to integrate new systems into my built plan and like to know if SSD is capable of managing this task more efficiently than a heat producing, mechanical device, which theoretically should be slower doing the same thing.

Any sound, educated and applied advice from experienced folks in the know will be much appreciated. Good links about these topics are certainly appreciated and I won't mind if they are technical. I would like to avoid anybody wasting their time and would like to let everybody know I do not need to learn about basic computing or how to Lego a machine together.

Thanks you in advance for valuable advice.

Des

Solution
Im not a fan of early adopting such as Zen with its issues currently.

But if you are looking to edit you do need cores, AMD Ryzen is looking good for productivity standpoint as the 1800x beats the 6950x is most cases. Gaming its slightly slower, that could change after a few bios updates windows updates and game updates, Windows currently is optimized mostly for AMD's old stuff and Intel's CPU's.

I personally have a i7 5820k and I don't have any issues editing video in 4k.

Note: If you go for Intel's 6core offerings and you plan to overclock, The 5820k and 5930k often clocks higher with less voltage and is often way cheaper than the 6800k and the 6850k, they are identical performance wise if at the same clocks. The 5930k or the...

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Gaming in 4k means GTX 1080ti

Doing heavy editing and rendering means a high-clocked high-threaded CPU. AMD has been terrible in your break away from computers, but actually just reentered the game with the Ryzen R7 1800x, which is comparable to i7 6800k, 6850k and 6900k.

Given your budget, this r7 1800x may be the best CPU for you. If you wanted absolute performance and didn't have a budget, you'd be looking at the i7 6950x or a dual xeon setup.

Samsung 850 evo 500GB is enough for "OS AND games AND applications". A separate drive would be necessary for large videos and other files.

BTW, this is my build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($404.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($309.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($124.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($428.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ B&H)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor ($359.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 300 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Headphones: V-MODA CROSSFADE M-100 SHADOW Headphones ($249.98 @ Best Buy)
UPS: APC BR1000G UPS ($109.41 @ NCIX US)
Other: Oring Damp​eners for ​Keyboard ($12.99)
Other: SteelSeries - QcK Mouse Pad - Black ($8.99)
Other: VModa XL M​emory Cush​ion ($19.98)
Other: VModa Boom​Pro Microp​hone ($29.98)
Total: $2996.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-06 23:31 EST-0500

I built it for silence. It really is silent most of the time. Also, on full load with both the GPU and CPU OC'd, it hasn't ever used more than 400W.

It can play BF1 max settings 1440p 60fps, Witcher 3 almost max, etc.

My 6800k is OC'd to 4.2 GHz and it takes me about 2 min per 1 min of basic mp4 1440p 60fps footage from OBS. 4k is roughly twice as taxing, so a great CPU is really going to help you here.

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Maybe something a little like this + a good CPU Cooler (Like the kraken x62) once they support Ryzen.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($498.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($254.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($99.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Other: Nvidia GTX 1080ti ($700.00)
Total: $2069.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-06 23:29 EST-0500

Im not a fan of early adopting such as Zen with its issues currently.

But if you are looking to edit you do need cores, AMD Ryzen is looking good for productivity standpoint as the 1800x beats the 6950x is most cases. Gaming its slightly slower, that could change after a few bios updates windows updates and game updates, Windows currently is optimized mostly for AMD's old stuff and Intel's CPU's.

I personally have a i7 5820k and I don't have any issues editing video in 4k.

Note: If you go for Intel's 6core offerings and you plan to overclock, The 5820k and 5930k often clocks higher with less voltage and is often way cheaper than the 6800k and the 6850k, they are identical performance wise if at the same clocks. The 5930k or the 6850k has 48 PCI-E lanes if you plan to use a lot of PCI-E devices.

Solution