To get at least M.2, DDR3, 2ghz CPU, USB3, 15"...how much do I pay for something used?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Say its a few years old. I'm just wondering what ballpark I should be expecting from a name brand.
15", USB3, DDR3 or 4, at least 2ghz CPU, hopefully with a removable battery (I think most have that).
I don't care about the drives as I can cheaply upgrade that. I'd really like to get a M.2 for the OS and a SSD or SATA for storage and would be securely erasing anything previously used.
And is there any major problem with buying off Ebay if I check the serial number first to make sure its not stolen? Is that a big concern? I'll be travelling with it and will probably pass through the US.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You've basically described a generic late model 15" laptop. DDR3 should not really be something to consider, that is getting quite old at this point.

You pay what you are willing. The goal would be to get the best hardware for the money you are spending. I would not go with ebay, get something refurbished from an e-tailer like Newegg or Amazon so you have some recourse if it is faulty.

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
You've basically described a generic late model 15" laptop. DDR3 should not really be something to consider, that is getting quite old at this point.

You pay what you are willing. The goal would be to get the best hardware for the money you are spending. I would not go with ebay, get something refurbished from an e-tailer like Newegg or Amazon so you have some recourse if it is faulty.

I'm curious.
Do you tend to buy new or used?
Have you bought much used stuff off Ebay?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I mostly buy new components. I haven't personally bought a laptop since DDR3 days, oddly enough. Don't have much use for them since I am pretty much always at a computer.

I recommend used components and laptops regularly. Most people don't bother to follow up, so can't really say how well that goes.

If I were buying a complete laptop, I generally stick with re-sellers. Ebay is a mixed bag when it comes to laptops, and I would mostly refer people there for laptop parts, chassis, motherboards, fans, touchpads.

Probably some good deals if you can find trustworthy sellers and bid low, but having the reassurance that a dead laptop can be returned is worth the small price increase to me.

All depends on what you are spending. Under $200, sure. $1000, no probably not ebay for me.

Go to ebay and look for reconditioned laptops.
Lenovo and some reconditioners will refurb and test out laptops that come off industrial lease.
The cosmetics will be graded A,B,C.
You will get a clean windows install, and some guarantee that the laptop works.
Filter on completed auctions and you will see what they actually sold for.
Check seller feedback carefully. See that they regularly sell similar items.
Ebay will protect buyers.
I have bought a couple on ebay and was satisfied.

Whatever you do, buy laptop without ANY discrete GPU, amd or nvidia does not matter. Only the intel integrated graphics from cpu are safe.
People sell laptops with discrete gpu "reflowed or reballed" and those can fail within months or less after purchase. Or even if its not reflowed you might get that problem with old laptops and discrete gpu quite easily.