Question to have heatsink or not to have heatsink? that is the question.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys

i made a thread awhile back on which NVME to get and got 2 recommendation. either the corsair mp600 (got heatsink) or samsung 980 pro (without heatsink.

problem is my motherboard ( msi z590 gaming edge wifi) has the frozer heatsink and looks really good and if i got a heatsink NVME then i wouldnt be able use the frozer heatsink from my motherboard as that is how i am understanding it.

please see pic with the yellow circle around it ( i am sure that is the same as the frozer heatsink)

was wondering what you guys would do? either leave the frozer heatsink out or would the samsung non-heatsink NVME do the job?

i really wouldnt mind trying out the gen 4 and see what the speed is like tranferring files and whatnot.

many thanks guys

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
The Frozr heatsink should do just fine with the Samsung drive.

Personally, I'd get the Samsung and use the "Frozr" motherboard heatsink, because I think it looks really snazzy. :) And looks aside, I would prefer the Samsung 980 anyway (just be sure the firmware is up to date.)

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
The Frozr heatsink should do just fine with the Samsung drive.

Personally, I'd get the Samsung and use the "Frozr" motherboard heatsink, because I think it looks really snazzy. :) And looks aside, I would prefer the Samsung 980 anyway (just be sure the firmware is up to date.)
I was wanting to use the mobo heatsink as I do like the look of it too but was bit worried if it wasn't enough cooling as I've heard/read these Nvme ssd does get very hot compare to normal ssd.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Also the newest Samsung is the 990 plus, would it be wise to get that instead?
I think they are really close in price now? Like a $10 difference for 1TB, and about a $20 difference at 2TB...
I haven't tried the 990, so I can't say if there is any noticeable difference or not. But on paper, the 990 is the best at random reads and latency. Theoretically, it should be better than the 980 with games that use DirectStorage in the future, but we have to wait and see about that.

I'd say it depends on your budget. If an extra $10-$20 isn't a big deal to you, I would just go ahead and get the 990, since it's a bit newer and a bit better. But if you are that strapped for cash, you probably won't miss much by getting a 980.

(Personally, I am currently using a 1TB 980, and am planning to upgrade to a 2TB 990 when I can swing it.)

Reactions: froggy8