[SOLVED] to i9 9900k or not to i9 9900k? this is my question

May 3, 2019
Hello all,

I'm looking for some good opinions on which cpu upgrade I should go with. I've been going back n fourth between 8700k, 9700k and 9900k and I've read reviews leaning towards either end.

I've always been a gamer but now I plan on streaming as well so I'd love to hear what some of you have to say regarding those options above. I'm currently running an RTX 2080 @ 1080p but also plan to start gaming in 1440p in the future.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Solution
For now, there is no massive difference. The difference will emerge a few years down the line when things become more demanding than what they are now. So it all actually boils down to longevity rather than performance.
So lets say, if the 8700k gives you 5yrs, the 9700k will give you 5.5yrs or maybe 6yrsm but the 9900k will definitely give you an additional 3yrs atleast.
For now, there is no massive difference. The difference will emerge a few years down the line when things become more demanding than what they are now. So it all actually boils down to longevity rather than performance.
So lets say, if the 8700k gives you 5yrs, the 9700k will give you 5.5yrs or maybe 6yrsm but the 9900k will definitely give you an additional 3yrs atleast.

Reactions: Dapper-Dave
Solution

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Think about it for a month until we find out what ryzen 3000 brings to the table. Zen 2 could turn the entire desktop CPU market upside down and is highly likely to be officially announced at computex.

Hello all,

I'm looking for some good opinions on which cpu upgrade I should go with. I've been going back n fourth between 8700k, 9700k and 9900k and I've read reviews leaning towards either end.

I've always been a gamer but now I plan on streaming as well so I'd love to hear what some of you have to say regarding those options above. I'm currently running an RTX 2080 @ 1080p but also plan to start gaming in 1440p in the future.

Neither. Why pay the intel tax when ryzen 3 is around the corner and just as fast? 12 cores 24 threads for $450 at 5GHz. If anything wait to see what amd throws up.

Even if you dont like amd waiting will save you some cash as intel is forced to lower prices to compete.

To keep core clocks up on any high core chip will require some serious cooling. Expect to spend $100 on a good cooler (water or air)

That said more cores isnt necessarily better. More cores means less peak clock. Peak clock is what matters in most games. If you want to stream at the same time then 6 to 8 cores will more than do it for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dapper-Dave
Hello all,

The 9900K would be the best bet overall.

May 3, 2019
Think about it for a month until we find out what ryzen 3000 brings to the table. Zen 2 could turn the entire desktop CPU market upside down and is highly likely to be officially announced at computex.

I appreciate that tip, if I were interested in AMD at this time I would definitely look into that. Going to stick with intel this go around.

Thanks

May 3, 2019
Neither. Why pay the intel tax when ryzen 3 is around the corner and just as fast? 12 cores 24 threads for $450 at 5GHz. If anything wait to see what amd throws up.

Even if you dont like amd waiting will save you some cash as intel is forced to lower prices to compete.

To keep core clocks up on any high core chip will require some serious cooling. Expect to spend $100 on a good cooler (water or air)

That said more cores isnt necessarily better. More cores means less peak clock. Peak clock is what matters in most games. If you want to stream at the same time then 6 to 8 cores will more than do it for you.

Waiting has never been a strong point for me ;). Thanks for the advice!

TRENDING THREADS