To MSI Z87 XPOWER upgrade

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Currently I have a Asus Z87-A motherboard. While searching the local shops I found a used MSI Z87 XPOWER for 55$. It comes with the original packaging and has 1-week return and working condition guarantee. You can check my pic for my build (gonna get a 1060 6GB soon). I use it for casual stuff and OC for fun.

Is the "upgrade" worth it?

Solution
Typically you're correct; power delivery design, audio, NIC etc are all generally top tier on the top tier motherboards.
BUT:
1. Outside of outright audiophiles, the audio solution on mid-range boards is usually more than sufficient
2. Networking benefits would mostly be Wifi on that board and, given it's relatively age (802.11n), you could achieve better performance with a modern USB3.0 802.11ac adapter.
3. OCing headroom is probably minimum. +10% or so (hypothetically) is unlikely to be "worth it".

I assume that motherboard is used? $55 is really low for "new old stock" status boards, especially a high-end board. If used, that OCing potential may/may not be a relevant consideration, as you've no idea how hard it was ridden...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Slightly better overclocking potential on the XPower IIRC, but ultimately no, it's barely an "upgrade" at all.

Even if it were free, it's likely more of a headache than it's worth between reinstalling Windows etc (assuming it'll activate, otherwise you're out the cost of a new license too!)

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018

I always hear people saying "High-End Gaming" MBs have better audio, networking, OC potential, etc but I never got my hands on one to test it personally. That's why I'm asking here.

Also, I have a retail version of Windows 10 so no problems regarding the license. (reinstalled once before)

BTW, by casual, I meant I do gaming, movie, music, web surfing, learning stuff or a new language, etc.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Typically you're correct; power delivery design, audio, NIC etc are all generally top tier on the top tier motherboards.
BUT:
1. Outside of outright audiophiles, the audio solution on mid-range boards is usually more than sufficient
2. Networking benefits would mostly be Wifi on that board and, given it's relatively age (802.11n), you could achieve better performance with a modern USB3.0 802.11ac adapter.
3. OCing headroom is probably minimum. +10% or so (hypothetically) is unlikely to be "worth it".

I assume that motherboard is used? $55 is really low for "new old stock" status boards, especially a high-end board. If used, that OCing potential may/may not be a relevant consideration, as you've no idea how hard it was ridden in it's lifespan thus far.

The price difference (+$50 or so, on average) between a solid mid-range board and a high-end board is justifiable.... when new.
Investing $55 on a pretty dated platform (although still completely relevant) doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

For your use-case(s);
Gaming - a slightly higher OC might net you a couple of FPS more.
Movie/Music/Surfing/Learning - no noticeable difference
New language - If it an audio sense, there might be minor gains in audio quality. Nothing that'll make the difference between learning/not learning.

Add in the potential cost of a new Windows license if it can't be transferred (50/50 on Windows 10 and a motherboard switch in my experience thus far) then that might cost you +$150 or so... for a 5 year old motherboard that's probably used.... and will make between a negligible difference & absolutely no difference whatsoever in your use case(s), I just don't see it being worthwhile.

Solution

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Thanks for the advice. I'm in Asia right now and the place I live encountered an upgrade craze recently so all components are 2-4 times more expensive temporarily except the MBs which have fallen dirt cheap (because you need all the components to use it and most things are out of stock). Also, the MB I was talking about is in great condition since it was bought by a gamer who only knew how to play games and didn't use it to its max potential ("gaming grade" components carry a lot of weight in Asia).

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
If you want to do it, by all means go for it. Just be prepared to be pretty underwhelmed if/when there's really no change from what you have already.
Nah, I already decided not to use it.
I assume that motherboard is used? $55 is really low for "new old stock" status boards, especially a high-end board.
Just explaining why it was cheap. I will gift to a friend back home. He's a sucker for these kinds of things. I'm buying a Z370 for Christmas anyway.