Question To power up or not to power up

Jun 17, 2022
I am losing my mind
7 yr old PC wouldn't power on and I was unable to establish the cause so I ended up on a new PC build.
Story does not end there.
Two motherboards, five PSU's, two graphics cards and everything else x1 later, I now think my house is haunted.

My newbuild has to be left on permantly because I do not know if the PC will power on the next time I turn it off.

When the power switch of the PSU is first turned on. Not switched on by the PC but just the switch on the back of the PSU is on.
I find that my keyboard, mouse and streamdeck is lit up?
I also noticed that my ICUE ELITE CPU Cooler LCD Displays an exclamation mark.

When I switch on the PC using the case power button nothing else happens except for the leds on my Ram cards light up. that is it. No fans, no hardrive nothing.
It's almost as if there is insufficiant power for the PC to power on or something.

I was fed up with this last night so gave up and went to bed.
This morning it fired up first time as if to say that I dreampt it all.

Has anyone seen this before as I have spent a fortune on a new build and too scared to power it down now incase it won't power again until it feels like it.

Ok, so stuff happens in life that would make an episode of the x-files.
So we all know what crazy components that you are running, please run UserBenchMark and post a link to the results page.
Also, I would recommend disconnecting any non essential devices...USB dongles, rgb craziness, fancy spinny things etc etc.
Get to the absolute basics first.
Is your mobo shorting out on the case ?
Have you a spare keyboard/mouse to use ?
does it fire up without the ethernet/wifi connected ?
Any storage devices connected that dont need to be ?
I have heard that if you think of a fluffy white cloud with a golden unicorn dancing on it, that can help when to press the on button (not tried it myself!)

Jun 17, 2022
UserBenchmarks: Game 61%, Desk 98%, Work 80%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 88.6%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980 - 62.2%
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB - 78.6%
SSD: Corsair MP400 2TB - 366.9%
SSD: Samsung 870 QVO 8TB - 112%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 95%
RAM: Corsair CMT128GX4M4E3200C16 4x31.8GB - 79.1%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B550 AORUS MASTER

When the power switch of the PSU is first turned on. Not switched on by the PC but just the switch on the back of the PSU is on.
I find that my keyboard, mouse and streamdeck is lit up?
I also noticed that my ICUE ELITE CPU Cooler LCD Displays an exclamation mark.
It sounds like your motherboard's bios is set to leave some usb ports always powered on, so those devices light up as soon as the power supply is turned on. Check your bios usb power related settings.

Reactions: Groundrush1
Jun 17, 2022
It sounds like your motherboard's bios is set to leave some usb ports always powered on, so those devices light up as soon as the power supply is turned on. Check your bios usb power related settings.
Thanks for your reply.

I did look at bios but unable to find anything related to that.
The keyboard etc does not stay lit when I power down. It's only if I turn the PSU switch off then back on again when the PC is off that they light up

Once the pc is powered up things go back to normal and stays off when I power down

Reactions: dwd999