To purchase or not to purchase?

Ahadjisavvas

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Hey everyone , my name's Andreas i'm from cyprus and i've been considering to upgrade my pc for a long time now (about 6 months) and go from sandy bridge and gtx 680 to skylake and gtx 980ti . There is a high percentage that i will be going to canada this christmas and the only components i'm missing are the cpu , gpu and motherboard. I've been wondering if i can purchase the motherboard and graphics card from canada but i'm now been torn berween to buy or not to buy, since i have studied the power requirements between europe ,us and canada and found out that all of these have different power requirements ,voltage and wall socket requirements. So my question is does this appy to motherboards and gpus having different voltage in various regions of the world or is this simply not true. Please help , because this will affect my purchasing decision .
Your help will be much appreciated

Solution
The only part of your computer that is sensitive to which power is being fed to the computer is the power supply. And even most power supplies will take anything from 100 volts to 240 volts with ease.

The power supply then takes whatever AC power you are feeding it, and outputs +12 volt DC, -12 volt DC, +5 volt DC, and +3 volt DC.

So any computer parts worldwide, except for the power supply, and items powered from the wall, will all work in your system. And even the power supply will work anywhere for you if it is a unit that can accept 100 volt to 240 volts.
All motherboard headers have standardized voltages on their inputs and will work worldwide. The only part of the PC that is affected by the various supply voltages is the PSU. Modern high efficiency PSU's featuring Active PFC can accept voltages from 110-240 and some even go as low as 100V-240V (for the Japan market), only the power cord from the wall to the PSU is different.
The graphics card and motherboard purchased in Canada will work with other parts purchased elsewhere.

The only part of your computer that is sensitive to which power is being fed to the computer is the power supply. And even most power supplies will take anything from 100 volts to 240 volts with ease.

The power supply then takes whatever AC power you are feeding it, and outputs +12 volt DC, -12 volt DC, +5 volt DC, and +3 volt DC.

So any computer parts worldwide, except for the power supply, and items powered from the wall, will all work in your system. And even the power supply will work anywhere for you if it is a unit that can accept 100 volt to 240 volts.

Solution

Ahadjisavvas

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

Well i wouldn't post if i hadn't already made the decision to search the right components , right? :) I just wanted to ask just to make sure that i can bring them over from canada to here without experiencing problems after starting up the pc due to the difference in electricity requirements that each region has

Ahadjisavvas

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Wow thanks so much guys . I came here expecting to get answers really late but that wasn't the case all . All of the answers and feedback that i got from you guys was amazing . In the end all of the answers were great but i chose the one that summarized and cleared everything up . Don't think that the rest of you that answered were left out of my best answers you are all in , but unfortunately i can only select one answer as the best solution . Again thanks everyone for your amazing feedback and your support was much appreciated.