To Raptor or not to Raptor??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dhermanedina

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Sorry to beat a dead horse but I think a lot of you are missing the point.

I want a small, fast, HDD that will only hold Programs/Windows.

ALL data will be stored on a much larger HDD.

My assumption is that by placing what are essentially read only programs on the smaller/faster drive, there is less overhead to remember where things are. You can keep it degragged as you want it to be. Thus, windows will boot much faster.

Heck, it wouldn't even need to be 160 GB, 50 or 60 GB would be enough.

Any thing that needs to write to a disk would be sent to the larger HDD(s). If possible, I would even put it in an array of some sort.

Yes, I know you can get large, fast drives ALMOST close to a raptor. And for much cheaper. But, to my way of thinking, it will get slower over time as more data is written to it. And re-written.

Or am I missing something totally?

Thanks, Dan

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I owned a 36GB, 2-74GB, and now a 150GB Raptor. I've tried several others and build computers for others with supposedly fast drives with more cache and they just don't feel as snappy. The raptors are just quicker and make the system seem to run faster. I tried others and always come back to the Raptors. Not to mention I have never had a Raptor fail, I can't say that for other drives.

grunchlk

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
"Or am I missing something totally?"

Yes:

1) The raptor will give you a minor performance increase and it costs a lot more.

2) Defragging will give you a *very minor* performance increase, even if your harddisk is astronomically fragmented before you defrag.

(I'm talking real life performance here, not benchmarking numbers.)

But.. if you buy a raptor.. you DO HAVE A RAPTOR :)

Ok, seriously, I am not so optimistic about the speed as cisco but the raptor does feel a little bit more smooth.

As others have said: if money isn't an issue: go for it! :)

Grunchlk