Question To SLI or not to SLI?

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Currently considering SLI. Im just one of those people who would rather max out FPS on every game on the best settings and dislike any stutter during gameplay. Currently have a 1080ti FTW3, i7-9700k, 32gb of 3200mhz ddr4 ram. Deeply thinking about getting another 1080ti to SLI with. Just for context i would like to state i use a 1920x1080p 240hz monitor and use gsync. Heard that gsync is problematic when you SLI. So assuming im going to get 240+ fps anyways i could technically just sync to my monitors refresh rate instead, correct? Thus rendering gsync obsolete? Also is it even worth it to SLI 1080ti's in todays day and age? Would this be future proof for the next 5+ years? Just hate the idea that i would take a loss when a newer set of graphics cards come down the line and they blow 1080ti SLI out of the water. Sorry if this seems trivial just want some more opinions on the matter. I am overall satisfied with my PC. But Escape from Tarkov has been giving me a bit of issues even after optimizing what i could and I am also considering games in the future that may do so as well.

Not many games run well with multiple graphics card setups. It's a poorly supported feature. So whether it's worth going the SLI route will heavily depend on the games you intend to play, with no guarantees future games will support a multiple graphics card setup. Personally I don't think it's worth the cost for the performance gain.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
True, also true but going with a 2080TI will just last him for a few years instead of staying with a 1080ti then later deciding to change the GPU.
None the less, its just opinion's we are giving nothing else its all back to the OP's own well.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Thank you to everyone who gave me their insight. I think i'll just stick with my 1080ti. Simply because i've considered the upgrade already but the 2080ti in my opinion isnt that big of a difference for me to shell out $1400. I was just thinking the 1080ti SLI upgrade would give me a 30-50% performance boost and it was simple as that. But the deeper i go down the rabbit hole im getting similar results, that SLI isnt compatible with a handful of games. Some being detrimental and some being completely obsolete towards performance.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
If i were him, i would go with a single 2080TI instead. It will last for at least 4 years to come with good use.
Any reasons for upgrading from a 1080ti to a 2080ti? Is it even worth it? I know it seems like i just have the cash to spend since im considering SLI but honestly its not like that at all LOL. Like i said maxing out performance is kind of that frustrating to me. Meaning i'd irresponsibly spend money when i probably shouldnt.

At 1080p the games that a single 1080Ti cannot achieve 240fps are going to be largely the same games where the cpu is the limiting factor. Most if not all modern AAA games won’t hit 200+ FPS with any cpu. Adding extra gpu power may not give you any extra FPS.

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
At 1080p the games that a single 1080Ti cannot achieve 240fps are going to be largely the same games where the cpu is the limiting factor. Most if not all modern AAA games won’t hit 200+ FPS with any cpu. Adding extra gpu power may not give you any extra FPS.
True. I play rainbow six siege and get relatively 240 to high 200's in fps. But yeah games like Escape from Tarkov or Battlefield has been a struggle to optimize to FPS values that i favor. I guess i cant do much about games that arent optimized very well in general. I shouldnt be complaining though. I am relatively satisfied with my setup. But i've always had an insatiable hunger for maxed settings with high fps.

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
A quick double check. The cheapeet 2080 is mor3 like $680 than 600 but still.
I would think a 1080ti is fine for what you need currently. There is no guarantee new hardware will fix a poorly optimized title.
Yes, Escape from Tarkov being one of them. I can barely maintain 120 fps even when i turn extra settings off like shadow visibility, overall visibility, Anisotropic filtering, and etc. Games just really hard to run. I just dont understand how content creators can maintain smooth gameplay however.

The FPS you get is determined not only by the graphics setup but also by your processor.
Can you provide a list of the make/model of your other parts?

As to graphics capability, currently the strongest card will be the Titan RTX which scores 100 on tom's gpu hierarchy list:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Crazy price if that matters.
RTX2080ti is 98.4
GTX1080ti is 96.0

A graphics card upgrade does not seem to be worth it.
As to sli, you would benchmark well, but gameplay would be prone to stuttering and screen tearing. Not a great Idea, I think.

Kiga I personally love SLI, however it's only useful in titles with very good to excellent SLI scaling. I wasn't sure whether Tarkov even had a SLI profile, therefore I checked one of my favorite GPU hardware reviewers on YouTube (below).

DudeRandom84: Escape From Tarkov 4K Ultra GTX 1080 TI SLI 8700K Frame Rate Performance Test
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soGhpWbg9HY

As you can see this video is from one year ago. Interesting fact: 4K @ 60FPS is the same amount of pixels of 1080p @ 240FPS. If you multiplied the FPS he's getting in-game @4K (70-80FPS), you'd have the theoretical FPS you'd achieve at 1080p. I say "theoretical" because while the demand on the GPU(s) would be the same, the demand on the CPU is not. The CPU demand increases somewhat in-step with the greater FPS. And since games do not place equal demand across all CPU cores/threads, you'll witness a varying degree of bottlenecking that will prevent my "theoretical" FPS count.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the RTX 2080 Ti, as it only achieves an average 30% improvement over the 1080 Ti, for a significant cost increase. Previous generational improvements were closer to 60%. I'd only purchase if I had a respectable amount of disposable income. And if I were to purchase it, this is the only model that I'd buy, in order to alleviate my fears of heating issues:

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING, 11G-P4-2484-KR, 11GB GDDR6, RGB LED & iCX2 Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors
$1,499.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487428

Summary: Based on this video, I believe that you'd achieve your FPS goal. With that said, even though the FPS would be impressive, what may not be are the "frame times". Another factor, is how SLI might possibly negatively affect adaptive sync (g-sync), and hence the frame times. I'm not aware of any hardware reviewer showing the effect that SLI has on this key factor.

Asus 08G160001240 SLI Bridge Connector 70MM Flexible
* SLI bridge I purchased for my secondary rig last year, that has two 980 Ti's. Works just fine.

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
The FPS you get is determined not only by the graphics setup but also by your processor.
Can you provide a list of the make/model of your other parts?

As to graphics capability, currently the strongest card will be the Titan RTX which scores 100 on tom's gpu hierarchy list:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Crazy price if that matters.
RTX2080ti is 98.4
GTX1080ti is 96.0

A graphics card upgrade does not seem to be worth it.
As to sli, you would benchmark well, but gameplay would be prone to stuttering and screen tearing. Not a great Idea, I think.
I have a EVGA 1080ti ftw3 with a base clock of 1500 something mhz.
I7 9700k i have it clocked to 4.8 ghz
2 sticks of 32gb ddr4 ram max clock at 3200 mhz. (Clocked at 2900 mhz)
1tb ssd
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming edge AC motherboard
I should have okay cooling because i get roughly 75 celcius on max load on my cpu and around the same or less for my gpu.

My main game is rainbow six siege and i can easily can maintain 240-280 fps with nearly maxed settings. But in Escape from tarkov my computer gets absolutely destroyed.

Last edited:

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Kiga I personally love SLI, however it's only useful in titles with very good to excellent SLI scaling. I wasn't sure whether Tarkov even had a SLI profile, therefore I checked one of my favorite GPU hardware reviewers on YouTube (below).

DudeRandom84: Escape From Tarkov 4K Ultra GTX 1080 TI SLI 8700K Frame Rate Performance Test
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soGhpWbg9HY

As you can see this video is from one year ago. Interesting fact: 4K @ 60FPS is the same amount of pixels of 1080p @ 240FPS. If you multiplied the FPS he's getting in-game @4K (70-80FPS), you'd have the theoretical FPS you'd achieve at 1080p. I say "theoretical" because while the demand on the GPU(s) would be the same, the demand on the CPU is not. The CPU demand increases somewhat in-step with the greater FPS. And since games do not place equal demand across all CPU cores/threads, you'll witness a varying degree of bottlenecking that will prevent my "theoretical" FPS count.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the RTX 2080 Ti, as it only achieves an average 30% improvement over the 1080 Ti, for a significant cost increase. Previous generational improvements were closer to 60%. I'd only purchase if I had a respectable amount of disposable income. And if I were to purchase it, this is the only model that I'd buy, in order to alleviate my fears of heating issues:

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING, 11G-P4-2484-KR, 11GB GDDR6, RGB LED & iCX2 Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors
$1,499.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487428

Summary: Based on this video, I believe that you'd achieve your FPS goal. With that said, even though the FPS would be impressive, what may not be are the "frame times". Another factor, is how SLI might possibly negatively affect adaptive sync (g-sync), and hence the frame times. I'm not aware of any hardware reviewer showing the effect that SLI has on this key factor.

Asus 08G160001240 SLI Bridge Connector 70MM Flexible
* SLI bridge I purchased for my secondary rig last year, that has two 980 Ti's. Works just fine.
See i dont understand how you would ever get a theoretical fps of 240 on 1080p. When i maxed my settings out i had at best around 80 fps on 1080p with my current specs (which i specified right above.) But even at 80 fps i would have stutters and significant dips here and there making overall gameplay horrendous. As a result i had to minimize almost everything besides texture to maintain 100-120 fps. Im not sure why. At the very least its playable for me but still dissapointing as i expected higher frames. Also the fact that the game automatically limits frames to 120. I wouldnt be so upset if i maintained a stable 120 fps. But like i said it fluctuates around the 100 to 120 mark. Depends on what map and what areas are more graphics intensive.

Edit: Sorry was on the mobile didnt watch the video until after posting. Realized its because he has an SLI setup that he can run 4k at all. Im conflicted because i saw benchmarks of a 1070ti sli setup that chugged on my main game rainbow six siege. And the detrimental effects of sli on a handful of other games. So ill be damned if i have to take a gpu out every time i want to play a game that conflicts with SLI. Thats why im so unsure of it all.

Last edited:
Removing the second card isn't necessary. You'd simply uncheck SLI in the Nvidia control panel. A reboot might also needed, but I don't recall.

** addendum **

FPS limit: I was not aware of the 120 FPS limit in Tarkov. If the limit is in-game only then I'm guessing it's possible to remove it by changing a line in the INIT file; you'd have to Google that problem, as I couldn't find a solution. You could also do an in-file text search inside the Tarkov folders, for the keyboard "120" or "FPS". If the 120 FPS limit limit is specific to this variant of the Unity engine, then there would be no work-around.

Last edited:

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Removing the second card isn't necessary. You'd simply uncheck SLI in the Nvidia control panel. A reboot might also needed, but I don't recall.

** addendum **

FPS limit: I was not aware of the 120 FPS limit in Tarkov. If the limit is in-game only then I'm guessing it's possible to remove it by changing a line in the INIT file; you'd have to Google that problem, as I couldn't find a solution. You could also do an in-file text search inside the Tarkov folders, for the keyboard "120" or "FPS". If the 120 FPS limit limit is specific to this variant of the Unity engine, then there would be no work-around.
I cant even run at a stable 120 fps so there would be little to no reason to look to uncap it. Id rather try to find optimization to make the fps stable.