To upgrade or build again?

xPARKiE

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
Firstly, I was not sure which subtopic this would fit best under, but components seemed the most general and therefore most appropriate.

I build my first gaming PC back in early 2015 with some low-mid tier components (listed at the bottom of the post) and as I have been earning some money over the summer I was looking to upgrade my GPU to better cope with some of the newer games coming out and really make solid use of my 144Hz monitor in some older/easier to run titles. I was initially tempted to go with the RX 580 as this was the best performance and best value within my budget (about £300), however after doing some research I realised that the new RX Vega cards should be releasing in the coming months (I believe early-mid August is the current estimate) so was intending to wait and see what the performance of these would be like considering the RX 580 was only going to blow about £200 of my £300 budget and these new Vega cards would be closer to the £300 mark. Another point I should mention is that my PC is currently in storage with my grandparents as I am at university and I couldn't take it home to my parents house for summer, so I won't be using it anyways until early September. By this point I would think the Vega cards would be released, also hopefully bringing the RX 580 down in price as well.

As I touched on before my use-case would be aiming for 60+fps with high/ultra settings 1080p in newer more taxing games and hitting solidly above 150fps in Overwatch and CSGO on Med/Low 1080p if this is any indication. Also as previously mentioned I would be looking to spend around £300 maximum.

Now onto my final overarching point, my build (listed below) includes an FX 8320, it's overclocked a little and is great for video editing and other workloads that I use it for more than most people and at the time it was decent for gaming too. However now the chip is getting pretty old now and I'm worried that getting a shiny new GPU won't make a whole load of difference with such an old CPU bottlenecking me in games.

So, overall, would it be worth selling of the old rig and starting anew or will the FX 8320 hold its own even with a new Vega card or with the RX 580?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer me!

Niall

Build:
AMD FX 8320 (@4.0GHz)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
MSI 970A-G43
Gigabyte R9 280
HyperX Savage 2x4GB (@2133MHz)
WD Blue 1TB HDD (7200RPM)
OCZ ARC100 SSD (128GB)
Zalman Z11

Monitor - BenQ XL2411T (@144Hz)

xPARKiE

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017

I've actually already seen this haha, but thanks anyway!