To Upgrade or not to upgrade

spyfish

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
31
0
10,530
HI guys

So i had almost made my mind up for a Upgrade. But now im getting second thought about it.

Right now I have the following setup:
Phenom II 720 BE
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
4 GB DD2 (800Mhz)
OZC vertex 4 128 GB SSD (just installed)
2TB standard HD
630W PSU
Antec 300 case (also just installed)

I was planning to upgrade to Z68/2600 or 2600K. OR Z77 paired with 3570K. I already bough:
- 16 GB ddr3 1600 (CL8, Corsair Vengance)
- Corsair H80 closed loop liquid cooler

The reason i have second thoughts is that I Unlocked the 4th Core of the 720, and clocked it to 3.2 GHz seemingly stable with all cores enabled. (At least Prime 95 does not crash it). The combination of that and the SSD already gave me quite a performance boost.

However the MB only takes DDR 2, and SATA 2. And i would love to use the new RAM and to properly utilize the SSD. Although i was mighty Impressed on how the SSD boosted the performance even on SATA 2. But SATA 3 should almost double the SSD performance.

I basically have 2 choices as i see it.
1. Get a new MB that supports my current CPU and take DDR 3 and have SATA 3.
2. Get a new CPU with a Z68 or Z77 MB. ( im a bit skeptic to Ivy as 22nm is still very new)

Obviously option 2 will give me the best performance and most future proof. While option 1 will give me a good boost for less money (only new MB)

On the other hand as I've already spent quite a few bucks on new, case, RAM, SSD and cooler it might be a "waste" if i go for option 1.

Maybe im just trying to Justify/Convince myself to go for new CPU/MB. And then try and sell my AMD setup. :)

I was originally waiting for Ivy to get the HD 4000 Graphics as it probably would met my moderate gaming needs. But now im thinking of getting a Discrete GPU later down the road anyway. If i go for option 2, i have a feeling going for 2500K or 2600K is a safer choice. (proven reliability and OC performance)

So its not so much asking for advice, but more the question "what would you do?"
 
Hello spyfish;

Can you wait around till this time next week?
All the Ivy Bridge reviews should dropping in on the 23rd.

I'm thinking you'll know quite a bit more at that point in time.
Should help you decide if you want to hold, fold or deal a new hand (so to speak).
 

spyfish

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
31
0
10,530


Thanks, yeah i think that is a very good idea. The (pre) reviews on Ivy I've seen so far was not very impressive.
Although im itching to get the RAM up and running. But i will wait :pt1cable:
 

spyfish

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
31
0
10,530
based on the reviews that have come out that pretty much confirmed the "previews" regarding temperature, i went ahead and ordered a 2500K with a decent z77 MB.

I'll rather have a proven overclocker then the first gen Ivy that runs hot.

I could probably have waited longer to see if prices dropped more, but have to get it at some point.

Now i just need to try and sell my Phenom II setup :)
 

TRENDING THREADS