To V-Sync or not to V-Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I prefer it off in fps's. It doesn't increase input lag (some people mistake the effects triple buffering has on input lag for vsync-symptoms), but because of the way vsync works, occasionally there is a poorly coded game where if you dip x amount of frames below the refresh rate of your monitor (just 5 or 6 frames for a moment for instance), long story short you can end up with choppy play or frame-rates being halved momentarily.

Basically I just don't see any reason to use it unless you're playing a game and notice either egregious frame-tearing, or it's one of the games where vsync-on is recommended for your GPU because it for whatever reason will result in steadier fps or less stuttering etc.

schoenda

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Funny but I completely get what casualcolors said...and for the same reason I prefer to play with v-sync on unless otherwise indicated because I tend to experience tearing with v-sync off with more titles than I experience slow down due to v-sync on. In the end I guess it is based on your system...if you can get way more fps than you need turn it on, if you are barely getting say 30fps then fure sure leave it off as tearing will not be an issue.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

As far as the best overall choice for someone with a high quality gaming computer, this is generally good advice. I also have a good computer but my choice is strictly preference and I have to closely monitor all games for which ones will benefit from vsync and which ones won't (or may potentially suffer from it).

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I always play with it on. First of all, if I don't, the screen-tearing is unbearable (I can deal with screen-tearing in strategy games). Secondly, with it off my frame rate is usually very high but I get slowdown from inconsistent frame rates bouncing all over the place (which again, doesn't bother me with strategy games). I had rather run the game at a constant and unchanging 60 frames per second, and eliminate screen-tearing in the process.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
As a sidenote, switching V-Sync ON can potentially reduce the graphics card load in certain games where you would otherwise get way more than 60fps. Reduced load will result in less power consume, resulting in less heat, resulting in less fan noise.

Besides 30fps is enough for the human eye, anyway.

This being said, I'd say consider screen tearing/heat(noise)/performance and decide accordingly.

"enough" is a personal preference and different people see things differently.

Regardless, V-sync is a good measure as mentioned all over above to deal with varying frame rates and tearing. Another useful feature of it is it prevents your card from running flat out all the time while running a low demanding game.

Long story short, try both settings and see which works best for you instead of asking a question that has no straight answer

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I could've sworn the human eye can see 60... I guess it has more to do with the game. You definitely need as many frames as you can get if you're playing a shooter but with games like RPG's and MMO's, it's not quite as important. I usually keep it off just so I can see as many FPS as I can.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Doesn't matter how many frames the human eye can process at max (it can process way more), it just matters at which point things appear fluid to the eye.

For instance, most movies run @24/25fps and appear fluid.

Than again it also depends on the light conditions, what you are seeing, if motion blur or other effects are used, etc.

I think we can all settle with the more the better, but also that a consistent 60fps should be more than enough no matter what. :)

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Yeah, I can't hang with 30. That is Xbox quality. I'm not shooting for Xbox quality.

I gotta have at least 45, and preferably 60.

I usually run with vsync on, no point in generating the extra heat, and using extra power to produce frames I'm not going to see due to my display's limitations. I generally only turn it off in highly demanding titles where I can't get a solid 60FPS with my current hardware, ie. Crysis, or when vsync is either causing performance problems, or the option is horribly broken ie. Dead Space with vsync capping the framerate at 30FPS, and introducing severe mouse lag.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

V-Sync caps the framerate at 25 for me in Crysis. But I found a way around that. Force it in CCC and keep it off in-game, or switch to windowed mode and then back again every time I play.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I keep hearing about input lag. Are you using a wireless mouse and keyboard? I never get input lag - never. I am using a good wired mouse and mechanical keyboard and I always use v-sync and never have any input lag. When I press a button or move the mouse, I assume it happens on screen within 1/20 of a second, because I don't notice a difference.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Aye, you're right. I remember now. I have gone that road before.

i dont understand how anyone could bare to have vsync off, screen tearing is not what you want to look at, if you accept screen tearing then you are blind. Vsync doesnt increase input lag, and i don't notice input lag with tripple buffering. If you get "input lag" its probably your mouse settings or the fact that you have a slow computer or crap mouse. Wireless mice increase input lag also.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

You're right about vsync, however triple buffering does actually cause some small amount of input lag that some people notice. A lot of it really depends on the genre of game that you're playing. I don't notice any detraction from triple buffering in some genres while in others it actually drives me nuts and ruins the game experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.