Question To VPN or Not? That is the question.

Nov 6, 2019
I previously asked how VPN worked but after a few answers, maybe I should have started with: "Does the average shmo need VPN?"

We have a lot of surveillance, impinging on our privacys and I am always looking for ways to be just a little safer.

My concern isn't that the Dark State will get me, I'm sure my metadata isn't interesting. I am concerned that corporations are accumulating more and more personal data and I just want to slow that down a little.

What say you?

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
In my opinion yes the average person is better off with a VPN of some sort. There are certainly plenty of data-mining companies collecting all sorts of data these days.

My personal favorite is Surfbouncer. They've been around a long time and seem pretty reliable.

Nov 6, 2019
In my opinion yes the average person is better off with a VPN of some sort. There are certainly plenty of data-mining companies collecting all sorts of data these days.

My personal favorite is Surfbouncer. They've been around a long time and seem pretty reliable.

When someone signs up for that, how do they access the VPN when they open their laptop?

Nov 6, 2019
Once it's set up, do you automatically go thru the VPN when ever you open your laptop? Or do you have to login to the VPN each session? Can I use any browser or do I have to set up each browser. Did I say I am a novice? Thanks in advance.

Nov 11, 2019
Right here's the big question for you. What is it you do that you think you need a VPN for ? Do you do anything illegal on your PC that could potentially get you into some sort of trouble if you get caught ? IF the answer to that question is yes then you probably need a VPN just to be on the safe side. The only reason you need a VPN is if you are doing dodgy stuff online because idk if you have noticed but allot of sites on the web are already secure. if you are just a casual internet user who uses their PC to game (Legitimately), Check social media, Do work and check banking then you 100% don't need a VPN you just need to be smart. If your checking your banking for example then please make sure the site is https encrypted and has a valid certificate. Having a VPN wont affect you in anyway in this scenario. If you are still undecided on whether or not you need a VPN then why not check out Tom Scott's video on them that I have linked below. He goes into more depth of what a VPN does and how it can benefit you.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Once it's set up, do you automatically go thru the VPN when ever you open your laptop? Or do you have to login to the VPN each session? Can I use any browser or do I have to set up each browser. Did I say I am a novice? Thanks in advance.
It doesn't automatically connect since then you wouldn't be able to pick which server location you want to connect to. So for example, if your trying to look like your coming from the UK and your actually in the US, you'd connect to a UK server. But the next time you use the VPN you may want to appear to be in Canada, so then you'd connect to that server. Just to be clear, you don't need to reboot the computer to change locations. Connecting to the VPN once it's set up is as simple as clicking a button so it's not an issue to connect each time.

You can use any web browser you like it's not specific.

Nov 6, 2019
Right here's the big question for you. What is it you do that you think you need a VPN for ? Do you do anything illegal on your PC that could potentially get you into some sort of trouble if you get caught ? IF the answer to that question is yes then you probably need a VPN just to be on the safe side. The only reason you need a VPN is if you are doing dodgy stuff online because idk if you have noticed but allot of sites on the web are already secure. if you are just a casual internet user who uses their PC to game (Legitimately), Check social media, Do work and check banking then you 100% don't need a VPN you just need to be smart. If your checking your banking for example then please make sure the site is https encrypted and has a valid certificate. Having a VPN wont affect you in anyway in this scenario. If you are still undecided on whether or not you need a VPN then why not check out Tom Scott's video on them that I have linked below. He goes into more depth of what a VPN does and how it can benefit you.

Thank you very much. That video was very helpful. I don't plan on doing anything illegal but just looking to keep as private as I can. Not so worried about the state spying on me as Google, Amazon and ATT.