Question To wipe a laptop Lenovo

Oct 12, 2019
Hi
I have a work to do, I have a laptop Lenovo Thinkpad, an old laptop and I want to wipe all data in its hard drive, so I created an USB Bootable with Kill disk, I changed some settings in the Bios, I use the legacy Boot because it is an old laptop and it did not accept the UEFI Boot but when the process advances and the bios asks me to click on F10 to erase all data, it gives nothing, if someone can help I thank him very much

Solution
If you have another working computer, pull the hard drive from the laptop and install it into the working computer. Also install KillDisk onto that working computer and erase the laptop drive from there.

-Wolf sends

John553

BANNED
Oct 5, 2019
Formatting the drive will erase all the data, just make sure you select the right drive!!! I've known a lot of people who have accidentally formatted the wrong drive by mistake.

Oct 12, 2019
Formatting the drive will erase all the data, just make sure you select the right drive!!! I've known a lot of people who have accidentally formatted the wrong drive by mistake.
Hi John553,
Thank you for your response but I am sure I selected the right one to erase all data,
I think there is a parameter in the settings to change because it was done in another laptop.

Oct 12, 2019
If you have another working computer, pull the hard drive from the laptop and install it into the working computer. Also install KillDisk onto that working computer and erase the laptop drive from there.

-Wolf sends
Hi Wolf
Thank you for your response, I have some laptops with the same work, I must wipe them but I have this issue in the some of them, do you think it is the only solution to resolve this issue? I don't want lose a lot of time to pull the hard drive everytime and to put it in the other laptop.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Did KillDisk support provide any answers as to why it may have failed on some systems? I'm not familiar with KillDisk, so I don't know why it would work on some systems and not on others.

Other than trying other options which may have the same results, I think moving the drives you want zeroed out to a working computer with KillDisk installed is the easiest option. I don't know that a simple format will zero out the drive making the data unrecoverable.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: samynio85
Oct 12, 2019
Did KillDisk support provide any answers as to why it may have failed on some systems? I'm not familiar with KillDisk, so I don't know why it would work on some systems and not on others.

Other than trying other options which may have the same results, I think moving the drives you want zeroed out to a working computer with KillDisk installed is the easiest option. I don't know that a simple format will zero out the drive making the data unrecoverable.

-Wolf sends
No nothing I click many times on F10 but nithing, in successful cases, after clicking F10,
the BIOS asks me to type "ERASE-ALL-DATA" and click enter, from this moment it begins to erase the data on the disk.

Moving a hard drive on a laptop that finished the wipe of data on his hard drive, does not ask anything, in your opinion if I follow the same steps I would not have other problems and the bios will detect directly the new hard disk installed?

Oct 12, 2019
No idea. Again, I'm not familiar with the set up of these laptops nor the software itself. All I can go is give (somewhat) educated guesses. Honestly, the best way to find out is to try it (or hope someone with more knowledge of these things chimes in).

-Wolf sends
Ok thank you for the help and the advices, despite that you do not master these kinds of laptops but you gave me as some ideas

Oct 12, 2019
Ccleaner can also do it easily within Windows, opting to erase (1,3,7, 35 passes, although 1 real overwrite is more than sufficient) entire disk or just free space. If you quick format beforehand, that would nuke overwrite entire drive....
I can not go into Windows it is a laptop to erase all data with a Bootable USB

John553

BANNED
Oct 5, 2019
Are you trying to recycle the drives? If all your trying to do is erase the data and you don't care about keeping the drive then the foolproof method would be to open up the drive itself and hit the plates (or chips) in the drive with a blow torch for a minute or so. I guarantee nobody will read that data.

Reactions: samynio85