[SOLVED] Toasted CPU?

Feb 15, 2020
Here's what happened, and I'm wondering if I fried my CPU...

- Over temp. warning popped up.

- Noticed it when I came back into the room, and it may have been up for as long as 15 minutes.

-Computer died before I got it shut down, and it wouldn't reboot.

-Fans, and drives are getting power, but nothing happens with the drive activity light, the lights don't activate on my keyboard, and the monitor isn't getting a signal.

- Tried swapping in another hard drive... no joy. Tried a USB recovery disk... STILL no joy. :(

My guess... blown CPU, but I'm loath to drop the money for a new CPU without being sure. Does my guess seem right?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
Solution
Take the side off the pc and look for and signs or smells of burning on the motherboard. My feeling is it’s more likely a fried motherboard than a fried cpu. Assuming a half modern CPU’s it will have a lot of overheat protection.
Feb 15, 2020
Take the side off the pc and look for and signs or smells of burning on the motherboard. My feeling is it’s more likely a fried motherboard than a fried cpu. Assuming a half modern CPU’s it will have a lot of overheat protection.
That was my first thought too, but there was definitely no smell, no visible scorching, and no bloated, or burst transistors.

That was my first thought too, but there was definitely no smell, no visible scorching, and no bloated, or burst transistors.
It is entirely possible for the damage to not be visible but it would have been a useful hint if you did see something. At this point you can only swap parts to find what has died. My feeling is motherboard is more likely the issue but it could be the cpu.

Reactions: karen_w