Dec 20, 2022
Hello everyone,

Today I learned the hard way that you shouldn't use your old modular PSU SATA power cable on your new one and my brand new 2TB BX-500 smells like molten silicon and prevents my pc to POST if it is plugged in.
I saw on other posts that someone did the same oopsie and managed to recover their EVO ssd by snipping pins on the e-fuse but I never did anything like it. (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/need-help-to-identify-the-tvs-diode-samsung-evo-850.3742180)

Here is a picture of the pcb, can someone help me recover it please, if that's still possible ?

gsyDluQ.png

Your SSD has a protection device near the SATA power connector. If you have a multimeter, we can take some voltage and resistance measurements. There may be a simple DIY solution.

MP5036AGJ, Monolithic Power, 5V, 0.4A - 5A Current Limit Switch with 5.75V Over-Voltage Clamp, marking BGQy, TSOT23-6:
https://www.monolithicpower.com/en/.../document_type/Datasheet/lang/en/sku/MP5036A/

I expect that you will find that the either the Vin or Source pin of MP5036AGJ is shorted to ground. If so, then remove this IC and link the Source and Vin pins. Afterwards, recheck for shorts. We can then do some additional checks, or you can take a punt and see if the SSD works.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeubeuReturns
Dec 20, 2022
Thank you fzabkar for the reply ! I do have a multimeter though I am not sure what readings I should have when testing the resistance. I believe it is this component but not sure how to identify the pins, I tried to find the side with ground but I am unsure, is GND the lower left one here ?
DYr7pFP.png

Dec 20, 2022
Your SSD has a protection device near the SATA power connector. If you have a multimeter, we can take some voltage and resistance measurements. There may be a simple DIY solution.

MP5036AGJ, Monolithic Power, 5V, 0.4A - 5A Current Limit Switch with 5.75V Over-Voltage Clamp, marking BGQy, TSOT23-6:
https://www.monolithicpower.com/en/.../document_type/Datasheet/lang/en/sku/MP5036A/

I expect that you will find that the either the Vin or Source pin of MP5036AGJ is shorted to ground. If so, then remove this IC and link the Source and Vin pins. Afterwards, recheck for shorts. We can then do some additional checks, or you can take a punt and see if the SSD works.

I tested the resistance of the source and Vin pins assuming GND is the left bottom one and have a 0 reading on both

It does look like that chip is shorted. I would use sharp, flush cutters to cut the Vin and Source pins close to the body of the IC. If this releases the short, then I would link the two capacitors on either side with a wire. This will bypass the switch.

You could also confirm that there are no shorts between ground and each of the inductors adjacent to the 6-pin BBD and AYR chips. The inductor is the largest of the 3 passive components.

Edit:

You could use any screw hole as your ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: falcon291
Dec 20, 2022
It does look like that chip is shorted. I would use sharp, flush cutters to cut the Vin and Source pins close to the body of the IC. If this releases the short, then I would link the two capacitors on either side with a wire. This will bypass the switch.

You could also confirm that there are no shorts between ground and each of the inductors adjacent to the 6-pin BBD and AYR chips. The inductor is the largest of the 3 passive components.

Yes, thank you so much ! It is working again following your instructions !