Tom’s Soapbox: An Argument for Ending the PC Vs. Console Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
considering what it costs for a decent GPU these days, i've moved to console for now. bought an XB1X for what it would have cost me to just buy a GPU for my rig. running an R9-280 now and anything worth calling an upgrade costs as much or more than the XB did.

until that kinda nonsense gets sorted out, i won't be upgrading my pc anytime soon.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
This should be more like OEM small form factor PC vs Console because that is the real comparisons, you have two platforms with little to no upgrade potential and a gaming life of 3-5 years. A gaming PC is a different monster entirely and will always be the defacto Premium hardware option over a console. Gaming PC's are complete freedom to pick how the machine looks and performs, that is a option you will never have on a console and the main selling point which keeps PC gamers focused on PC hardware. A gaming PC will always be the premium hardware options for API since if reflects the best the hardware market has to offer over something that is locked at launch.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
Well said. The platform wars have mystified me for ages. The only thing that matters in the end is the player's experience. If one is having a good time on the PC, why sould one care if someone else is enjoying themselves on a console, or a phone? Every platform has its merits, and debating about them can be a darn good time when everybody's being civil. But I definitely see no need to mock, deride, or insult someone else for their choice.

(For the record, SMS, SNES, PS1, N64, PC, GBA, PS2, GC, PS3, DS, PS4, Switch)

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Console PC whatever doesn't make a lick of difference if the games run well and look nice enough. But most importantly they need to both support mouse, keyboard, and controller so people can play with the controls they like. That is my bottom line.

I like the controller for Gran Tourismo on PS4 and controller is good for that. But tell me which console will let me play FPS with keyboard and mouse without hacks or mods?

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
+1 for keyboard and mouse... But this article feels like, "Yeah, we've written story after story about crypto mining and have managed to sell that to the point that there's no GPU left to buy. Consoles are headed for a slump, since PC guys aren't into that. So let's pump up that segment and get them to spend their money there."

mwryder55

Distinguished
The one thing not mentioned in this article is that most console games are only usable on one generation of the console. This means that if you like a game and they upgrade the console to a new model it may not run on the new console and you have to keep both of them. With a PC you can run a lot of "ancient" games on new hardware. The only times I have had a problem is with some of the software protection schemes and some really old games that used timing loops.

Anarkie13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
I'm all for both as well. I converted from console to PC years ago (midway through the Xbox 360 life-cycle). Was primarily on PC only until I was gifted a PS4Pro. With a 4K TV, the games look and play great. And thanks to Samsung making a nice deal with Steam, I can even play through the Steamlink interface.
I still use my monitor when my wife or kids want the TV and I want to play my games. But the options and flexibility are damn nice to have.
As for the controls, I use mainly a controller for most, KBM for some and a wheel for my racing. Again, flexibility. And with PC and PS4 both, I get the biggest library of stuff I play.
Going forward, I'll keep up a great PC and get the newest consoles only after a price drop. Problem solved.

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
What caught me off guard was this: "and likely wait years for PC hardware that can handle current-gen console titles".

Are you serious ?

Most PC enthusiasts have far better hardware than consoles, especially graphics wise. My GTX 1070 alone does 6.5 TFlops, which is basically 50% more than a PS4 Pro. And it's far from being the best card out there. I'm running most recent games on Ultra with an old watercooled i7 2600k... it's a 7 years old CPU ! Of course, my old P4 2.66Ghz can't run recent games, but compare current gen consoles with current gen PC hardware and the performance winner is easy to pick.

I just need to upgrade my GPU every couple of years, which often costs me a bit less than a new console ($380 US tax included for my current GPU).

desuemery

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
I agree with your main point, but...

"likely wait years for PC hardware that can handle current-gen console titles"

What? I'm not even sure where that statement comes from. Consoles are objectively less powerful than a mid-high end PC.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
The biggest drawback of console is the "control" imposed by the multinational corporate entities. Technically at this point in time, the techonology in the console is the same as it would be in PC, laptop, etc. but that "control" is what is so good for the corporate entities is so terrible for the end user. This control manifest itself even in simple matters like keyboard/mouse controller issues. Additionally you have console exclusives, which all meant to distort the market in favor of whichever corporate sponsored entity. The so called advantage of lower cost, simpler to use, are more like a trojan horse to get people locked-in to a platform and under "control". At the end of the day, I am agnostic to all of this, whatever works works, and if it is cheap enough is probably ok. But over past 25 years, the reality is, despite Microsoft, Sony, whoever else's lofty talk about seizing the center of the living room, I've never been convinced to abandon my self-built PCs even one tiny bit, and at the same time I'll get the console for the exclusive games that can't be played otherwise, usually on discount somewhat well behind the curve.

Colin_10

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Good Article.
Not to derail it, but I still find it unbelievable that game developers don't put more effort into getting their titles on multiple systems (xbox/ps/nin/PC.) From a marketing, and market share perspective a lot of titles totally hamstring themselves by only developing for one, and then they complain about not making enough money on the title so they have to put in microtransactions. If you multiply your potential market cap by 4 it can't be a bad thing...

I understand that it's probably not the developing studio making this choice, but the whole ecosystem seems to be getting their priorities mixed up.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
"likely wait years for PC hardware that can handle current-gen console titles"

Did any of you really read that paragraph? He means PC hardware to handle console emulation. Emulation is very, very heavy. You need an i7-like CPU to emulate a PS3, for example, even though the PS3 hardware is very weak compared to it.

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

That's part of the main article.

There's really no comparison. They are entirely different machines. One is primarily for gaming and the other can do many things. One gives you total control and the other seals the vault and throw away the key. Price points are also usually radically different which a why a PC can always win the proceeding power fight. It comes down to titles and exclusive titles and which system plays them.

That is true. I still have my PS3 right next to my PS4 in the TV console. With that said, I couldn't tell you when the last time I played my PS3 and those older games. The graphics improvement of the PS4 with say Far Cry 4 on the PS3 vs. Far Cry 4 on the PS4 just blows it away. It's like going from 1600x900 resolution to 1920x1200 resolution in visual quality. It is nice to have an extra Blu-Ray player though in the event my stand alone player dies.

He's talking about exclusive titles being ported over to PC via emulation which destroys game performance and quality.

Anyway, here's my list of pros and cons for both and why I have both gaming variants (PC, PS):

PC Pros -
Higher resolution graphics and FPS performance options
Keyboard and mouse for shooters and RPGs
No annual online playing fees
Upgradeable across many generations of new hardware
Gaming hardware accessory compatibility (racing wheels, joysticks, etc.).

PC Cons -
Not easily portable
Higher power consumption
Hardware outdated for new games in 3 years or less (GPUs specifically)
Online cheaters

Console Pros - (Playstation perspective)
Portability for traveling for work stuck in a hotel for a week or vising family and sharing.
Low power consumption
Space saver
Exclusive titles not on PC
Free AAA title games with annual PS+ membership (games that are a few years old)
More PC sim racing supported games now (Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, DiRT Rally)
Games optimized for 60FPS without needing to be tweaked (also a con)

Console Cons -
No keyboard+mouse support (but you can connect keyboard for more control assignments)
Must pay $60/yr to play online
No higher quality setting options for increased eye candy
Generally more kids using them online than PC gaming portals

I've been both a PC and console gamer since the Apple IIc and Atari 2600, and I'll be doing it for the rest of my capable life as well.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Xbox is adding Freesync 2, 1440 and HDR
Plus
9b11a6d6e3b43554e065e2eb94977688733d1c070896f503af4dc2c46cbb76d2.jpg

jaexyr

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Far Cry 5 seemed as if it was built for console people, as priority. It is severely backtracked in effects and physics, since the previous games. Sure, it looks pretty, but that's about it. It's less of an art-form and more about $ anymore, it seems.

tomasf

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Totally agree with you. I love how i can configure and update my pc but at the same time I love the "just works" of the consoles. And as you said, pc hardware is so expensive right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.