Tom’s Hardware’s 2015 Wish List

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We've covered our "practical" gift ideas, we've petitioned the elves-in-charge for more extravagant presents and now we fire off our wishes for the future. Some of them are implausible. Others might be more than a year away. But we still have hope, right?

Tom’s Hardware’s 2015 Wish List : Read more

I'm with JP; I want to see software released when it's ready, and not before. This mostly applies to games, but how many patches has Microsoft released for Office?
And here's one. HP remembers how to write Windows-compliant printer drivers that don't get randomly stepped on in managed environments every time updates are pushed out.
I also want to see some good games, typically adventure / RPG, that do not have an "always online" requirement to play in single-user mode.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
1. AMD releases a competitive CPU
2. Freesync becomes widely and universally adopted
3. Oculus Rift Release
4. No more crappy console ports

If these 4 things happen in 2015, then in my mind, its a success

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
1) Freesync to become a universally adpoted standard.

2) AMD returns to glory. Without AMD pushing them, intel has gotten REALLY lethargic lately. 5% or 10% improvements are joke. I want a return to the good old days of 50-100% a year. Tho id say its unlikely to see this in 2015, and probably unlikely in 2016....but i can hope!

3) Graphics cards coming out that increase performance 50-100% over current offerings. Like cpus, graphics refreshes over the last few years have been pretty disappointing. Not as bad as the progress in the CPU space, but still quite disappointing. Mainly the foundries fault, as they have all fallen behind schedgule with the most recent processes. Hopefully 2015 sees a real GPU come out.

4) Ill sign on with the buggy video games with short play times. I refuse to preorder anything for this reason. If you aren't willing to give me 40 hours of unique game play for that $60, ill wait till its on sale for $5-$10 before i buy it. If the reviews come out that its a crappy console port, i wont even give you $10 for it. On the other hand, come out with a complete game with at least 40 hours of unique content, and i have money in hand for a day 1 buy(after i read reviews, sorry i don't trust most of the studios anymore to release quality). The same goes for overpriced DLC. Ive got money in hand for a full fledged expansion, but i don't want DLC with 1 hour of game play for $10. And i certainly don't want day 1 or month 1 DLC. If it was ready at release that almost certainly means it was removed from the game to charge more for. You wont be getting my business if you do this.

yanta

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
3 things for me...

I'd like to see entertainment synchronization. No more of this "it's available in the US but nowhere else in the world". One reason some people pirate is they just can't get the stuff in their country. We should be free to choose our personal entertainment experiences, and that means all music, TV, games and movies, available worldwide, at the same time. They do it for many movies each year... do it for everything.

And of course, Operating Systems; I'd like to see Linux come of age. To run everything that you can throw at it (better than Windows), and all games, applications and media will just work. Coming of age means simplification of tasks, stability, compatability and of course major UX improvements and a reduction in terminal dependencies.

Windows 10 is going nowhere. It's just Windows 8.2 really. It's a kids toy for the visually impaired and people who have no idea of security, privacy and real computer work (eg. Social butterflies).

And Lastly, no more "online-requirement games! I have boycotted several games purely because they require me to be always connected to the internet.

@Dookiedraws.. A TB SSD for under a $100... Yes! That would be nice.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Mine would be these: 1) Upload speeds that match my download speeds (sucks uploading large project files) 2) Android/Google maps integration in my car 3) Ultrabook or 2-in-1 with decent graphics that lasts at least five hours while gaming.

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
1. PSU cable pin-out standardization
2. Halt to production of HDDs in favor of SSDs only. Isn't this like still producing 3.5" floppies?
3. Cancellation of any Windows development past Windows 7
4. Ditch DVI in favor of HDMI

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
1. ISPs in the US return to title 2 like they were in the 90s so we can get some actual competition going on and not sit on 150mbs down in select markets for another half decade while giving major isps millions a year to burry fiber optic that they still haven't bought since the 96 tellcom communication act.

2.AMD releases an i7 slayer. Intel needs it, AMD needs it.

3. full DP1.3 for all new monitors. (Which BTW supports HDMI 2.0)

4. No more big release games launched before they're ready.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
1. Better value for my internet dollar. Lower latencies with at least a moderate speed boost. Either that or my cable provider has to knock $15-20 off my monthly rate.
2. A single, fully capable disk format for 4K movies
3. Laptops or ultrabooks with desktop replacement sized screens
4. A much more competitive AMD processor lineup
5. Consumer Wi-Fi routers that actually get 80% 4-5 egg/star reviews over their first few months on the market. Either this segment reaches too far too fast or they have really mediocre hardware/quality control. I shouldn't need to look at an old 54g to get a product people love.
6. FreeSync to become universal

HomerThompson

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

Man would I love to see that. I have been using exclusively AMD CPU's since the 90s until my build this year since they have absolutely nothing to compete with the Xeon E3-1231v3. With no competition on the desktop all Intel has to focus on is power consumption for mobile, and we get the same CPUs every year with just a couple percent bump in IPC every generation.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
My 2015 wishes are:
Energy to Matter "printer". Plug it in, print out food.
Matter to Energy "shredder". Plug your computer into it, and insert garbage.
Fiber to my porch, in the sticks.

More realistic (even though it wont ever happen):
A land based unlimited internet provider alternative that is not dial-up (for the sticks).
No satellite data/speed caps.
No cell data/speed caps.
End global hunger.
Animal translator devices.

g-unit1111

Titan

Ha, as much as I would like to see that happen, we're talking about the New England Patroits (Intel) taking on the Oakland Raiders (AMD). Or the Yankees vs. the Chicago Cubs. As long as AMD keeps using AM3+ I highly doubt that we'll ever see it happen.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
I didn't play AC Unity (thankfully) but man, either it had to be REALLY bad or people just started realizing how unfinished these games have always been. Not even counting the quality of the gameplay itself, I played AC: Black Flag - Freedom Cry for a few hours today and it crashed on me three times, and I can't even tell you the number of times I experienced NPCs popping in and disappearing.

Gigabit internet... hahahahahahahaha! Yeah i'll be long dead before we get anything over 30Mb. I am pretty sure we still pay the highest price in the world for the slowest internet where I live. We just recently upgraded from 1.5Mb DSL (actually 80Kb down). That cost $70 a month. Now we have 15Mb for $130.

Never going to happen in my lifetime.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
1. Game developers to stop using low bit rate video encoding for cinematic cut scenes.
2. ASUS to release a firmware update to support FreeSync for VG248QE screen.
3. Release Warcraft 1, 2, 3 remastered in 4K resolution, and include as a bonus with Warcraft 4.
4. Release Marvel vs Capcom 4 with 100 characters per side as a PC exclusive!
5. Humanity's release from religious clutches, so it could finally start advancing into the next level of being.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nice nixie tubes!

My wishlist:
1. sub-$100 10 GigE NICs
2. sub-$1000 OLED monitors (at least 24" and 2560x1600)
3. 20 nm GPUs from AMD or Nvidia
4. 20 nm APUs from AMD
5. M.2 SSDs & motherboards with NVMe support

ET3D

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
1. I wanted AMD to not leave the desktop behind. AMD enthusiast CPU's are already dead, and rumour has it that Carrizo will be mobile only. I don't need AMD to be better than Intel, just to provide an upgrade path for users. That said, I also want Carrizo to be good on mobile.
2. Really good small tablet hardware. I want a small Windows tablet that's good enough for work/gaming (not just-release-AAA-gaming, just something that's significantly better than Bay Trail). I also want new ~$200 good Android tablets, like the Nexus 7 was.
3. An Oculus Rift that "just works" on any PC. DK2 is hell.
4. More Android versions of PC games. (But without trying to leech all my info via unneeded permissions.)
5. I don't know. Forgot.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I think that you can fix atleast the problem to ship to Europe, considering that you have tomshardware.de in Germany ^^. And if you fixed that, from the EU i guess you can ship worldwide ^^. Yes, some hardware that is available in the USA sometimes isn't available in the EU, so you make an EU variant of the giveaway ^^

And yea, my wishlist:

1. Return of AMD in the CPU war
2. nVidia to adopt freesync ^^ (but they wont, because they like to milk people)

pecul1ar

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Wishful Thinking eh?

I want all my programs to never need to go online, period (just like the old days). Oh and for billion dollar net companies to stop harvesting private info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS