Tom’s Hardware’s (Practical) 2014 Holiday Gift Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Give me a 34" 21:9 monitor that is 120+ Hz and I'll be all over it. Until then, I'll stick with a 16:10 or 16:9 that can do 120+ Hz (because refresh rate beats resolution any day).

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

I agree completely. 60Hz flicker gives me migraines... The FPS isn't as important but I need the smooth flicker of a faster monitor. I can't buy 60Hz units regardless... I actually miss the old CRT days where you could just push 75 or 80... it was so much easier/nicer/etc.But we have to jump from 60-120 or more. My current unit is 144Hz. I'd love a 4K unit but it's going to be a long while for me.

e-reader : I prefer the Kobo Aura HD - less expensive, same screen resolution (but bigger, so "only" 266dpi), not as fancy (touch screen, not haptic feedback), but FAR MORE versatile- ePub and CBZ on a 32 Gb SD card? Oh yes!
earphones : I wonder why no one mentions the Grado stuff - especially on a US site! I'm currently using the sr80e, and they are FANTASTIC - for half the price of this year's suggestion.

Great list, but there was only one thing that was under $100... The Polaroid Cube for $99.99. Would have been nice to see some stocking stuffers! But that's okay because this stuff is still pretty cool :)

I have to say it since no one else has. I miss the "Tom's Girls" in the Gift Guide product images. It was like the once-a-year SI swimsuit issue and now it's all gone.

There. I said it. You can call me a pre-vert or whatever.

I will say that while the Orbweaver is a little spendy, I think it's worthwhile to anyone that spends a decent chunk of time playing games. As said here, having the keys lined up in columns, opposed to offset on a normal keyboard, makes this much easier to use without looking. And don't forget the profiles aren't just for games. You can program it for video editing, Photoshopping, coding, and many other things. I've been very please with mine. Just be sure to get the Stealth version unless you want everyone in the house to hear you.

I'd also recommend the MS Band for the list. More than a fitness band, less than a full smart watch, and priced right in the middle. And it pairs with any Android, iOS, or Windows phone. Pretty decent piece of tech.

Nah, no need for the name calling. Personally, I don't miss them at all, but everyone is entitled to their tastes. I figure anyone wanting to see models with tech are only a few Bing/Google searches away from it. And it's probably easier for Tom's to make this list if they don't have to hire models.

LordConrad

Distinguished
I disagree with your choice of the Acer C720. Yes I wear glasses, but I think there are a lot of people who would agree with me that an 11 inch screen is too small for a computer.

That's what I'm talking about. It also set Tom's reviews apart from others. Also, whether people liked the babes or not, the reviews with the babes did generate a ton of traffic as evidenced by the massive number of comments in support of or against having the babes present in the comments section of the 'babes' pages.

Whether people would like to admit it or not in this PC world we live in, sex sells.

seshysama

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Jesus christ, how much do you earn yearly that you think ANY of these are practical???? Practical gifts are under $50. You're putting $500-$1000 computer parts on a list of practical presents? You're incredibly out of touch, guys

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I agree, I used to have an 11" Macbook and I got tired of the small screen and smaller keyboard. My Lenovo I have now is so much easier on the eyes.

Is your avatar still squinting from the use of that 11"? ;)

"I still haven’t seen a GeForce GTX 980 in action. I’d love to step up from my more than two-year-old GeForce GTX 680 to the 2048-shader version of GM204, and get more performance at lower power consumption. Sounds like just the adrenaline boost my aging Falcon Northwest Tiki could use for next-gen gaming. – By Chris Angelini"

Note to Santa or rich significant other, lol!

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Reading my mind.. the video card already on my wish list at amazon.. That Yiynova Tablet just made my wish list.. been eyeing the 24inch Wacom tablet for several months.. but the price is such a downer.. 500+ is still allot of money.. thinking about more now.. the artist in me craves the digital format.. Ohh and that reader.. another item on my wish list.. not the one shown here.. amazon has three or 4 different models.. the 80 dollar model had caught my eye.. flipping pages when in bed is such a drag.. the tablet would be great to fall asleep by..

Status
Not open for further replies.