Tom’s Soapbox: Why This Early Adopter Is Still Waiting On VR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice that everyone gets to have an opinion...

The Rift is actually only $400 today and worth every penny. Plus you get a $50 store credit!

I have been gaming for close to 40 years and the enjoyment the Rift delivers is rarely rivaled by traditional games.

Had a neighbor who is not even a gamer try Robo Recall and within two weeks he’d bought a gaming rig and a Rift. That says a lot!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The biggest reason for waiting is that things are evolving very quickly. Why fork out money now when there is something better (higher resolution/no tether/better controlers/more accurate tracking/etc...) just around the corner.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I'll buy one when the new MechWarrior Mercs is released, if it supports VR at launch. Hopefully by then there will be second gen Win MR headsets, inside-out tracking is a big bonus and the prices are reasonable.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

For me, Windows MR almost seals the deal. Cheap, no base stations or cameras, low hardware requirements... if only it were wireless, you couldn't ask for more.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I want an 8K headset or bust. There's just too many reports of it being less than ideal without it. I'm financially capable of buying that at basically any sub $2000 price, and the associated GPU, whatever that may be. I just want the gear to be RIGHT. I'll spend my money, but it needs to be an appropriate gen2 headset.

Gen1 being the 90s stuff and gen2 being the "worth buying" 8K headsets.

t1022k

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
The Oculus Rift is $399, the Windows MR headsets regularly sell for $250 or less, and the PSVR bundle just dropped to $299 MSRP.
Please do at least the most basic research next time.

He said the Rift is "about $500", and with third/fourth sensor(s) plus extension cable(s), "about $500" is pretty accurate.

Adding in optional accessories without specifying is misleading (if not outright dishonest). And it still doesn't address the much cheaper options available. It's especially ridiculous to post this article right after Sony announced a price drop on the PSVR. But even ignoring that, there's a Windows MR headset on Amazon for $222 right now. That is not "about $500."

https://www.roadtovr.com/sony-playstation-vr-psvr-price-drop-sale-2018/

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Mixed-Reality-Headset-Controllers/dp/B077MF8TQ7

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I agree, but what is truly optional?
To me it's a bit misleading to just include the goggles when there's so much more required (like the powerful computer mentioned) to be able to use the goggles.
The ridiculus price hiking of graphics cards correlates in time to the (latest) introduction of VR, and is possibly a very contributing factor to its lack of users.

Personally I'm totally off when it comes to VR.
What does it really take to make full use of it in terms of hardware and space? (Putting on a pair of VR goggles while sitting at the desk doesn't seem like much fun...)

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I'll buy in when you don't look a total tool using it.

It will go away again in a year or so and resurface in another 10 like 3D does.

Yes the 3rd sensor it’s completely optional. Closing in on a year of enjoyment and never had a need for it.

You sit at your desk to play PC games already (in general) so wearing a headset is worse how? In Lone Echo I played both sitting and standing. A racing game you sit. Shooters and RPGs you stand. I’m able to do it all in 5x7 area. I could move it to the basement for more room but haven’t found a use case.

We’re always going to look goofy with a headset on.

I agree.

We saw it when the TV industry attempted to impose 3D on everyone where there really wasn't a market. Low sales volumes are going to drive the cost of each next-gen VR device until no one is buying them. The stuff they produce but can't sell will eventually get sold off at lower prices.

In general, people don't like to wear clunky stuff on their noggins and then on top of it be tethered by a wire connected to it.

I think AR would catch on sooner than VR for trade education and how-to types of applications.

I like the idea of VR, but I probably won't buy in until I can purchase my first holodeck.

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah, I want other people to invest in things before I do even though I want it. After all, developers know the reason no one buys a product they want is because they are waiting for the next version "just around the corner". I mean if I see a technology that I want and have been waiting for try to emerge my first thought is, "Why isn't this better? I should wait until they make it better!" It's not my fault if VR doesn't take off, if it fails it's obviously because the market didn't want it.

Sarcasm aside, yes I agree that any product must prove itself to a consumer but you can't call yourself a fan of VR and not see that this generation of VR has passed that important goal.

This isn't some garage Kickstarter that produces 10 headsets a week, this is a fast growing ever expanding platform with support and backing of the biggest names in gaming and entertainment out there.

As for the games, while there may not be huge $200 million dollar loot box money grabbing no story AAA games "yet" there are more and more smaller independent style games that pop up daily to give you a nice burst of creativity. Yes many are bad but there are quite a few gems that deserve our investment and praise.

We early adapters have a chance to do something that doesn't happen very often and arguably hasn't happened since the dawn of PC gaming. We have the chance to support a new platform experience that people are making unique products for that force us to play and think in new and exciting ways. We have a chance to shape the way of VR games for decades to come.

The reason your article made me emerge from my lurker status was because it hits on a problem I have seen with many VR critics and the bottom line is always the same, "Wait and see" "Wait and see" well if everyone stays on the sideline and keeps waiting there really will be nothing to see then all the sideline critics will have their day and point at the failed product once again, "See! We told you that would fail!"

This isn't another go at VR like the 80s or 90s that would mostly just duplicate the image projected on a regular monitor or be so big bulky and expensive you could only hope to rent time on a machine at an arcade. The software being developed is nothing like before and if you leave the home page of Vive or Oculus and check out the small free or $5 independent games kicking around on the back pages of Steam you will see the real future of VR and it's not AAA gaming like we know it, it's small teams of creative minds making a brand new form of entertainment. It's not books, it's not movies, it's not gaming...it's Virtual Reality and it's worth your investment.

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Until recently I would second the author opinion.
However here is what changed my mind.
Using a flight simulator you want to have at least 180 degree view.
You can accomplish this by using 3 screens, however a Titan XP is barely capable of running a 2x 1080p and one 4k screen (6k total).
A Windows MR HS can be bought as a refurb for $200.

The Titan XP is able to smoothly run with a Windows MR HS and you get view beyond just 180 degrees.

For me the killer app is XPlane 11.

Sure, it's not yet perfect. Resolution could be better and implementation could be better too. But it sure is realistic enough to make you motion sick.

mattneedname

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
I truly believe the stupidly high graphics card prices is what has lead to the decrease in hype for VR at present and given the hype is low no major company will be likely to spend big making AAA games specifically for the VR market. Until the graphics card and also the ram prices come back into line, a lot of people will hold off building new systems or build lower spec systems. Until people have systems capable of using the hardware then the hardware won't sell well.

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

Not sure I agree,
a.) Titan XP and 1080TI from Nvidia are still MSRP and become available on a regualr basis
b.) Even a Titan XP with current HS has video quality that leaves to be desired (screen door effect)

Hardware nets to get better, before more will get into VR.
VR developers need to realize most don't want to play games, where you move in space, it needs to be "Chair-Playable"

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Why do you care?

■ It won't go away.
    ■ The hype is dying down, but a lot of the companies are in it for the long haul.
    ■ It won't take 10 years to resurface. It's going to simmer in the background, with each new generation of hardware winning new converts. I give it < 5 years before you can no longer dismiss it as a fad/hype/etc.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

That you're even talking about a $1200 video card just reinforces @mattneedname's point. Even among VR enthusiasts, only a minority are wiling & able to spend that much on a video card.

Diji1

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
I'd argue that driving games are already the killer app. Not for everyone granted but if you like driving games it's pretty hard to go back to a non-VR experience.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Does he perform this... service... on a regular basis??

Status
Not open for further replies.