[SOLVED] Tomahawk B450 Max + AMD Ryzen 3700X = Intermittent boot success (Issue update #4)

Jun 19, 2020
Hi,

First time poster, long time lurker - thanks for all the great advice! This one I've been unable to crack based on other posts.

I am getting intermittent boot success with my build (after shutting down, there is a 50/50 chance it can be turned on again immediately, otherwise I get CPU, GPU and BOOT warning lights appear as this picture).

However, if I leave the PC for about an hour it normally boots up again without issues. Could it be temperature related?

I have been through this helpful checklist: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/

And read from this post that this may be a known issue (back in July 2019): https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intermittent-cpu-debug-led-on-b450-tomahawk-w-3700x.3498393/

Update: I found that my BIOS was an old version - so have been going through the steps to update to the latest no beta BIOS. However, when the PC reboots to go into flash, the error lights come on! Different error lights this time though: DRAM, VGA and BOOT. Now I have to leave it a while till I can re-attempt to update the BIOS.

Update 2: After leaving it for a while, I was able to boot into the flash and update the BIOS. After completing (at least, I saw it reach 100%) it powered down (I assume restarting) but hit into the DRAM, VGA and BOOT error lights again when it tried to boot up again. After leaving it for a while, I was able to post, but into a BSOD. I created a recovery USB on another laptop and was unable to progress with any of the options available. I was able to restart to the BIOS menu, where I was able to confirm that the BIOS updated (now version 04/22/2020), however, stuck again!

Update 3: Given the issues seem to be power related, I replace the C battery in the motherboard. I created a windows media tool and went through the steps to re-install windows, formatting my boot drive (backed up data elsewhere). One fresh windows install later, I have the latest (non-beta) BIOS version. Restarting works no issue, but after shutting down, we are back to DRAM, VGA and BOOT error lights. Have contacted MSI about this - will keep you updated!

I wondered if anyone had any advice as to what to try next? Thanks!

Build
Mobo: MSI Tomahawk B450 Max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Cooler: Wraith prism stock
GPU: XFX RX580 8GB
Ram: 2x 8GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz
PSU: Corsair 600W Semi-Modular

Last edited:
Solution
Let it be a Max or standard, one does not simply run a 3000 series on b450. Seriously, wow.
It seems to me a BIOS related issue. If you want to update the BIOS no matter what, i have an extreme advice : Update the BIOS without CPU. In youtube you can find a lot of videos about that.

Warmuro

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Let it be a Max or standard, one does not simply run a 3000 series on b450. Seriously, wow.
It seems to me a BIOS related issue. If you want to update the BIOS no matter what, i have an extreme advice : Update the BIOS without CPU. In youtube you can find a lot of videos about that.

Solution

Warmuro

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Your welcome. These 3000 series became a total mess because of the BIOS related issues. When you see 3000 series and a B450 with a BOOT issue, first thing comes to the mind is BIOS issue, it became the simple math unfortunately...
I have the non-Max B450 Tomahawk with Ryzen 5 2600, and that's why i'll never upgrade to a 3000 series cpu with this mobo. (even if 4000 series become a possibility, i'll never do)

The worst part is, sometimes a previous version of BIOS is more stable than the latest one, let alone BETA.

Reactions: danzig4

redfoot12

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
It's reasons like this that I'm glad I went with B550 for my Ryzen 3600 build. I'm sure there are plenty of cases where there are no issues whatsoever but I'm all for eliminating potential headaches.

Reactions: danzig4

TRENDING THREADS