[SOLVED] Tomahawk z490 confused on drive slots for m2 and sata

Spangles

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
I have a tomahawk z490 system which i built a few months back.

I have 2 samsung 970 evo plus nvme m.2 drives populating both m.2 slots on the board. The manual states that out of the 6 sata ports, number 5 and 6 will be disabled when 2 m.2 pcie drives are used.

I also had a 3tb hd and 2 1tb ssds which i then connected to sata slots 1,2 and 3.

This has all been working fine and i thought i could easily add another ssd into sata port 4. I just picked up another ssd, a 2tb samsung. When i connect it to sata port 4 my machine wont boot up. Disconnect and all working fine again.

I checked out the mb manual but am well confused. It seems to say that if the m.2 drives are sata then on top of sata 5 and 6 being disabled, sata 2 will also be disabled. This was my first pc build so i am a beginner in building. I just assumed that my 2 samsung nvme m.2 drives are pcie and that id have 4 sata ports left. Is there something im missing with this ?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Solution
Sorry for my comment. I was just joking too and thought they would take it in same spirit.

I am running a corsair 850w psu.

And yes, if i disconnect the new drive it all returns to operational. Reconnect and no boot.

I would have taken things in good spirit bud, no worries, I didn't see what you wrote but its pretty hard to offend me.

No ones gonna giggle at your expense, glad you and your hardware are safe. I can honestly say i dont think anyone see that coming, Im thankful you only lost a cable i can only imagine the relief you feel :p

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
ever thought of deleting stuff <Mod Edit>? lol you sound like a bit of a digital hoarder, thats problem is getting out of hand :D

im just playin btw take no offence

Last edited by a moderator:

Spangles

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Lets all play nice, OK?

If you disconnect this new drive in SATA port #4, does it boot up correctly?

What PSU is running this stuff?

Sorry for my comment. I was just joking too and thought they would take it in same spirit.

And yes, if i disconnect the new drive it all returns to operational. Reconnect and no boot.

Spangles

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Ok, so that was dramatic.

I left out the new drive completely and tested the sata 4 port by moving my cable on number 3 to 4.
So instead of occupying 1,2 and 3, my drives occupied 1,2 and 4.

This was fine and booted ok

Then i thought id just unplug the sata cable from one of my existing drives plug it into the new drive.
Still leaving a port free to test the new drive.

The sata cable went on fire. No joke. I had to rip it out while still on.

This might be pointing to the problem. The psu is modular and i had 6pin slots available on psu but no existing unused power cable.

So i grabbed a power cable from my old pc which uses an evga psu. I thought cabling between psus was interchangable but

Spangles

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Apologies... posted that by mistake unfinished.

Long and short of it is that I've just learnt an important lesson on psu cables not being interchangeable.

I used an evga psu cable to power the drive and it went on fire. groovy.

Got it out b4 damage was caused and found an alternative power cable for my corsair and all drives now working. Jeeeeeesus that was scary.

Spangles

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Yep, I've been a prize prat with that. I just assumed same standards with cables but there you go. You learn something new every day. Most of the time that experience comes without things going on fire but man does it cement the lesson.

Thanks for helping me out.

Also, if you want a giggle at my expense. Heres the damage.

Spangles

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Yep i totally realise im lucky to still have a pc never mind the drive. Bonus that its all working . 2 nvme and 4 drives. Dont quite know why it was the data cable that took the hit. I expected the drive to be stuffed but all good.

I may use a long format on that drive rather than the usual quicky. Just in case there is damage and its just not visible. It initialised and quick formatted just fine tho. Seems to work so far.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020

I would have taken things in good spirit bud, no worries, I didn't see what you wrote but its pretty hard to offend me.

No ones gonna giggle at your expense, glad you and your hardware are safe. I can honestly say i dont think anyone see that coming, Im thankful you only lost a cable i can only imagine the relief you feel :p

Solution