Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar vs. Zur's Weirding/Possessed Po..

Hello,
I think I know the answer for my question, but I'd like to cross-check it
anyway.

Suppose I control the Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar and there is a Zur's
Weirding or Possessed Portal in play. I'd argue that since all these have
conflicting replacement effects replacing my card draw and I'm the affected
player, then I get to choose which effect to apply and may always select one
of the top three with Tomorrow's effect.
Is that right?
Of course, Zur's Weirding possibly replaces the draw with ... the draw (if
nobody pays 2 life), so other draw replacing effects (if any) will apply to
THAT...
I also think I can still work with my library if I control Tomorrow even if
there is a Shared Fate on the table.

Regards,
Arkady.

Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar
5U
Legendary Creature - Spirit
1/5
If you would draw a card, look at the top three cards of your library
instead. Put one of those cards into your hand and the rest on the bottom of
your library in any order.

Possessed Portal
8
Artifact
If a player would draw a card, that player skips that draw instead.
At the end of each turn, each player sacrifices a permanent unless he or she
discards a card.

Zur's Weirding
3U
Enchantment
Players play with their hands revealed.
If a player would draw a card, he or she reveals it instead. Then any other
player may pay 2 life. If a player does, put that card into its owner's
graveyard. Otherwise, that player draws the card.

Shared Fate
4U
Enchantment
If a player would draw a card, that player removes the top card of an
opponent's library from the game face down instead.
Each player may look at and play cards he or she removed from the game with
Shared Fate as though they were in his or her hand.

Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Suppose I control the Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar and there is a Zur's
> Weirding or Possessed Portal in play. I'd argue that since all these have
> conflicting replacement effects replacing my card draw and I'm the affected
> player, then I get to choose which effect to apply and may always select one
> of the top three with Tomorrow's effect.
> Is that right?

That looks right.

> Of course, Zur's Weirding possibly replaces the draw with ... the draw (if
> nobody pays 2 life), so other draw replacing effects (if any) will apply to
> THAT...

That looks goofy. The phrasing of Zur's Weirding doesn't seem to
account for subsequent replacements.

> I also think I can still work with my library if I control Tomorrow even if
> there is a Shared Fate on the table.

Yes, if you choose Tomorrow's replacement effect, Shared Fate doesn't
enter into it.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I think I know the answer for my question, but I'd like to cross-check it
>anyway.

Fair enough.

>Suppose I control the Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar and there is a Zur's
>Weirding or Possessed Portal in play. I'd argue that since all these have
>conflicting replacement effects replacing my card draw and I'm the affected
>player, then I get to choose which effect to apply and may always select one
>of the top three with Tomorrow's effect.

If you have more than one replacement effect trying to replace a draw that
you will be taking, then yes, you decide which to apply. Has nothing to do
with who controls the sources of the replacement effects.

Note that of these three, Zur's Weirding replaces the draw with something that
may turn out to AGAIN involve a draw; if it ends up doing so, then one of the
other two does have to be applied (again, your choice if it's your draw). But
the other two replace the draw with not-a-draw, so once either of them is
applied neither of the other two are relevant any longer.

>Is that right?

Yes. You may choose Tomorrow's replacement effect as the one to "use first",
making the other two not apply afterwards.

>Of course, Zur's Weirding possibly replaces the draw with ... the draw (if
>nobody pays 2 life), so other draw replacing effects (if any) will apply to
>THAT...

Right, exactly.

>I also think I can still work with my library if I control Tomorrow even if
>there is a Shared Fate on the table.

Yes; that's a fourth draw-replacement effect. If you have Shared Fate and
another effect that would replace your draws, you get to pick which one to
use for each draw.

Note that of these four, three apply to all players, and Tomorrow only applies
to your draws, so Tomorrow-plus-one-or-more-of-these is a Good Combo. But if
two or more of the others are out, each player affected decides for themselves
the order, so just Shared-Fate-plus-Zur's-Weirding doesn't give you more
control over opponent's draws than they have over yours, or anything.

Dave

Daniel W. Johnson <panoptes@iquest.net> wrote:
>Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Of course, Zur's Weirding possibly replaces the draw with ... the draw (if
>> nobody pays 2 life), so other draw replacing effects (if any) will apply to
>> THAT...
>
>That looks goofy. The phrasing of Zur's Weirding doesn't seem to
>account for subsequent replacements.

But it is how it works. ZW can't apply again, 'cuz the rules say so - but if
there's at least one other draw-replacement effect around, it still gets to
apply if the replaced event ends up including a draw. Much like damage from
Words of War can itself be affected by prevention or redirection shields...

Dave

David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

> But it is how it works.

I said "goofy", not "wrong". Of course, if they rephrased it to look
sensible when some other draw-replacement effect is applied, it would
look even goofier by itself.