Tomorrow I was gonna buy a 2600x and today Intel announces new CPUs...

Solution
Gaming Only= i5-9600K
Gaming & Streaming= Ryzen 2600(X)

Whichever you get make sure to pair it with the appropriate motherboard for overclocking (Z370/Z390 for Intel and B450/X470 for AMD).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
wait for the 9600k. then since amd will announce their next/lastest/greatest by then, you should then wait for that one. then intel will have announced their next one so wait for that........rinse and repeat..........

it's never worth waiting unless the release is days away. otherwise you'll never buy anything. get what you need now and enjoy it. there will always be something better coming down the pipeline but that's just the nature of the business.

geri22geri

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

i5 9600k is coming in 11 days...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i5 has a slight gaming advantage right now so the new one should extend that a little bit. probably a 6 core cpu as well.

i know it'll be expensive as will the motherboards to overclock, and cooling needs since it won't come with a cooler. so take that into consideration.

personally i'll give up that bit of performance for the much cheaper 2600x platform but that's just my 2 cents :)

WildCard999

Titan
Either is a solid choice for now but I do remember reading that AMD is using the AM4 socket until 2020 so for the long run the AMD may be the better choice.

If you do go for the AMD get the 2600 non X version and pair it up with a good aftermarket cooler. Not only will the aftermarket cooler be as effective as the Wraith but it should be much quieter. Also going with route instead of the 2600X may save you a little bit of money as well.

Oct 7, 2018
if you don't mind waiting a bit I'd wait until Black Friday/next month, there may be some sweet deals, and by then you'll see how the pricing and performance develops.

then again even if 9600 was available today for MSRP, I'd go with 2600 and spend on gpu, graphics card will have much more impact on gaming

WildCard999

Titan

I highly doubt 2nd Gen Ryzen or 9th Gen Intel will have any sales, maybe some retailers trying to get rid of the older stuff. Some places like Microcenter will save you like $10-20 with bundles but that's about it.