Tom's email updates

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
My Email is being filled with messages/update notifications, though in toms settings i have this disabled . How do i stop this

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area

Admin? Mods?

manage my profile > account settings

preferred contact method: private message
Notify me of updates by default unchecked
Send me an e-mail when a member sends me a private message unchecked
Receive an e-mail when I am granted a badge unchecked
Receive a weekly email digest (Tom's Hardware) unchecked
Receive a weekly email digest (Tom's Guide) unchecked
save changes

underneath you will see my newsletter subscriptions

toms hard news not interested
community announcement not interested
toms hardware special report not interested
submit

likely you disabled one part but not the others. (probably set pm as default but forgot to turn off new pm notification?)

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

This is exactly what those settings are set to^,Every one of them, I checked it many times, saved. But it still Emails
Please this is making my normal important emails hard to find, as i get pages full of updates from toms. I even set all to email, saved and then unchecked all, saved, hoping this might help to reset it.
I know if i unsubscribe from toms totally, this may stop it, but i enjoy being helpful and i don't want to lose my progress

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Hey there! Sorry about this inconvenience. If your settings are set in that manner and you are still getting email notifications, then it's probably an issue on our end. I'll have our devs look into it; please feel free to shoot me a PM reminder if I don't get back to you on this in a day or so.

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

That would be great, thankyou

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Just wanted to drop by and give you an update.

Unfortunately, I don't have great news. We've confirmed that this is a bug on our end; if your notification settings are set to the previously mentioned way, you will get all of the email notifications. We're not sure how long this has been the case (it's the first I'm hearing of it), so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We don't have an ETA on a fix as we're still trying to discover what's causing this. In the interim, the only advice I can give is to tweak your notification settings to allow some email notifications. Getting a few is better than getting them all. We're sorry about this annoyance but we'll try to get it sorted out as soon as we can. Hang tight!

not quite... i'll throw this wrench into the gears...

i can confirm that my own settings are exactly as above (in fact i specifically copied them from my own profile to list here).

i receive zero emails from tomshardware. everything comes through via pm.

now, i have had these settings in place for a good long time so it could be that any "recent" efforts to change them may do as you say but i just wanted to let you know that i'm using the same settings with no problems here on my end :)

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Cheers
When i first joined, i had these settings all no email and i didn't get any, then i noticed it just started to email everything without changing the settings whatsoever

One strange thing though, in these account settings, under contact mode, everything has a red triangle with an exclamation mark next to it, you click edt and it says private message and all unchecked, so why the Exclamation marks i wonder.