Tom's Guide: Restore the Windows 7 Interface in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I don't know, for some reason I don't quite think that third-party apps are truly "restoring" the W7 interface. I know it's just psychological, but I have this mental image of using air freshener after taking a dump - the smell's still there, it's just being masked...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]: No it's not.: Modern UI: What? Moves the start menu into a full interface that looks like WMC?Was this article written last year?[/citation]

All I hear is waaah waaah waaah. Cry harder, Microfan.

cocogorilla

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I basically have to agree with damianrobertjones. What is the difference between the modern ui tiles and the 10 or so recently used application icons in the start menu? Start-menu even had an "all applications" just like modern UI.

Try using your imagination and pretending that modern UI is actually still called "start menu". You should realize, "oh wow, this is a much fuller featured start menu than ever before," instead of lamenting the disappearance of the bottom left window icon. Difference is, it defaults open instead of closed. It even responds to the windows key.

That's the irony of this article. It is basically how to turn OFF the start menu and load the old icon organizer. People, leave the funeral already... modern UI isn't going anywhere.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]cocogorilla[/nom]What is the difference between the modern ui tiles and the 10 or so recently used application icons in the start menu?[/citation]

Fullscreen? Shitty use of screen realestate? The entirely new and incompatible software ecosystem that Microsoft wants to replace the existing Windows ecosystem with, so they can get 30% on apps sales and push a few more of their mobile devices?

Windows 8 adoption rate is lower than that of Vista, the Surface line is a Zune-grade flop, and Windows Phones are back below 3%. Shouldn't Microfans be past the denial stage by now?

G

CocoGorilla,
Just because you are ok with the "modern UI", doesn't mean everyone else is. Feel free to use the new UI all you want, but don’t chastise others if they want to use an application that allows them boot directly to the desktop along with the familiar 'start' button.
That's fine if you or Microsoft want people to try it out before making a decision, but I don't agree with taking that decision away nor trying to make others feel bad because they don't agree with you. I can see where the "modern UI" could be a benefit for content consumption, but not for content creation. There are many users who multitask between applications throughout the day that find the new UI to be drain on productivity.
Also, unless you work for Microsoft you have no idea what their future plans are. If enough customers complain or purchase tools like START8, they may very well return the option of booting to the desktop and/or a start menu. Or maybe they will better integrate the features of both the Win7 UI and the "modern UI", offering an improved experience. If they don't, then other developers will be more than happy to offer alternatives like the very applications referenced by this article.

Have a great day!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I already installed some freeware to give me a Start Menu but it now gives me additional features I didn't have on Windows 7 either, similar to functions you get when using 3rd party explorer programs like Explorer++ or Xplorer2
Every OS has it's vanilla install which is annoying and has 3rd party programs to enhance it, Windows 7 is no exception, too many people are putting Windows 7 in an ivory tower and saying it is perfect - OK it is good and has lots of backend functionality but is it perfect? Far from it
Roll forward to Windows 8 and the vanilla install isn't perfect either and a lot of doubters say "why should I install any 3rd party programs to make it better, MS should have done it for me" - no, they really shouldn't, it has been a part of Windows all the way back to year dot to customise with 3rd party software - the world is full of alternate notepads, calculators, file managers, browsers, compression, security and MILLIONS of other programs, most of which are free and this is a good thing
Microsoft has provided an OS that at it's core is more secure and more functional, if the UI is not to your taste then do what every other Windows user has done for the last 2 decades and download something to make it suit you

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Sorry but when I read the title "Restore the Windows 7 Interface in Windows 8" my first thought was ... or I could just stick with Windows 7 :)

I almost upgraded, but Win 8 just seems like trash unless you have a touchscreen.

G

If you spend your time on Tom's Hardware you probably have some interest in computers and operating systems. Metro is just a big start button, configure It the way you want. Don't like something, remove it. Want a power button, make one. Windows 8 is better then Windows 7, even for desktops.

Really I'm surprised everyone puts up with all the whining. Learning the new isn't that hard.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Fullscreen? Shitty use of screen realestate? The entirely new and incompatible software ecosystem that Microsoft wants to replace the existing Windows ecosystem with, so they can get 30% on apps sales and push a few more of their mobile devices?Windows 8 adoption rate is lower than that of Vista, the Surface line is a Zune-grade flop, and Windows Phones are back below 3%. Shouldn't Microfans be past the denial stage by now?[/citation]

Zune was almost absolutely awesome. Please don't group it with Windows 8.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nivek999[/nom]If you spend your time on Tom's Hardware you probably have some interest in computers and operating systems. Metro is just a big start button, configure It the way you want. Don't like something, remove it. Want a power button, make one. Windows 8 is better then Windows 7, even for desktops. Really I'm surprised everyone puts up with all the whining. Learning the new isn't that hard.[/citation]

One of the issue I have with the new Start Screen is that the new 'tiles' are so BIG, that it covers most of the screen. So now I could not see my beautiful background image upon boot. And I doubt the tiles can shrink to the size of the old start menu icons.

Without those 3rd party customization tool, I'm stuck with those big annoying tiles.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Why on earth would you want the old interface? Once you learn the new one, even with a mouse and keyboard it's every bit as user friendly as Windows 7. And on top of that it works rather nicely with my Surface also.

True, maybe not for everyone, but if people would just actually learn the new interface instead of complain about it, I think they'd see it, even if they don't entirely agree.

[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]I don't know, for some reason I don't quite think that third-party apps are truly "restoring" the W7 interface. I know it's just psychological, but I have this mental image of using air freshener after taking a dump - the smell's still there, it's just being masked...[/citation]

This is just stupid. Windows 8's only serious issue is its UI (even that is debatable when you actually give it a fair shot). Changing the UI to your needs is not anything like using air freshener after taking a dump. It's more like flushing the toilet, scrubbing it if necessary, and washing your hands if we were to continue on the lines of your analogy.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Windows 8's only serious issue is its UI[/citation]
No, it has other issues too.

The biggest issue for me is it keeps connecting to Microsoft's servers without user permission to download massive quantities of data, and yes, I have turned off auto-updates etc.

I will most likely be using Win8 as my next OS despite this. I'll just use a decent firewall to block it from accessing Microsoft's servers unless it has my say-so.

[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]No, it has other issues too.The biggest issue for me is it keeps connecting to Microsoft's servers without user permission to download massive quantities of data, and yes, I have turned off auto-updates etc.I will most likely be using Win8 as my next OS despite this. I'll just use a decent firewall to block it from accessing Microsoft's servers unless it has my say-so.[/citation]

Huh. I never noticed that on my network, but that might just be my firewalls in action.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I still believe it was probably well within Microsoft's means as a capable software house to give people a choice. People love their right to choose. I think MS missed out on some brownie points with it's clientèle.

I am yet to decide whether I am a convert.

[citation][nom]The_Trutherizer[/nom]I still believe it was probably well within Microsoft's means as a capable software house to give people a choice. People love their right to choose. I think MS missed out on some brownie points with it's clientèle.I am yet to decide whether I am a convert.[/citation]

I agree in that MS could have both done a far better job on *Metro* (they can say it's not called that anymore all they want, but the name is stuck for all I care since their replacement is worse) and/or at least made it more manageable without third party programs. I just don't like people complaining about it as if there's nothing that can be done and that Windows 8 is ultimately junk just because of easily fixed UI issues. 8 has it's advantages and a lot of people seem intent on glossing them over or outright ignoring them.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Lan[/nom]Why on earth would you want the old interface? Once you learn the new one, even with a mouse and keyboard it's every bit as user friendly as Windows 7. And on top of that it works rather nicely with my Surface also.True, maybe not for everyone, but if people would just actually learn the new interface instead of complain about it, I think they'd see it, even if they don't entirely agree.[/citation]

True, the use of short cuts help greatly as well, especially WIN + X, WIN + E, WIN + R. But many in the corp world hate change and even complain when new version of Office is released...lol.

matt911

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
The four greatest user interface inventions for the desktop PC are the keyboard, the mouse, windowed applications, and the start menu. Microsoft tries to remove three of the four with Windows 8. I don't understand it. Its good that there are other developers who have not lost their minds that still support all four.

[citation][nom]matt911[/nom]The four greatest user interface inventions for the desktop PC are the keyboard, the mouse, windowed applications, and the start menu. Microsoft tries to remove three of the four with Windows 8. I don't understand it. Its good that there are other developers who have not lost their minds that still support all four.[/citation]

Other than the start menu, Windows 8 works just fine with those without any third party apps and such and with free third party apps, you can get a start menu back in a few minutes. Heck, the start menu's functionality is all there, given it's not all in the same place, and some of it has even been improved on. Metro apps definitely don't seem practical to me and how MS handled Metro regardless of the apps leaves a lot to be desired, but I still find most complaints to be exaggerations at best from where I stand.

Whether or not MS intended to get rid of (excluding the obvious start menu) the others of those four is something else. What they intend to do and will do are potentially problematic, especially if they go deeper into this without making huge improvements in the entirety of the concepts that they're working on. That can worry me.

However, Windows 8, as it is, seems to be way underrated in many ways. A lot of people just seem to over-exaggerate complaints greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.