Tom's Hardware Approved CPU Cooler Zalman LQ320 on Sale Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guys.... come on. avoiding flagrant conflicts of interest is an essential ingredient to unbiased reporting... and here you're not even trying to mask it.

G

Thats after a $35 mail in rebate. Probably should mention that part in the story.

G

[citation][nom]sieiw[/nom]guys.... come on. avoiding flagrant conflicts of interest is an essential ingredient to unbiased reporting... and here you're not even trying to mask it.[/citation]

Newegg informed them.....not zalman. Did you even read the story?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sieiw[/nom]guys.... come on. avoiding flagrant conflicts of interest is an essential ingredient to unbiased reporting... and here you're not even trying to mask it.[/citation]

A little bit of background:

Newegg is looking to offer "deals" on certain products, in much the same way as some of your favorite deals sites do. We want to make sure that any deal that gets promotion on Tom's is something we'd actually recommend you buy. So, we're sticking to award-winning products.

In the case of the cooler story that went live earlier this week, Zalman and Corsair coolers won Approved awards. Newegg was able to make a deal happen on the Zalman, but it wasn't able to on the H100i. We could have brought you a special deal on the H50, but since that wasn't one of the award winners, we passed on it.

Hopefully that helps explain how we're going to be doing these in a little more detail, a little more transparently.

TL;DR: We want to inform you of special deals from Newegg; we want to specifically shine light on products that have already received editorial recognition.

Chris

Just wish they would do away with the stupid MIRs -- you have to pay $95 to get the thing and then wait 8-10 weeks to hopefully get $35 back if they don't somehow find a way to lose or say you didn't fill some portion out correctly !!! I'd much rather go with The Corsair Refurbished H60 for $54 and not have to worry about whether the $35 ever comes back !!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Correction for article: The product cost $95 and comes with a form where you have a chance at winning $35.

Toms hardware, learn that when listing a price, you need to list the initial out of pocket cost you can then mention any other promotion.

PS, a while Bach when the radon HD3850 came out a few years ago, it's single slot design got way too hot, so I purchased a Zalman heatsink for it. It worked well and had a $10 rebate. I am still waiting for them to send me the $10 and if they cant, at least refund me the cost of the stamp used to mail the rebate in

abbadon_34

Distinguished
re MIR: Often auto rejected it unless you appeal. Last one said I didn't send in paperwork, yet it was scanned and viewable on their website. I pointed that out, and then it approved.

Same purchase, Tiger Direct had "free" anti-virus with auto-renewing subscription that could not be removed before purchase, and had to be cancelled after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.