Tom's Hardware Approved Newegg Special Sale Feb. 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrophe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I think you mean 7870 xt which might explain why the article has vanished.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]7930?[/citation]

They mean the Powercolor 7870 PCS+ Myst Edition. Since it's Tahiti LE it's technically a 7950 with more of the GPU disabled, hence the "7930" which is what it really is; the only thing it has in common with the 7870 is the GCN architecture.

[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]They mean the Powercolor 7870 PCS+ Myst Edition. Since it's Tahiti LE it's technically a 7950 with more of the GPU disabled, hence the "7930" which is what it really is; the only thing it has in common with the 7870 is the GCN architecture.[/citation]

No, the 7870 XT also has two of the six 64 bit memory controllers disabled, making it perform more like an overclocked 7870 than like a 7950. It is using a cut-down Tahiti with poor binning, but its cut-down memory interface hurts it when it comes to overclocking and otherwise memory-bound situations.

Still, I agree that the 7930 is a more fitting name. It has the same GPU (albeit with a few more features cut-out) and it does CF with the 79xx series, not the 78xx series, so I can't think of a good reason to call it a 7870 XT, especially since the 7870's GPU has the XT suffix (Pitcairn XT)... It wouldn't be the first time that AMD had an x930 card (IE just last generation had the Radeon 6930, granted it wasn't really available in the USA).

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]KelvinTy[/nom]Props for the NewEgg marketing team! and of coz, TomsHardware's editors![Too bad I don't live in the US... LoLz][/citation]
Thanks! We're actually hoping to expand future deals like this to Newegg.ca... it would be nice to give these perks to my fellow Canadians. :)

kyankov

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
I owned this mouse for some time but it had one huge flaw - awful cord which results in mouse malfunctioning after first 6 months and totally stopped working after year and a half. You should have some knowledge soldering.

G

I had the Logitech G9 (previous version)- the cord kinked fairly badly with the nylon sleeve ripping and the mouse ending up intermittently functional after a year and a half (of course, in that time, I regularly took it with me to work, and even took it with me to Uganda for 6 months). Thankfully, the warranty for Logitech mice is quite good, and they sent me the G9x as a replacement (since they no longer had the G9). The cord on this one refuses to straighten out as well, so I'm a little worried about the same issue cropping up. But so far, 2 years with this one and it hasn't crapped out yet.

Quiggley98

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Any clue on when we will get another chance to pick up the video card? I had intended to pick one up anyhow, and this works out great!

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]No, the 7870 XT also has two of the six 64 bit memory controllers disabled, making it perform more like an overclocked 7870 than like a 7950. It is using a cut-down Tahiti with poor binning, but its cut-down memory interface hurts it when it comes to overclocking and otherwise memory-bound situations.Still, I agree that the 7930 is a more fitting name. It has the same GPU (albeit with a few more features cut-out) and it does CF with the 79xx series, not the 78xx series, so I can't think of a good reason to call it a 7870 XT, especially since the 7870's GPU has the XT suffix (Pitcairn XT)... It wouldn't be the first time that AMD had an x930 card (IE just last generation had the Radeon 6930, granted it wasn't really available in the USA).[/citation]
It is a further cut down 7950, seriously, go read the article if you're trying to dispute me on this and FYI, the memory interface is part of the GPU. You basically stated in slightly greater (and in places, inaccurate) detail what I already said.

As for overclocking, WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? From the Tom's Hardware article:
We pushed the card's core clock all the way up to 1.2 GHz without touching its voltage. Setting PowerTune to +20% is all that it took to achieve a stable overclock.
That's a 225MHz overclock from the stock boost setting, not a small overclock by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.