Tom's Hardware Best of CES Awards 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i would love to see the SR-X with 1366 support please....Xeon CPUs aren't very fordable[/citation]

First off, the SR-2 was a 1366 product, so there's already a dual-1366 board out there if you really want one. Second, there's no way something like this would be made for two-generations-old hardware; didn't Intel officially end production of most 1366/1156 chips a few months ago? Third, even the SR-2 only supported Xeons since Intel only enables multi-CPU support on higher-end Xeons, so there's nothing EVGA can do to let you run a multi-i7 setup.

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i would love to see the SR-X with 1366 support please....Xeon CPUs aren't very fordable[/citation]
You do realize that in order to have a 2P board you MUST use a Xeon, right? The i7s and some of the Xeons can't do 2P due to limitations both at the die level and at the chipset level.

Nemo11

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I think he means that Xeon CPUs aren't very good at crossing rivers.

G

In response to SSD tech getting cheaper: they are continuing to push the envelope, and achieve greater throughput and IOPS in devices that it gives them more reason to not drop prices by much. In their eyes: 'why drop the price when we are making these drives so much faster and better? that should attract a premium'

A premium that should go away :D

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]fordable hurts the ears. That's fordable! *shivers*[/citation]
I can understand getting your feet and ankles wet, maybe your knees and thighs, but if it reaches your ears, that can hardly be called fordable. You need a boat or a bridge then...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tanny tart face[/nom]In response to SSD tech getting cheaper: they are continuing to push the envelope, and achieve greater throughput and IOPS in devices that it gives them more reason to not drop prices by much. In their eyes: 'why drop the price when we are making these drives so much faster and better? that should attract a premium'A premium that should go away[/citation]
NO NO NO NO NO

why do people still not get this
ssds are silicon based products
silicon as a base costs 50k per waffer
1 waffer gets about 21 tb of space at i believe 25nm process

this is math done on non rebate and priced to move, brand new ssds, if someone can get me the die size of a ssd chip, how many gb it holds, and what nm its made at, i can tell you how much an ssd costs.

we dont pay more for faster speeds, we pay more because they simply cant come down in price because of the base cost.

----------------------

with that motherboard, didnt amd kill off the "multi cpu tax" a while back? meaning charging so much more for a 2 or 4 cpu setup than it needs to? lets hope piledriver meats intel half way between the phenom II and the current i7 in single core performance, and retains its fairly good multi core, that way a dual piledriver may become a better investment than a dual intel.

------------------------------------

that said, i love that case, wish i knew more about it though.

G

Hey Toms Hardware, I'm commenting on an OLLLDDD story, but the Silverstone FT03-Mini, is widely available now, along with the Z-77 based ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE motherboard (which I don't think anyone saw coming back in January). I'd love to see an article starting with those two components, add in a 680 based card, and a i7 (either ivy or sandy bridge) processor to build an absolutely killer SFF machine.

Do it, you know you want to!

Status
Not open for further replies.