Tom's Hardware: Best Of Computex 2014 Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
Sponsored links are really boring. Tom's Hardware abusing these crappy links.
They cut images now. Soon these (*#&*$ sponsored links will hold 2/3 of pages?

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
After two decades of browsing without ad blockers, it was those over-the-image ads that finally got me to install one.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I am now seriously ticked off about these recently introduced, over-the-image ads.

It was bad when you had to click the TINY cross to see the whole picture in a normal article. Now, the TINY cross is on the active area for the frame advance of this picture article so you cannot get rid of the advert to see the relevant parts of the image which it blocks. This quite apart from the fact that in most instances the advert which purports to be 'related topics' is actually derived from tracking cookies related to websites that I have visited that are unrelated to the picture the advert covers.

An example from yesterday: since when does a 5-pin circular DIN panel mount socket that I viewed on uk-rsonline.com last week have anything to do with this month's best graphics card, eh?

Get rid of these horrible intrusions now. As a semi-professional tech enthusiast if I want a product I will search for it when I want it. I will not respond to a pathetic attempt to re-introduce me to a product I already purchased and have no further need to acquire. The only thing you achieve with this stupid advert format is to show yourselves (I refer here to the marketing division of BestOfMedia not the journalists) to be the worst kind of money-grabbing spiv salesmen.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

Which adblocker are you using as mine currently doesn't trap this type.

G

Regarding the "Best Compact Gaming Notebook: Aorus X3 Plus": The laptop comes with an 870M (think an overclocked 760), with a 3200x1800 res screen... and it was awarded best in show, instead of being reprimanded for an absurdly impractical design. What (3D) game from the current decade are you going to play on this that wont look like a freakin' slideshow.

I'll ask my fellow forumites, what would you say to a person who asked for an opinion for a gaming build with a mid range GPU and even a QHD screen, let alone something approaching 4K. I personally would say, "dude save money on the screen, get a good 1080p IPS monitor, and spend the money on a better GPU". For shame Tom's, thanks to you a bunch of noobs are going to end up wasting their money on a very impractical device.

Smith2k

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Bring on moar ads pls.
My practice so far was "click on the MAIN banner add after reading each article". But over the image ads + bottom pop up add on mobile version of the site, I'm not really sure this is the place to get hardware info anymore.
Also please fix your mobile website, it looks like russian ww2 propaganda leaflet compared to clean look of Anandtech (mobile).

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the blue over-the-image ads take this website over the line into trash website territory. Would anyone find another reputable tech site that has as much real estate dedicated to ads as tom's does right now.

Tomshardware is on my list of daily reads, has been for about a year and a half now. The ads are simply too much now, to the point of being a total turn-off. Seriously going elsewhere if it's not toned down some.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

I would have no problem with the same advert being BELOW the picture. This complaint is about an advert that actually breaks the functionality of the website.

To paraphrase: ' Tom's, do whatever it takes to fix the website'

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

If Tom's drives away it's users with ads that actually interfere with the ability to read an article, then users will go away, and Tom's will not be able to pay for the site.

I believe that Tom's viewership is on the downslope, and Tom's is "harvesting" revenues by driving up ad space.

justchuck69

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Are you guys crazy .... What ads i see none and have not for the last 3 or so years since coming to tom's ! ! !

FireFox 30 with AdBlock Plus !

Status
Not open for further replies.