Toms Hardware Folding@home team 40051 guide (March 2020 Update)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I just joined! I lost a nephew to brain cancer when he was 4 and a half months old. I hope to help out with any process that can greatly benefit the medical community to fight diseases. Period.

Welcome to the Fold! :hello:

Be sure to check out the main discussion thread, news, and any question you might have that need answered! (that isn't covered in this guide) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1580785/folding-home-thgc-team-40051/page-182.html#11507889

:bounce:

_________________________________________________________________________________

Also for everyone else, I'll be working on getting this guide updated this week. Finally have the time to sit down and get this done. :)

thank you for all your hard work
your doing a great job

I have very limited bandwidth and limited amount of max upload and download permitted by my network each month. At the same time I have an i7-3770k and I don't push it all the time so I was thinking about doing this.
My question is how much network resources such as max upload and download is common for this program?

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I've been busy with some stuff yesterday and could not reply back.

Anyways, To answer you question, while each WU will vary in size, none are above 100 MB (most range some where between 20 to 50 MB.)

So i'll depend on how fast you cpu or gpu (if you want to use the gpu as well) can complete these WU's.

If you do a WU a day for example and each WU is roughly 50MB (most are not but can be), times 30 days, that should be 1.5GB of bandwidth use up for the month (If my math is right.)

Now there are a number of ways you could reduce the amount of bandwidth used.

You could limit the size of WU's and limit the number of WU's per session (say you only want to run 5 wu's at a time instead of the program constantly running.) as mentioned under "4.2 Flags"

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34683-12-toms-hardware-folding-home-team-guide-testing#1147115

And depending on your "power slider" settings, this will limit how much computing power F@H will use.

Running on full will utilize the entire cpu all the time.

Running on idle though will only allow F@H to run when your not using your computer (still using the full power of the cpu).

*Thanks to your post, I relize I still haven't finished the Power Slider part in the guide. I'll try to get this done in the next few days.

Sorry about not having this info for you*

These are just a few ways to limit how much you give.

If you have anymore question feel free to ask on the main F@H here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1580785/folding-home-thgc-team-40051.html

And if you join, then welcome to the team! :D

Sounds not so bad. I forget the total that we are limited to, but I know Dad tries to keep us around 10GB/day so 50MB won't be anything. I will go and set up the program this weekend when I am free from term papers. :)

Thanks for the answers to my question.

Glad to be of service. :)

pimpanther

Distinguished
May 14, 2014

just moved to yout team 6 hours addo after 2 million 299k for team 32 [238 wu].any badges for folding for toy guys?

D

Deleted member 217926

Hey fellow mods why isn't this a sticky? It just popped up in the Forum Feedback section because of an edit.

Well i'm no mod but i can give a few reason why.

1st guess is that the F@H discussion thread (both old and the current links to this guide) and that thread is already a sticky) that no one bothered.

2nd When I was originally task with making the guide, i made it in the "test" sub section on the old forum before the current forum existed and was move to it's current location. (This guide was experimental when I was tasked with it).

So a combination of the 2 is probably why it never happened. ;)

Current discussion thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3229962/tom-hardware-team-thread.html

I have stuck it but that could be overruled.

A five year old thread stll on its first page has a certain right to be made to stand out, especially when it supports a cause like Folding.

D

Deleted member 217926

It shouldn't be stuck in Forum Feedback though. CPUs probably? It would fit in several places.

Seems like I remember some talk about a dedicated subsection. I don't remember how recently that was though.

We could pop a PM in MouseMonkey's direction, anort3. Folding is a subject very close to his heart.

Right now, the pedantic old Englishman in me is more concerned about the lower case "h" in Hardware in this thread's title.

5 years and your the first to point it out. :lol:

Well it's fixed now!

Many thanks. I can sleep peacefully tonight. :D

@MM - I'm not sure but the lack of visitors here indicates it isn't.

Welcome! :hello:

If you just started folding, you need to complete one Work Unit before you can search for your name. Once you complete a WU (work unit) and it uploaded, it will take a small amount of time before you'll see it on the stat sites.

F@H stat page updates every hour and EOC (extreme overclocking) updates every 3 hours (3pm, 6pm, ect, Central Time).

I"ve should of made note about it in the guide as I see i failed to mention about it. (Guessing you were making a stat sig and got stuck at that point? ).

postal_game

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Yes, you're right. But anyway, thanks a lot for the detail explanation! :D

Last edited: