Tom's Hardware Gaming Community Screenshot Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Greetings, brethren! For those who don't know me, my name is Kevin and I'm the Assistant Community Manager here at Tom's.

First things first: [strike]this is not an official contest. This is a contest run by me, under my rules, because I can. I am the judge and jury, and you are subject to my whim! :sarcastic:[/strike] It's now an official contest, but it's still my rules, bwahahaha!

In all seriousness, this is just a little side project I whipped up to entertain myself and hopefully all of you wonderful community members. It's not sponsored by anybody, so don't expect very fancy prizes. Now, on to the rules!

Rule, the First
Users may submit two (2) screenshots per week (preferably in a single post).

• ■ It does not matter what game or genre you play; show me your character/avatar looking as awesome as possible in your favorite game!
    ■ Platform does not matter, although the nature of a screenshot contest naturally gives PC gamers the edge over most console gamers. If you're a PC gamer who uses Steam, be sure to check out the Official Tom's Hardware Steam group!

Rule, the Second
It has to be an actual screenshot, showing the player character/avatar/whatever you're controlling, taken by you!

• NO REPEATS. Be original, don't just keep submitting the same one, hoping it will win!
    ■ All submissions will be verified by running an image search on Google, just to weed out anybody who tries to take a shortcut by stealing somebody else's.
    ■ Don't take a picture of the screen with your phone or camera. I don't want to look at that potato quality! :lol:
    ■ Conversely, don't Photoshop it to death, either!

Rule, the Third
It can't violate any forum rules.

• ■ Keep it PG-13. Scantily-clad females are okay (within limits) because that's bound to happen. Use your common sense though, we are a family-friendly site. I reserve the right to remove inappropriate submissions without warning.
    ■ If there's profanity in there (your name, in the chat box, etc), do me a favor and remove it. Cover it with a black bar. As long as I can't see it, I don't care.
    ■ Violence and gore will be permitted to a degree. Kindly put a warning in your post if it's going to include that, and don't attach a thumbnail. Either leave it in a spoiler or as a text link.

Rule, the Fourth
Winners will be picked by me whenever I darn well please, in a manner of my choosing. I may even choose more than one!

• ■ There is no time limit! This is a long-running, on-going contest with no set dates.
    ■ Once a winning screenshot has been chosen, all submissions preceding it are ineligible to win. Think of it as a brand new round starting each time somebody wins, with the board wiped clean.
    ■ You can win more than once, but you'd better impress me!

Rule, the Fifth
Winners will be eligible to select one of three prizes!

1) Physical/digital merchandise while supplies last.

• ■ There are some extra knickknacks around the office that I could give away, like these sweet case badges. Or maybe you can convince me to part with some of these extra Tom's Hardware polos I have sitting around ;)
    ■ Up to $20 worth of Steam games of your choosing (limited supply) to be delivered digitally via Steam gifts

2) A temporary generic title: Most Awesome Character

• ■ I know, it's not very awesome or original. I did say this was a generic title.
    ■ This title will remain in effect until the next champion is crowned (whenever that is), at which point it will be passed on or removed—unless you win consecutively!

3) A temporary unique title of your choosing!

• ■ Standard forum rules apply, so it can't be anything obscene.
    ■ You will retain this title for two (2) weeks. It's too easy if you get to keep it for too long :p

And now to kick things off, here's my Charr warrior sporting some fancy new threads!

sFmboRf.jpg

TOCtDuY.jpg

I don't get it.

1) Should be a screenshot of a character that is 'customizable' in the game?
2) Can't be a screenshot of a scenery?
3) Can't be obscene. How about a semi-nude character with no weird poses?

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

I thought I was pretty clear on the rules, but I'll bite. Will spruce up the wording later as well, so there's less confusion.

1) It doesn't matter. Read Rule, the First.
2) Well, yeah. I expressly mention the character multiple times, and the generic title is Most Awesome Character. One would expect to see a little more than scenery, although good scenery can often make things more interesting!
3) Video game females are often scantily-clad. Acceptable within boundaries, use your common sense. Sexy and awesome are not the same things—and I'm looking for awesome characters, hopefully doing awesome things.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Clickbait is definitely not my strong suit; SEO leaves me at a complete loss heh. I'm just a lowly community dude trying to give away some free stuff.

More on topic: sweet Limbo shot! Very existential. Such a unique, fun game!

@Titillating : You might want to post on the 'what's your favorite video game you've been playing' Sticky thread. That thread has a lot of our community members following. They probably haven't seen this thread yet.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
david slayer, my good sir, you have just convinced me to buy the latest Dynasty Warriors game. Have a cookie for being a damn good salesman, with that whole "Golden Panda" pitch. Show me Lu Bu on a gold panda mauling Guan Yu and earn some bonus points ;)

I think I will do that chimera201! Can't believe I didn't think of that myself!

david slayer

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Well thank you, Titillating. I think you will enjoy it. But wait, there's different versions of the game, I think. I think the Panda maybe dlc. So, you may have to buy one with the Dlc unlocked. "Complete edition" or something it's called, but I think that means the game is completed 100% already, but not sure. I'm reading you have to complete a big task to unlock Golden Panda. I don't remember doing that. There is one pink panda you get unlocked already, when you buy the version with all DLC included.

(I don't have mine installed at the moment, since I just reinstalled Windows).

The game plays really nice though, looks good, you can crank the settings up really high, and it barely uses any resources. I use Evga precision to monitor Gpu and I turned the fan up before playing, to see how high the temp got, and it wasn't really using the Gpu at all, or cpu hardly. Gpu only got to like 40 C with Gpu fan at 50% speed.

tomdoughnut

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Here's me going back to the future in GTA IV
XB4Cm2n.jpg

And here's me hanging around with some zombies in Dead Rising Off the Record
8Jjbyxz.jpg

Here's a link to my steam profile if you want to make sure the pictures are legit http://steamcommunity.com/id/tomdoughnut/screenshots/.

tomdoughnut

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I know it's amazing. Yep! It's sooo awesome. Here's a video I just recorded of it in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvosOIMYbwo. It's a really nice mod.

Meepan

Honorable
Mar 31, 2015
Hey, I heard about this contest from a buddy on NeoGAF. Sounds up my alley! I'll definitely be joining the Steam group. ^^

This.. is... Fashion Souls!
2014-05-05_000231muh6.jpg
(Dark Souls 2)

"The name's Nilin. Just Nilin."
2014-12-08_000128kuhy.jpg
(Remember Me)

For legit-ness, I do this semi-seriously as a hobby (screenshotting? sounds strange) and post selectively to other sites, but everything gets put up first on my Steam account.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome, Meepan, and thanks for joining us on Steam as well! Glad to hear that word of this has somehow made it over to NeoGAF!

Those are some GLORIOUS shots, and I wish my work monitors weren't so terrible. 1280x1024 is not enough to appreciate the HD-ness!

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing this as a serious-ish hobby; somebody's gotta provide the rest of us with great wallpaper material! Loving the Fashion Souls (very fabulous) and you make me want to try Remember Me, but I will have to judge you more critically, though, and I hope you understand. You'll have to go above and beyond with future screens—I look forward to being wowed!

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
That's too bad, Onus! You should find a few minutes for that this weekend ;)

In the mean time, I recently completed a new look for one of my alts! BEHOLD!

jZWWNll.jpg

z5i6gXS.jpg

Note that beautiful golden bum. Delicious.

EvilFlash

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
This one's from Just Cause 2!!!!!!!!!!!!! It one of the best games ever and my fav past time.......................
1znos42.jpg

5d32vb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.