Tom's Hardware Giveaway - Fallout 4!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well a lot of it depends on where I am emerging. Am I emerging in Boston? Or and I in my current state. If I was in my current state I would first go to Tucson (I am in Phoenix) and find a still decent abandoned area in the mountain areas, you always want decent fortification to protect yourself.

I would then search for food and of course supplies to survive. Considering bottle caps are the new currency and I have been recently drinking a ton of Mt Dew DEWShine I would have a decent collection going to barter with.

I would then start to look for MT Dew because you can't survive the nuclear apocalypse without some Dew.

ianyanian

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Wander around the wasteland.
Search for loot and caps.
Have a dog as a companion.
Craft weapons and armors.
Got bored.
Feeling lonely.
Open up Pip-Boy.
Trying to call my long-lost cousin far away from Boston.
"Hey, Niko. It's your cousin Roman. Let's go bowling!"

Hmmm. Find a motorcycle, pack food, booze, and and a 12-foot carbon-tipped lance (You're telling me I can't make that in the Vault? Sure I can.), and joust my way over to Oregon or Washington - tons of crazy doomsday preppers there whose stashes I can live on.

Matt Hood

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I would put on some sun block ASAP! I have lived my life in a vault with artificial light and no strong UV radiation! I am a pale as a yao guai's tooth! Bring on the SPF 1000, Mr. Handy, or I am getting a huge case of sunburn (you know, along with the rest of the radiation issue the outside world has).

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I would be scared to death, yet so curious about everything.

Scared. Scared to open myself to this whole unknown, unexplored world. Scared to discover if we can still breath fresh air outside. Scared to discover if there is still animals, trees, grass. Scared by the unknown.

Curious. I would eager to merge with that new world, to explore and learn about it. Curious to discover if humans can adapt to their planet. Curious to see new species, perhaps new civilization, a new order. I would wish to feel the wind on my face, the sun warming my skin. I would eager to finally breath liberty and live the world itself as a new experience...

And I would look for a PC Shop, my rig must be obsolete after all these years.

chechak

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
FIRST THINK i would do
- Pressing the Pipboy key (TAP) and read every think ....Status, S.P.E.C.I.A.L ,Skills,Perks ...every thing
- Hold the Pipboy key down and the flash light activates/deactivates.
- Look to the SKY and see how SUN is beautiful........
- THEN FIND THE DOG and LOOT EVERY THING together ..then find a house and good WIFE( lol dog first :D )
- finish the game and support the game
THANKS Todd Howard ...THANKS Bethesda...thanks TOMSHARDWARE..

As someone who lives and grew up in the rural mountains, that is where I would try to make my way.

Chances are they would not be as impacted by the nuclear detonation sites, less population, and more space. Also, as a self identifying redneck, I know there are plenty of guns and wild animals. And I mean plenty.
If I were able to be in my home town (somehow) I would make my way to my former high school. Several building on campus were built in the WWII era, so they have underground bunkers underneath the entire math wing, combined with an on campus farm and slaughterhouse as well as a fully stocked welding and carpentry shop. Several nearby locations run off of either solar, wind, or hydro power (from the nearby lake) so if I were lucky there might even be some power.

Set up there and call it good.

Xenophage2112

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I'd begin by scrounging for resources. A good nuclear apocalypse requires four things: A kick ass muscle car, a super smart and loyal attack dog, a sawed-off double barrel shotgun, and multiple pairs of eyeglasses. If anyone knows why the last piece is important, just keep it to yourself. We don't need more competition for eyeglasses. Anyway, I guess I'd just sit around and read books after that. Time enough at last.

K60185758

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2015
"Same Thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the WORLD!"

I would start training the rats and cockroaches to use as an army to help my world domination ambitions.

Then i could ride my army of unstoppable Minions to Glorious WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!

Axe08

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Take the bags of cash and precious jewelry up the stairs and into the lobby and make sure my team still has control of the hostages, then we then blow a hole in the wall that leads to the alley where Ivan our European getaway driver is waiting. Ivan begins to tell us how he saw a 3 legged dog(He named it "Yard"?) while he was waiting for us and tells us how heartwarming it was to see a dog persevere through it all and be just like all the other dogs out there. I have to stop him there because we really need to get out of here. Anyway he steps on the gas as we shoot out of the alley in a black BMW m6. The cops have spotted us and are now hot on our tail but Ivan is an amazing driver as he weaves throughout traffic. Horns are blasting as we are flying through intersections, and then out of the corner of my eye I see a 3 legged start to wander across the street after getting free from his owner. Ivan yells out 'NOOOOOO!!!" and he swerves out of the the way and we spin out of control and slam into a telephone pole. Everything goes quiet as we are all breathing out final breaths. Ivan then says in a low weak tone..."There are 3 feet in a Yard".
"I get it now" I said

Then we die.

Oh wait...did you mean a fallout vault???

EXPO 01010

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I would proceed to start my slow spiral into insanity at once. Once I have turned into a homicidal maniac I would proceed to use a nuke launcher to pre-cook my foo..I mean enemies.

RustyNailGun

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
First, close the vault door. Radroaches are a pain. Eat everything, not so good to eat. Don't want any deathclaws getting in either. They are just bad news all around in enclosed spaces.

Second. Since, of course, I left with a gun that the overseer gave me, I find the closest group of cannibal raiders, shoot them and take their guns and ammo. Befriend the dog that they didn't eat (they don't like dogs, just other humans, too chewy). Have the dog find dog food, makes a great stew.

Third. Find the Charles river, it's probably actually a clean river after humans have been underground for decades. May be a little radiated, but that just adds to the spice of fresh water.

Fourth. Make a shelter or find something that works. Only got a few weeks before it snows in Boston. Something warm and cozy. Boston Museum of Science probably is still standing. Might find some good stuff in there.

Next, start eeking out an existence.

Lastly, figure out how to get Tinder working in the Boston wasteland. Looking for a date.

cptdread

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Short Term Goal - Go with the flow! I would secure the immediate surroundings, hide the entrance, set traps to the entrance, and secure the door when I do leave. Make sure I have whatever I need and then hide the rest (Inside and even burying items near the door in case I need to return and someone has found it and survived).

Mid-range goal - Then go with the flow! No decisions other than slowly and be wary of anything moving. Find high ground and camp with no lights at night to survey the country side and make a decision based upon what is discovered. Find water, food, and gear to survive.

Long range Goals - Long term survival is well in hand until find mate to procreate!

dovair

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
First thing i do would be cover myself with deet, sure hope it works on thous irradiated mosquitoes. Giant radiated bugs give me the heebie jeebies

xapoc

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
First I would check out my pip-boy map, then go looting and gather potential followers and start small group. Then go around wastes stock up on supplies and do a bunch of good wasteland justice! Down the road I would start my own bounty hunting business.

Status
Not open for further replies.