Tom's Hardware Giveaway - Fallout 4!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amerikas

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
I would just casually walk around saying "good day" to everyone and then quickly stabbing them from behind with a knife I found laying around. Survival of the fittest :D

Carlrg2

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
first as a humble vault dweller and like all vault dwellers the world stops at the impassable and terrifying vault doors but one day when the doors opened i found myself having to get out or get pinned by the approching monsters attracted by weak prey. after the death of the overwatch i found myself having unbeareable headaches due to the rad. day 9 i meet with a wastelander who tells me that i have rad poisoning and i must find a rad away quickly. day 16 the headaches are getting to me slowly i am beginning to see shadows whispering and phasing in and out . day 23 i meet with three lovely nurses that tells me that they have a rad away i try to pickpocket the first one but i'm caught they take me and lock me up in a weird motel . day 25 all im fed is cans of beans .it has a weird taste . day 26 overheard two of the sisters that i'm beeing druged .i decide to not eat the next two days and plan my escape. day 29 the motel is attacked by The brotherhood of steel . they are searching for something .they asked me a few questions none of the which i could answer than they let me go.day 40 i find a town purchase a rad away ahhhhh.way better. day 45 while i'm chilling in a bar a person named Garvey comes and tells me that he want to ask for a job to be done and he tells me that my son Shaun is alive and that he can make a reunion possible i decide to help him .day 59 after i did the job garvey gives me a photo of shaun where its written wanted under it turns out shaun is the leader of the raiders his face looks half mutated .day 75 i lead the attack of the minute men on the raiders get caught , and put in prison for some sort of arena. day 80 arena time i fight everything they throw at me mutants ,yao guai, feral ghouls (no deathclaws that would be unfair). day 81 Shaun comes to see who is the great fighter of the arena i tell him "I am your father" he asks me how i tell him i survived and searched for him . day 90 i come back to garvey tell him i killed my son and waited until he slept then mister sandmanned him. day 91 my son is proud of me and gives me a fatboy and a house. day 109 yes day 109 i find a mirror in the house and notice that i was naked all this time wandering the wasteland and nobody told me 110 % would do this again

Aug 11, 2015
I would probably spend the first few moments spouting some very creative swearing. Then I would try to get a general idea about how the land around me changed. Look for any signs of life, asses how scary it is, and if it's not too bad, shoot it and steal anything useful, preferably some kind of vehicles, weaponry and supplies (preferably light, don't want any massive boxes weighing me down). If it is scary, go the other way. After finding something worthwhile, return to the vault and plan my next move, probably set off in a direction I knew used to have a settlement of any kind. Make sure to lock the vault so only I can get back in.

This concludes my nuclear apocalypse survival guide, I hope you found this helpful. Be sure to consult the second volume if you are in need of any more help. The author is not responsible for any injury or death resulting from you following the course of action suggested within. If you do die, please lodge a complaint with the author, so that further publications can be improved.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
Definitely find shelter with some storage in it. I'd look for shelter that would have a higher vantage point to spot enemies as well as distant locations to scout for food, weapons, and armour. I'd also look for villages to do trading.

JeebusSK

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I would start by double checking my S.P.E.C.I.A.L attributes and match them up to the perks I will most likely be wanting to use as per my gameplay style. I usually roll as a high AP, Long range, smooth talker so I don't have to deal much with Melee and I like collecting my followers not only for damage but for storage reasons. The first follower I will be figuring out is the dog in the trailer.

I will check out gather-ables in the starting area and getting used to the travel system as it unfurls. I enjoy doing side quests so that I can level up faster but I can build up karma and fame so I'll start with the first community I find then move on based on what environment(s) I see attractive.

I would definitely lose some sleep over this title but it would be worth it!

Big Pat

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
I would lookup some good PC builds on www.tomshardware.co.uk, which would allow me to get the best possible PC for as little caps as possible. :na: Theoretically if I were to leave the vault in 2277 it would be because I had run out of supplies and needed to resupply in water, fuel, food and equipment such as UV light bulbs to help supply me with Vitamin D and prevent me from getting very pale and getting cancer. My first step would be to do a second reading of the radiation. Being in an equipment and supply issue I would have to continue whatever the results, but if the reading was high I would have to wear the best protection I can. This would be long sleeved jump suits and a balaclava to minimize open skin. It would also rule out drinking any water in the open air, as it would most likely contain radiation particles. Being very careful to stick to the roads and not tread on the dirt (a good storage for the radiation) I would proceed to the nearest town and scout out for supplies in buildings. I would be very cautious to avoid any living (human or not) creatures as I put all my S.P.E.C.I.A.L points into perception and smurts, as i'm only 5 foot 6 inches (not the best fighting build). Avoiding all scorpins I would go siphon out any remaining fuel from cars and store it in Jerry cans. The supplies I collect would go into the best condition car which I can find. It is important to note not to use a diesel car as when they run out of fuel you need to bleed the system. When the sun is going over the horizon I would load just enough fuel into a car to get me to my vault with the supplies for the day. This would become the new job for me, fetch new equipment and supplies and bring it back to the place where I have the most security. If I am alone in the vault I would have less frequent visits as my supplies would last me longer. However if I am with others (maybe I got some with a gal) I would hand over 90% but keep a small fraction without anyone knowing and store it in a hidden location, just in case. Every trip would be further and further away from the vault until it is no longer sustainable to do the trips. This is when I would seize the opportunity created by the despair of the community and I would leave with my family and supplies and I would drive for the horizon and hope to find a new civilisation. I would find a new town and get a job as a courier, little would I know but that is where my true adventure would begin.

Oct 20, 2015
Honestly, first thing I would do is to stop and fallout out of my chair and start crying when I realize that the day I have been waiting for is finally here. In game? As a Bostonian myself, I would probably travel to some of the famous landmarks around the city. As like Titillating said, I would go to the TD garden, but a wouldn't destroy it. Go Celtics/Bruins!

mkdewidar

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Basic survival really, find food, find weapons, find people. After that I've found a group of people we would try to build our own base and I would search for all the knowledge I can get.

killkenny1

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
"Gee, killkenny1, what do you want to do first once you're playing Fallout 4?
"The same first thing I always do in a Bugthesda game, THG - loot every piece of crap I can get my hand on in the nearby area!"

Qenetor

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
I would go explore the surroundings of the vault and find some usefull stuff/equipment. Vegetables, fruits and other food would be good to find as well.

toddybody

Distinguished
1. Emerge from my shared vault with Oprah and Martha Stewart, exhausted from non-stop breeding and population rebuilding.

2. Build a fleet of adorable trash cleaning robots...coding them accidentally to have a love of show tunes and romantocism.

3. Start a religion, blaming the nuclear fallout on console gamers.

Marthos

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
1. Find a place to call home and fortify it.
2. Scavenge for firepower, ammo, mines, and food, especially Sugar Bombs.
3. Find a Brahmin to supply milk for my Sugar Bomb breakfast! (and lunch, and dinner, and midnight snack)
4. Scavenge for early 21st century computer and working copy of Fallout 4.
5. Hole up in my fortified "home" and play Fallout 4 between bowls of Sugar Bombs - it's a whole lot safer than wandering that damn wasteland! :D

I would take in all the pretty colors in the Fallout 4 world and say...

"This sucks, everything is too cheerful!!! I'm going back to playing Fallout 3 because all the colors in that game are a gloomy drab grey."

No need to give me the game. I already bought it.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
Get sick and die. No, that's a little too pessimistic; death and disease, at least the death part, are probably at least a couple of weeks away. Scouting the landscape would have to be Job One. Everything else depends on what you find outside the vault door. Let's presume the vault in question is a control vault working as designed (in which case it should have opened a hundred years earlier, but I digress) and your concern is with the stated mission of rebuilding civilization. A viable source of water is paramount, since presumably you'd want to start working on agriculture ASAP, and the vault's source wasn't designed to sustain a growing population, much less even small-scale farming. Shelter is less immediate, since the vault can work as an emergency fallback until your community has grown significantly. Since the vault has been feeding everybody so far, it can probably continue to do so for the current population plus 10-20% until something breaks, so that's not an immediate DEFCON 1 situation either. Alright; I answered the initial question, and am now meandering into justification territory for no real reason.

Short answer: Exploration slash hazard assessment, then water.

jjray588

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
I would immediately join a raider cult so I don't get instantly creamed by a super mutant or get made some lucky slavers bitch.

MMOKevin

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
What would I do after leaving the vault? Activate god mode and proceed to wreck havoc. After that, head to Nexus and install ridiculously stupid mods. After about 2 years of that, I would actually play the game. (That is exactly what I did with the other Fallout's but I promise I wont do the same for Fallout 4 since it looks really enjoyable :p)

Spurious_ECG

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
After exiting a vault, I would explore the surroundings and scavenge as many supplies as I can. I'll place emphasis on necessities like water, food, weapons, and ammo. I'd hide from any threats I couldn't deal with and hope to find a Fat Man to nuke them from a safe distance!

308longrange

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
If it's in Boston, I'm going right to gillete stadium and conquering whatever mutants or people are occupying it!:)

Go Pats.

.308LongShot
Love some Fallout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS