Tom's Hardware Giveaway - Final Fantasy VII!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the final entry of SEQUEL HYPE MONTH! I actually really enjoyed doing theme months, so perhaps I’ll revisit the idea soon!

For our grand finale, we are giving away what, in my own humble opinion, was the pinnacle of gaming in the 90’s, one of the greatest games released on the original PlayStation, Final Fantasy VII! Okay, so there isn't an actual "sequel", but it's getting remade so that counts right?! Plus, it's still a great game either way! It brings me back to the old days when a game was more than just pretty graphics, when it made you feel things and shed manly tears. Hopefully, the upcoming remake takes all of the things that made it a wonderful, defining moment of late 90’s gaming, and adds SUPER HD GRAPHICS so that we can all worship Sephiroth in all his glorious one-winged beauty.

We’ve got seven (7) copies to give away, and here's how you can enter! Tell us about your absolute favorite installment of the Final Fantasy series and what made it so great; or, if you haven’t played any or just weren’t a fan, what do you think is the greatest RPG/RPG-variant ever made and why? Winners will be randomly selected from among all participants.

I’m hoping to see some old-timers show some love for things like Tactics Ogre, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound! And remember—this is an open discussion! Chat amongst each other! Debate and argue (but keep it polite)! Things are more entertaining when everybody gets passionate about it!

Contest will run until 12 PM EDT on Friday, July 31st. That’s 12:00 noon. Winners will receive their prize via Steam gifts; a Steam account is required to receive and to play the game. One entry per user. Attempts to cheat the system will result in automatic disqualification.

Be sure to join our Steam group! We’re actively looking for volunteers to write community reviews for games, so if you’re interested, please reach out to me for more details!

Samat

Distinguished
I never really got around to play Final Fantasy series for some reason. Which I could now rectify.. I have fond memories of the original Baldur's Gate and Fallout games, hard to say which I'd classify as the best one though.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
What the heck I will try it, I don't know if I would like it, its been a while when I played the original, making it shiny would not change it for me

dragonfriend0013

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
I love all thing final fantasy. Loved FFVII the most. Can't wait to play the remake.
Sorry if possible double post. Tried posting but timed out. :(

burgergold

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

FF VI (FF3 NA) - because it had so many characters with strong story (terra, locke, figaro brothers, shadow, etc. etc. etc.), I've believe I leveled them all to 99. Can't count the number of hours spent in this game.
FF IV (FF2 NA) was good too but did have many flaws that were fixed in VI

adrenaline7879

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Final Fantasy: Crisis Core on PSP is my #2 and Final Fantasy X on PS2 is my #1. I love the characters of both games and each gave me the replay value I didnt really get from some of the others.

DonnyIII

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
How can one not like the final fantasy series? They're all so epic, but there was one who really did a number on me and that was Final Fantasy 10. I mean everything in it was a complete beauty. The battle system, the soundtracks, the plot, the gameplay... heck even the freaking ubeatable Dark Aeons. I just loved everything about this game.

Indirectllama

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
I never beat FF7. I got to the last tower and 3 of my characters got cursed and couldn't gain XP. They happened to be locked onto levels of 5 which, almost every fight involved the enemy using death 5. Meaning 3 characters automactically died. Needless to say, I rage quit and didn't touch it again. I loaned it out to a friend along with the PS1, since new consoles had been released, then I moved and never got it back.

My favorite RPG has to be Fallout 3. With a close second being Skyrim. With Fallout 3 it's the only RPG I've played through more than once. I wanted to find ever possible way to beat it and different ways of finishing quest (goodbye Megaton). Play with every possible companion (dogmeat=the best) every faction (still hate the BoS) and of course at least one run through with "Godlike" powers. New Vegas was okay but, it didn't satisfy my Fallout cravings.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
I haven't played the series mainly because I wouldn't know where to start. My favorite RPG has to be Golden Sun for the Djinns and puzzles. It has that Zelda like feeling which I am a big fan of.

pucspifo

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Oh man, until FF XI I played them all extensively. My favorites are by far FF VI and FF Tactics. Both had rich stories and great characters. I absolutely loved the steampunk setting and Kefka in FF VI. As for Tactics, it had a great story and I loved the tactical gameplay unlike anything Final Fantasy had done before

beshonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
My favorite final fantasy game is final fantasy 6. I'm currently replaying it on my nvidia shield android tv. While that's my favorite FF game, I liked Chrono Trigger and Xenogears better than any final fantasy game. Those two games changed the way I felt about gaming.

akmadib

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
It's hard to choose between 7,8,9 and X. But ultimately I'll pick the usually underrated Final Fantasy 9 as my favourite because:

1) It has alot of mini-games. I especially enjoyed the Chocobo Hunting Artifact minigame. (kweh.)
2) A lot of secrets and items to be found, Ultimate weapons etc etc.

Speaking of favourite RPG of all time for the PSX, I would say Capcom's Breath of Fire 3. Just because, as a 9-year old kid, creating your own mixture of dragon from splicing their 'genes' is awesome. XD

jecripe

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Its strange that I found this contest today as I retrieved my GBA from the archives and was enjoying FF1 on it for several hours yesterday. Wanted to start at the beginning to see where it all started. I have fond memories of my roommate and his girlfriend playing my copy of FFVII and thinking as soon as there's time I will join. Alas I was too busy playing diablo 2 or working and then they had the tv connected to the Dreamcast so I let his girlfriend play to keep the peace. What a wonderful opportunity to relive this game and have a remake with HD graphics too! Color me nostalgic for the old games we had to play.

damvcoool

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
My Favorites on the FF series are:
FF VIII, because it was the first one i played, and was the one that got me hooked on the Series
FF XII, Because i like the ability to just move around the battle field and control the AI of the Team Members and switch between them, also it reminded me a lot of Vagrant Story which is my Favorite SquareSoft Game.
FF III, and IV, because the stories were engaging and both games were gifts from my Wife along side a Nintendo DS lite.

gcaughey

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm personally a Metroid guy. But my wife got me into FF. my favorite so far is X. End story is mind blowing. Tidus isn't real!?!

mlga91

Admirable
I loved FF VII, VII and IX, Never got a chance to play FFX, and kinda liked FFXII (though most people hate it), i'll maybe pick XIII in the next steam sale. But my favorite RPGs of all time are Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, no Final Fantasy came close to them in terms of story telling.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Preaaaach! That series deserves a reboot more than any other.

M for Moartea

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015
If there was one game that managed to shape my childhood, my vision as a gamer and served as a symbol of greatness to which every game that followed should have aspired to, for me that game is Final Fantasy VII. I remember it came on 4 CDs on PC while most games of the time didn't exceed 100MB. I also remember it was unplayable on my first PC due to the lack of 3D hardware acceleration, another unheard of thing at that time. Now seeing it's remake on the horizon gives me a glimmer of hope for the gaming industry. Now give! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.