Tom's Hardware Giveaway: Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Good Monday to you all! This is an exciting week for some people. Tomorrow is the official release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain! And of course, we here at Tom’s Hardware are going to be giving a copy away!

Since we only have one copy this time (sorry guys) we’re going to make this really interesting. Here’s what you will have to do to enter this giveaway:

As somebody who has never played the games, I don’t know what the heck is going on anymore. It looks like there is a whole lot of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff going on. It’s confusing! In your own words, please explain to us the plot of the overall MGS story so far. Be creative. Make it funny and interesting, because for the first time, you will all be the judges for this week’s giveaway. That’s right, due to popular request, we’re going to experiment and let you pick the winners! Here’s how that will work: Simply upvote the post if you liked the person’s summary. It’s that simple. You can upvote as many as you’d like.

One rule though: Please do not downvote posts. If you didn’t like it, just skip over it. There’s a lot of potential for abuse here so we are strongly discouraging the use of downvotes. It also makes it a total hassle for me to track. If there is rampant abuse of downvoting, to the point where we can’t determine accurate numbers, the giveaway will have to be scrapped and redone in a less interesting manner. So there’s your warning.

The best (most popular) summary will win a pre-order copy of MGS V, which comes with Ground Zeroes!

As an added bonus, we here in the office will choose our favorite, who will be dubbed the runner-up and will receive a copy of Ground Zeroes!

Contest will run until 12 PM EDT on Friday, September 4th. That’s 12:00 noon. Winners will receive their prize via Steam gifts; a Steam account is required to receive and to play the game. One entry per user. Attempts to cheat the system will result in automatic disqualification.

Be sure to join our Steam group! The group is nearing 1,000 members, and we’ve got a great surprise planned for that, so help us reach that goal faster by inviting your friends!

We’re actively looking for volunteers to write community reviews for games, so if you’re interested, please reach out to me for more details.

EdyStauch

Reputable
May 28, 2015
I have no idea of what is going on...
I never play any game of MG series.

And this contest is complicated because anyone want to upvote others "enemys" in the contest...

So, upvote me please.

: )

tech-wreck

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
as the sunlight breaks through the heavily barred window, high above his bed, the medication wears off and he slowly brings his surroundings into focus... he looks over to his left and sees the numerous non-toxic crayon scrawls on the padded fabric wall: "fission mailed", repeated hundreds of times in chaotic handwriting.
he then turns to the other side to see the huge charcoal portrait of the woman that has haunted his imagination for longer than he can remember...
"Meryl..." he whispers hoarsely.
his thoughts are interrupted by the sound of a key turning in a lock. he tries to rise, but is held captive by the restraining straps around his arms and legs.
a face comes into his field of vision, a large woman with a ruddy complexion, saying "good morning, Derek, it's time for your meds. i hope you are feeling well today, you have your review with doctor silbermann at 11."
he tries to resist swallowing the two large tablets but the orderly is experienced in dealing with difficult patients, and soon he is again drowsy and compliant.
some time later, and not quite sure how he got there, he is sat in a small, windowless room at a table. a door opens and in walks a middle-aged man wearing a white coat, the unnatural flourescent light reflecting off his balding head as he sits down on the other side of the table, opening a folder in front of him. "hello again, Derek, do you remember who i am?"
"yes sir"
"why do you call me sir?"
"because you are my commanding officer."
"no, i am doctor silbermann, head of psychiatry at this secure hospital. i see little progress has been made since our last meeting. do you remember when that was?"
"after i defeated the first metal gear?"
"i see... i will be making my report to the board and recommend that you stay here for further treatment. i will set a date for your next review in six months. and please don't try to remove your eye again with a spoon."
"can i have another box?"
doctor silbermann smiles, "yes, but don't try and escape through the front gate in it, you know that doesn't work. goodbye Derek."

claudchavez

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Hey everyone! i have never played any of the games in the mgs series.
All friends have been constantly raving about it ever since i can remember.
Help a brother out with some upvotes so i can finally have the chance to play such a great series.

bwohl

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I rented MGS for the PS3 years ago. At the time, I thought why in the hell would someone make a game that is a cinematic event that you hardly play? Little did I know it was the beginning of a genre - with The Order on PS4 being exactly how NOT to do it. I never played any of the games before, nor after. I would like to give the new one a go if selected and maybe change my mind about this whole series.

jonroberts26

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Only one copy? I have no hope of winning.

I remember putting the vibrating controller on my shoulder after getting shot (?)

That and every time I died, the chief screamed, "Snake, SNAKE!!!"

jnoronha91

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
snake is a one eyed stoner who lost his bong to the big boss army while he was zonked in the mexican jungle. His bong has the ability to control time ;which was given to him by the God of Weed also known as snoopdadog. His mission is to infiltrate the enemy and find out where the bong is while simultaneously trying to beat the munchies by only living on the sweetest jungle berries available in the jungle.
peace \/m

Pugs4life

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
Well this story is a big mind fuck however if you can get your head around what I'm about to say then I credit you sir. Let's start with the Philosophers, they are a secret shady organization just like the Illuminati except for they are fake and the Illuminati exists. Well this group controls what goes on in the world and they are more rich then D O double G himself; their riches are controlled in this thing got the Philosophers Legacy. Anyway some random stereotypical Russian gets hold of this Legacy as you do and creates a powerful nuclear device, a woman called The Boss a legendary soldier (who said women can't be bad asses) is sent to gain this Russian guys trust through the power of seduction; just joking instead she gives him nuclear weapons but this ends up getting America framed for starting a war so The Boss sacrifices herself to prove the innocence of her country by letting her former student Naked Snake kill her and well he is not happy that he killed so he crierytim now, just joking XD. Naked Snake become Big Boss and His friend Zero and some guy who has a fanboy crush on Big Boss ask him to join the Patriots which they want to become the new Philosophers which is funded by the Legacy. However things go down the shitter and the three break up just like one direction but zero takes some of Big Boss's baby juice to create clones. Big Boss decides to make an army to stop Zero and well that is where the Phantom Pain begins. Years later Big Boss wants to keep an eye on the enemy and become the leader of Fox Hound which is a special unit. Solid Snake one of the clones is in Fox Hound and he doesn't know he is a clone of Big Boss; anyway Solid is sent on a mission to find one of his fellow soldiers and well he finds a Metal Gear (no shit Sherlock that's what the game is called) he destroys it and find out that it was Big Boss's and they fight and Solid wins because he was much younger and wasn't old. The same thing happens again years later and Big Boss is still alive, yh so Solid should kill his enemies in his own hands not leave them to fate, come on man. He stops Big Boss again and leaves him for dead again. Zero is too old and leaves the Patriots to be controlled by AI which well causes big problems, Solid Snake stops these problems but is now aging rapidly due to being a clone and being injected with a toxin called FOXDIE which will cause an epidemic. At this point a depressed Snake is about to commit suicide but Big Boss gives his some Fatherly love and tells him he is ok and the FOXDIE won't kill everyone (Big Boss is alive somehow idk how). The FOXDIE causes Big Boss to start dying because it was meant to kill Big Boss but before he dies he kills Zero and is layed to rest on the Boss's grave with the help of Solid. Mind fucked? There is much more to this story but they are just tiny little details this is just a summary, yup even the summary is big.

AlecWallace

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
An android from the future has been sent back with amazing technology to fight the would be destroyers of the human race only to find that humans of the current era can easily be confused by hiding in a box. The placement of the box does not seem to matter, nor does the contents of the box seem to be relevant.

After years of experimenting with box technology Solid Snake has discovered that the faction that would destroy us all has discovered the ancient ghost of all boxes that came before. With new Anti-box technology, they are hurting the ghost of boxes. Creating "Phantom Pain".

Will Snake be able to stop his enemies from destroying the source of his power? Will he ever explain why he looks like a man but is named snake? Find out in "Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain"

marshmallow905

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Metal Gear Solid is an action-adventure stealth video game. It is about Snake infiltrating and penetrating fortified bases all over the world, later in the series he becomes an one eyed Solid Snake. He has a twin brother, Liquid Snake who always felt inferior to Solid Snake.

Summary of each console game so far:

Metal Gear Solid

Three modes are introduced to the game, alert mode, evasion mode and infiltration mode. Main objective of the game is to hide, remain undetected, crawling, using boxes as cover to infiltrate and penetrate.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Point of view is introduced (POV). Deepthroat aka Mr. XXX is introduced to the game as well.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Camouflage is introduced in order to prevent being eaten. There are different kinds of protection to choose from to blend in with the environment. For example, wearing a bark-patterned ultra thin latex suit while leaning against a tree or wearing striped face paint on his head. Close combat has also been refined, Snake can grab opponents and put them in a chokehold. A variety of actions can be performed during the chokehold, such as choking the enemy unconscious. The context, pressure applied to the button, and movement of the analog stick determine the action performed.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

You now play as an aged Solid Snake. You are now Old Snake. Psyche Meter is introduced. It is influenced by battlefield psychology. Stressors including personal hygiene including foul smells, unshaved, etc, increase Snake's stress gauge, eventually depleting his Psyche. Adverse effects include difficulty in aiming, lack of stamina, unable to stay alert and hard for long period of time, more frequent back pain and the possibility of Snake passing out before finishing the mission. Among the available methods of restoring Psyche are drinking, medication and reading an adult magazine.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Reflex Mode is introduced when activated the player only has a short window of time in slow motion to "take out" the enemy.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Many acknowledged its emotional power and exploration of mature themes. You take the role of Punished/Venom Snake. The game itself encourages players to use non-lethal weapons such as tranquilizer darts to subdue enemies to "complete" the missions.

Ciririannon

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
Metal Gear Solid in 200 words or less.

Bandanas are worn by ultimate soldiers like a black belt to karate. Mommy complexes, brother complexes, daddy issues, poop jokes, "tit"illating fan service and soda drinking monkeys make up the majority of the side plot. Random animals preceded by random adjectives and nouns comprise most of the espionage world's code names. Gundam Wing's angry underdeveloped brothers and sisters always make an entrance as the final boss. Hand to hand climaxes are more dramatic than the thousand camera angle changes during a Bourne movie fight scene and Cyborg ninjas always want "more". Kojima overtly goes out of his way to show that nothing good comes from love unless it's achieved by a 10 year, long running poop joke that socially snatches your only romantic interest as the game's first protagonist. Also... Otacon... Otacon... Otaaaaaaacooooonnnnn, stop crying.

On a serious note... Metal Gear's storyline shows the various degrees of pain that go with life, how and why to respect enemies, the experience of unrestricted love & unyielding caring and the end result of a mind flooded with hatred & revenge. Most importantly, (in my eyes) it shows that individuality is what makes this world a better place as long as we can accept and find our own happiness.

Mgs in a nutshell. I *DO NOT* WANT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE CONTEST(no gaming pc atm). Just wrote a quick thing during my lunch break just in case any mgs fans got a kick out of that first paragraph or understand the second.

DragonLich

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Here's where it starts to get a bit confusing, because the earliest game in the series is actually one of the latest. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake-Eater is set in 1964, after the Philosophers have fallen apart. It starts with Snake parachuting in, James Bond-style, on a mission to retrieve a Russian scientist called Sokolov, who's developing a bipedal nuclear tank against his will.
On the way, Snake takes orders from a guy called Zero, ends up defeating a group of paranormal bad guys called the Cobras, and destroys his old boss (called, appropriately enough, The Boss). He also has a showdown with a young Major Ocelot – of whom we'll see more later – and encounters a sexy double agent called Eva. The most important development, however, is that he stumbles upon the location of the Philosopher's Legacy, and, as the plot snakes and writhes itself into successive twists, it turns out that Eva's a double agent who's trying to retrieve the legacy for the Chinese, while The Boss and Ocelot have been working for the US all along.

As for Snake, it turns out he's not Snake at all. Or at least, he's not Solid Snake, the bandana-wearing chain-smoker that we all know and love from the other Metal Gear games. In fact, after getting promoted for helping to recover The Legacy, he's given a new name, Big Boss, and, in 1971, establishes a covert operations team called FOXHOUND – a year after the American arm of the Philosophers rename themselves The Patriots. Both events are essentially depicted in Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. One event that isn't depicted, but is alluded to at the end of Snake-Eater, is that, in 1972, a US government project called Les Enfants Terribles successfully creates the sons of Big Boss: Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake and, most importantly, Solid Snake, the bandana-wearing chain-smoker that we all know and love.
Fast forward to 1995 and we finally catch up with the first game in the series, Metal Gear (released, in the real world, in 1987, on the MSX2 and then the NES). That's when Big Boss sends in the newest member of FOXHOUND, Solid Snake, to a place called Outer Heaven to rescue another operative called Grey Fox. But it turns out that Big Boss is actually in charge of Outer Heaven, and has secretly been building a massive walking battle tank called Metal Gear. The episode culminates in a showdown between Snake and Big Boss, neither of whom, apparently, realise that they're father and son.

After Big Boss is left for dead, his colleague, Roy Campbell steps up to take over FOXHOUND. Then, four years later, (or three, in the real world, since Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake was released in 1990), Snake is called out of retirement to rescue the inventor of an oil-refining microbe from the heavily armed nation of Zanzibar Land. It turns out that Grey Fox is behind it all, with a rebuilt Metal Gear, except then there's another twist, and it turns out that Big Boss is even more behind it all, attempting to reduce the world to constant conflict and war. (This part of the story only appeared in Japan until its inclusion in the Metal Gear Solid manual, and then, eventually in playable form as part of MGS 3: Subsistence).
Which brings us on to Metal Gear Solid, where Solid finally learns that he's the cloned offspring of Big Boss. After coming out of retirement (again), Snake heads off to Alaska, and the nuclear weapons disposal facility of Shadow Moses, where FOXHOUND, under the leadership of Solid's cloned brother, Liquid, has turned terrorist, demanding that the government turn over the remains of Big Boss or they'll use a new Metal Gear to launch a load of nukes. In among the thicket of plot developments, Grey Fox reappears as a cyborg ninja (before dying under Metal Gear's foot at the end); one of Snake's support staff, Naomi Hunter, turns out to be another double agent; and Snake defeats his brother, Liquid Snake. Snake also meets up with Otacon, who has been helping build the new Metal Gear REX, and runs into the newly prefixed Revolver Ocelot, who is now working for FOXHOUND. Except, at the end of the game, it's revealed that he has still been working for the US all along – reporting directly to the president, in fact, who just happens to be the third cloned brother, Solidus
Metal Gear Solid 2 is where things start to get really confusing. That's when, in 2009, a new character, Raiden, thinks he's part of FOXHOUND, when, in fact, he's being duped by an AI controlled by the Patriots (who, you'll remember, are the US arm of The Philosophers). It starts with a brief prologue, in which Snake meets up with Revolver Ocelot again, except Ocelot is now actually Liquid Snake (due, in one of Hideo Kojima's more improbable plot twists, to a hand transplant that goes awry). Snake, however, is unable to prevent Ocelot/Liquid from commandeering a new Metal Gear RAY.
The action then segues to the much maligned Raiden, whose mission is to rescue some hostages from a terrorist group calling itself Sons of Liberty, led by Snake's other brother, Solidus. Raiden's mission sees him discover the construction of yet another new Metal Gear, before he bumps into Ocelot, who reveals himself to be a Patriot agent, and who explains that the whole thing is an elaborate simulation to turn Raiden into a supersoldier. Except he's lying, and it hasn't been. It's actually been an attempt by Solidus to seize the Metal Gear and use it to take over Manhattan and rebel against Patriot control. The Patriots, on the other hand, were planning to implant an AI in the new Metal Gear, and (in another improbable piece of plotting) take control of America via the internet. And then, at the end – dun-dun-duuun! – it's revealed that the Patriots are all dead.

So basically, Big Boss is Snake's dad, and Liquid Snake and Solid Snake are his brothers, and Big Boss has been going round trying to start wars so that soldiers don't get treated badly by governments, but the whole time the Patriots have been hanging around in the shadows, trying to keep the world in a perpetual state of conflict so that they can rule the world. And Solid Snake has just been following orders and trying to make the world a nicer place. Or something like that. And that, in a nutshell, is what the Metal Gear series is all about. Until Metal Gear Solid 4 reveals it was all a dream or something.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Are you nate787?

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/3idlaz/eli5_the_metal_gear_solid_story/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts