Tom's Hardware Giveaway - Ultra Street Fighter IV!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Brief, pointless story time! I was bitten by a spider last week and was out of commission all weekend. I had hoped that I would develop some awesome Spidey-powers, but alas, no such luck. In any case, I am still recovering and the meds have me loopy, so there are no bells and whistles this week.

This week we are giving away three (3) copies of Ultra Street Fighter IV! For those not in the know, ‘ultra’ is better than ‘super’. Very cool. Sadly, the upcoming Street Fighter V will not follow the Turbo-Super-Ultra progression, which saves people some money but makes the naming of it much less interesting.

Anyway. Contest entry! I want to take a bit of a poll. Of the movies produced from popular fighting games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, DOA: Dead or Alive, and Tekken), which do you think was the best and why? I know, I know, objectively speaking, they were all pretty horrible movies, but they were great as mindless videogame-based entertainment! If you haven’t seen them, I highly recommend that you waste a few hours of your life on this. You won't regret it (you probably will).

Personally, I think Street Fighter was the best because Jean-Claude Van Damme played Guile and his fight with Bison was not even terrible. Plus, Chun-Li went on to become the voice of Mulan. So cool.

Contest will run until 12 PM EDT on Friday, July 24th. That’s 12:00 noon. Winners will receive their prize via Steam gifts; a Steam account is required to receive and to play the game. One entry per user. Attempts to cheat the system will result in automatic disqualification.

Be sure to join our Steam group! We’re actively looking for volunteers to write community reviews for games, so if you’re interested, please reach out to me for more details!

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
The order IMO:

1.) Mortal Kombat - Good story, very well acted (considering most video game movies had sucked around then). Almost realistic tone compared to how over the top the game is. Christopher Lambert really sold Raiden. Not sure how they could have screwed up the sequel so badly.

2.) Dead Or Alive - Surprisingly entertaining as I figured it'd be more based around 'sex sells' than story. Jamie Pressly and Devon Aoki performances are definite high points though. Jamie really got into shape to be able to play Tina Armstrong.

3.) Street Fighter - Cheesy as hell and Van Damme is not a very good actor. Kylie Minogue and Ming-Na Wen played a hot Cammie and Chun-Li. Sad it was Raul Julia's last movie as it was definitely his worst.

4.) Tekken - I couldn't even make it all the way through; it's that bad.

Angelman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Mortal Kombat easily. I do like Jean-Claude's look as Guile and Raul Julia wasn't terrible as Bison for what he was given, but for me the overall fighting was better in Mortal Kombat as well as the best overall bad acting of the group. All of these movies had terrible writing, character development, etc., but still I watch these movies today and hope they get appropriate reboots. Jean Claude could probably still play Guile :)

M for Moartea

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015
For me, Mortal Kombat was the least horrible movie of the bunch that I've watched. It was also the only one that I saw at the cinema, so that experience alone (as opposed to watching the others on TV) is enough to tip the scales in its favor. Not the best money I've ever spent, btw.

unphazeable

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Street Fighter. I can appreciate bad action movies, and the late great Raul Julia is in it (even if it wasn't his best role ever).

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
1) Mortal Kombat: lived and breathed MK via an early PC game (no idea which one) and the movies, any given day I could be found reenacting the fights while listening to the soundtrack (I was 6 ok), also Christopher Lambert = great Raiden

2) Street Fighter: don't actually remember much of the movie but I am a Van Damme fan

glez13

Reputable
May 19, 2015
I suppose that Mortal Kombat was the less cheesy one and the one that made the most sense. But, yeah, they all sucked.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Mortal Kombat was the best overall of the 5 movies. It was well executed for a video game movie. It had a pretty decent story AND THE MUSIC SOUNDTRACK ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Christopher Lambert...RAYDEN COME AGAIN!!!! lol

kireato

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
The only movie I've seen out of those is Street fighter so obviously it's the best!

I did not know that Christopher Lambert acted in Mortal Kombat. Now I know to just NOPE away from that stuff.
Search youtube for Christopher Lambert laughs, and you'll know what I mean.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
Oh come on, Street Fighter was the best one. "I am the repo man, and you are out of business" in that horrendous accent was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS