Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 172 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Not exactly a new system, but an updated older machine I built back in 2010.

Changed it out of the old 12 YO Cooler Master Cav and into a Fractal Design Focus G and added a Seasonic G-550W PSU replacing the 7 YO M12II 620W.

Specs:

I7 870
Noctua NH - L9x65 Cooler
GB GA P55m UD2
16 GB DDR3
240 GB Sandisk SSD
1 TB Seagate Constellation
Asus DVDRW
XFX RX 480 8GB
Seasonic G-550W
Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120MM fan
2x 120mm fans that came with the case.

I7_870_new_case.JPG

Thanks. :)

I figured it was time I did something with it, the front USB ports in the old case broke awhile back. The cooling in the old case was pathetic by todays standards with 1 120mm in the back and 80mm in the front. No cable management at all and the PSU was on the top, well it was a 12 YO case. Was a good case for the time.

Still have one more machine I have to switch out of the same model case. Will get around it to it sometime soon I suppose, i5 Ivy Bridge machine.

allanac

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017

Wow...this is beautiful. Nice! and want more pics. :)

Well finally got around to putting the 3rd Gen I5 machine into a new case. Just a basic workstation machine for email, browsing and some very light games.

i5-3450S
Noctua NH L9X65 Added also
Intel BOXDQ77MK MB
8 GB G-Skill Trident DDR3 2400
Seasonic M12II 650W (SS-650AM)
Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB Hard Drive
DVD Drive
DVDRW Drive

Here is the 13 YO Cooler Master Cav 3 case.... Cooling is really bad and no cable management to speak of and no filters.

DSC_6005.JPG

Here are all the parts cleaned up and Noctua NH L9x65 added:

DSC_6003.JPG

Shot of the Motherboard.

DSC_6004.JPG

All together and running in the Fractal Design Focus G case.

DSC_6006.JPG

Ok here you all go.

The over build quality is actually good for the price range, it could use a little more space behind the MB panel and back side for cable management as it's tight back there. Other than that is very easy to build in in the two machines I built in them.

The quality is surprisingly good and there is quality there, no it's not like a Cooler Master - Master Case 5 Pro, but it is good.

Well worth the $40 - $50 they go for, got both of mine on sale for $40 each.

Focus G and I5 machine.

DSC_6007.JPG

DSC_6008.JPG

DSC_6009.JPG

DSC_6010.JPG

DSC_6011.JPG

Focus G and I7 870 Machine.

DSC_6012.JPG

DSC_6013.JPG

DSC_6014.JPG

DSC_60151.JPG

DSC_6016.JPG

I think you can pull the 5 1/4" bays out and add space for another 120MM fan in the front so that would be 6 fans.

And the quality is good, the hardware etc, it's not junk like most budget cases.

I used them for the older machines due to the quality and price.

And they have filters to boot, top, front and bottom.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Fantastic build!

When did you get the Evolv case? I don't know what it is about that case but I've liked it a lot ever since they came out. I wish they had a full tower version of it like the Enthoo pro though. I nearly got that case instead of my Define S and while I AM happy with that, especially after all the mods I did to it, I still kind of wish I had went with the Evolv ATX instead.

Got it on newegg, really pricey though, but for lots of tempered glass, makes sense. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854041

However, I don't think I'd buy it again personally, because without the mesh front the thermals aren't great. Besides that though, the case is pure awesome.

I'm so mad at myself though, I had NO IDEA this variant of the Evolv existed: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854057

It's around $50 cheaper and it only has a single see thru tempered glass panel on the front side. I never see the rear of my case, so the rear tempered glass is useless to me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I love the Evolv looks, it's going to be my next case, even if I have to stand on the street corner to get one. It will, however, be the mITX version, so bring on the mods cuz I'm going to find a way to make it fit a 280mm aio or full custom loop.

That's actually like what I was looking at at that time, except not the gray anthracite color. And I would definitely have modded the front panel much as I did with my define S except rather than a union jack mesh cutout in the front panel I'd have done the mod mesh thing with the round holes OR pattern drilled the front panel for increased airflow. Very few of the really nice cases have enough front airflow and most of them need to be modded. That's ok.

That's the best part. Buying something that's already all it's ever going to be is too boring.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Wow , nice look on that case.

TRENDING THREADS