Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 179 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
That's true. Nice catch Vic. I failed to notice that. Well, I did, because of the front mounted hard drives, but it just didn't "click".

I'd definitely recommend doing what Vic says, especially since there is no rear case panel fan to remove the heat that's blowing out of that cooler. I would normally never recommend a bottom to top orientation on any build unless it was absolutely necessary, but in this case due to the design, I agree that it is and should be done that way.

Since we can't see what is underneath or on top, I hope there are fans there and that the bottom ones are intake and the top ones are exhaust, otherwise you're really going to have some cooling issues.

sruddy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
That's an amazingly clean looking build, especially for a Cooler master case. I gotta admit, as much as I dislike Cooler master, I think you did a terrific job there. Might could do a little better cable management in the back, but it looks terrific everyplace else, and it looks ok there too just could be better. I wouldn't even normally offer that to most members here, but the build looks so nice I think it' would be worth it in this case.

Then again, if you plan to add custom or pre-sleeved cables at some point, you might just as well wait to do any serious CM until after that. Nice job though.
Looks great.:benetton: To add,it's a bottom to top airflow so might be best (if it can fit) to let the cooler blow air to the top,means rotate 90 degrees so that the fan blows from the bottom to the top.

Thanks for the comments! FWIW I'm a first time builder and even though I read reviews about GPU vertical orientation running hotter, I went with the aesthetic choice over the cooling choice. If I find out I'm having heat issues I'll add some fans first and it that doesn't work I'll change the gpu orientation. fwiw I ran my cpu at 100% for many hours and I ran a GPU for 3 hours in extreme test mode. The gpu fan speed never got over 54 percent and temp 54 centigrade. It normally idles at 26 centigrade so this didn't seem too hot to me, let me know if I'm mistaken! Thanks again.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the comments! FWIW I'm a first time builder and even though I read reviews about GPU vertical orientation running hotter, I went with the aesthetic choice over the cooling choice. If I find out I'm having heat issues I'll add some fans first and it that doesn't work I'll change the gpu orientation. fwiw I ran my cpu at 100% for many hours and I ran a GPU for 3 hours in extreme test mode. The gpu fan speed never got over 54 percent and temp 54 centigrade. It normally idles at 26 centigrade so this didn't seem too hot to me, let me know if I'm mistaken! Thanks again.
You're welcome. 😊

I have no comment on the gpu position,just the cooler on the cpu. Maybe it will not give much hoter temps as it is,but the cooler orientated to the top (with that bottom to top airflow design) would be what i have done.

Reactions: sruddy
Are there case fans preinstalled in that case, and if so, where and in what orientation. Your cooling seems ok, but maybe it could be better with minimal investment of time or money. Just a thought. Certainly I'd swap the CPU cooler like Vic said. There is ZERO reason for it to be oriented the way it is now. All it is doing is firing heat directly at the closed back panel which is going to deflect right back towards the motherboard and CPU cooler. At least oriented vertically it will have some chance to exit through the top vents with or without exhaust fans installed there. With exhaust fans installed in the top would certainly be a LOT better though.

Reactions: sruddy
Here is my latest acquisition, Radio-Shack TRS-80 Model 3 factory Upgraded to a Model 4, I will be installing a 3.5" 720K and a Gotek Flash Floppy that will give me instant access to about 47,722 Diskettes of 720K) , I just completed the restorations and its a Monochrome Amber CRT 12" running at a whopping 4Mhz Z80 CPU with a Massive 128K of ram, The Base drives use 179K single sided, double density 5.25" floppies. I know your dying to get one yourself.... welcome back to the 80's

(this is the day I picked it up, Ill post a restored version once the case paint dries)
View: https://i.imgur.com/flr2KL9.jpg

Reactions: davew1860

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have a couple of 'sleeper' chassis sitting around I have been meaning to do something with.

Pentium era Compaq Presario server full tower, with external drive cabinet that is basically a whole other mid-tower.
Operational Dell Poweredge 4200. Would make a fantastic water cooling chassis.
Mac G5 Pro workstation (10 bucks at a thrift store) Stripped out the components and tried to sell them without much luck.
I have a tiny disc duplicator that is about right for a mini-ITX board.
And an external hard drive(s) for an old, and I mean old, digital camera. 640x480 if I recall, about a foot long, some old professional rig, way before handhelds. Uses parallel or external scsi port I think, never been able to get it talking to anything. Even with the model name and all the equipment I can't track down the software or what host computer it was intended to be used with. Might even be a special ISA card or something I need.

My problem is I pretty much always buy a chassis with new builds so all my hardware currently have homes. Except for my old i7-950.

Hmm, my usual junk hunting grounds of the Dayton, Ohio Hamvention is in a few weeks. If anyone is looking for some old chassis or retro hardware I highly recommended checking it out. Can get some cool old rack mount radio equipment as well that you can do things with. Usually people selling electronic test equipment like oscilloscopes on the cheap. I'm not big into the radios, but people bring all kinds of crap there from most of the continental US. Slowly dying to Ebay but the occasional gem can be found. Spotted a bitfenix prodigy last year. Lot of military stuff as well. And it is where old unsellable bit coin mining equipment goes to sit around and look pretty.

customgtp

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
pcpartpicker.com
Here is my latest build. I modded a red bull bartender mini refrigerator to a pc case with watercooling

249759.7706057076721bfe8967e0ff994edf9d.1600.jpg

249759.ab8098e32872e8e0a54a789d063f8d2c.1600.jpg

249759.b9836eceb2d3ba88802e49913cd43e67.1600.jpg

249759.2f6d203102c91c6393c3282a01130701.1600.jpg

249759.4a5d1f8b7f790af1287ae9ca3d83c4d4.1600.jpg

249759.f0a6fbcc4f3ba716ea59b64a2d1ab57e.1600.jpg

likeag6

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
My second brand new build, don't smash me too much :) and i didn't have a second black sata cable so one will be red :)
SSD on other side of the motherboard.
System is absolutely soundless !

My system specs are:
MSI B360M Mortar
Core i5-9600K
Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU cooling
2x8GB 2666mhz Kingston Hyperx RAM
MSI Gaming X GTX 1660Ti @ 2010mhz
Be Quiet! pure power 11 600w PSU
Kingston 240gb SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 case

e0isev.jpg

2hhd547.jpg

Last edited:
Some years ago, I had a thing about building PCs into antique furniture. The customer provided the victim and I carefully concealed a motherboard in a desk drawer which had the back removed for ventilation. Looking at the mini fridge and the old TRS80 (mine was a 100 which I bought in 1985 or 6 I recall) gives me the idea of doing it again.

My wife is getting worried about the amount of attention I'm giving to the microwave.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Some years ago, I had a thing about building PCs into antique furniture. The customer provided the victim and I carefully concealed a motherboard in a desk drawer which had the back removed for ventilation. Looking at the mini fridge and the old TRS80 (mine was a 100 which I bought in 1985 or 6 I recall) gives me the idea of doing it again.

My wife is getting worried about the amount of attention I'm giving to the microwave.

Leave the magnetron in, put on a show!

sruddy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
You're welcome. 😊

I have no comment on the gpu position,just the cooler on the cpu. Maybe it will not give much hoter temps as it is,but the cooler orientated to the top (with that bottom to top airflow design) would be what i have done.

Oh, I understand, it appears Be Quiet didn't design the cooler to be oriented either way. At least I don't see that I can spin the logo back to read right if I'm able to spin it. I live with it for awhile and see what happens.

Are there case fans preinstalled in that case, and if so, where and in what orientation. Your cooling seems ok, but maybe it could be better with minimal investment of time or money. Just a thought. Certainly I'd swap the CPU cooler like Vic said. There is ZERO reason for it to be oriented the way it is now. All it is doing is firing heat directly at the closed back panel which is going to deflect right back towards the motherboard and CPU cooler. At least oriented vertically it will have some chance to exit through the top vents with or without exhaust fans installed there. With exhaust fans installed in the top would certainly be a LOT better though.

Fans are on the bottom blowing up. My theory was that the air blowing back from the cpu cooler will be pushed up from the pressure of the case fans blowing against it. Definitely not optimum though it looks nice! 🆒

Thanks for the feed back I will definitely keep it under advisement!

TRENDING THREADS